Talk

Advanced search

Please share your mind boggling ponderings.

(241 Posts)
Florries Sat 05-Jan-19 21:54:29

My baby is 8 months old and I find myself staring at him, thinking 'I GREW that!' I made those tiny fingers and tiny toenails. My human body actually produced another human. It's just amazing when you sit at think about it.

And what's really blown my mind is thinking that I was born with all my eggs, all ready and waiting to go - it's like I carried DS around with me my whole life until one day that particular egg desended and it met that 1 particular sperm which made DS. If it had been any of the other eggs, I could have a completely different baby!

Women's bodies are amazing.

Please share your own equally pointless but also mind bending ponderings.

Florries Sat 05-Jan-19 21:56:17

Just asked DH and he said that the person who discovered milk must have looked at a cows udders and thought 'I wonder what that tastes like...'

Thatlife Sat 05-Jan-19 22:01:02

Lots of food related ones for me. Like who thought of how to make things like bread? Why would you grind something. Then mix it with something. Then put it over a fire... the thought would never cross my mind!

The other one I marvel at is whoever invented knitting. I'd never have looked at a sheep and thought "if I takes its fluff off, pull it into long strands and then intricately knot it back and forth between two sticks, I'll have a cracking jumper".

Some people are so creative ;)

Missyagravation Sat 05-Jan-19 22:05:44

I imagine the thoughts would be, my baby is hungry, that does udders grew that really big baby cow, wonder if my baby would grow from the stuff that comes out. Also, that sheep looks really warm, that stuff comes off, maybe make me warm too.

Let's face it, humans didn't have the internet, plus lots of necessity, time for trial and error.

The whole nature of reality, consciousness, quantum entanglement stuff blows my mind. We know so much, yet so little.

Sparklingbrook Sat 05-Jan-19 22:06:09

As we are born with all our eggs then a bit of me was inside my Nan when she was pregnant with my Mum.

Boyskeepswinging Sat 05-Jan-19 22:08:31

Keeping the food theme, how did people realise that heating/cooking some foods makes them taste better? How long did people eat raw meat until someone exposed a hunk of raw meat to a fire and suddenly ... wow! This tastes so much better!
And, yes, the cow's milk thing continues to freak me out ... and don't get me started on cheese and how rennet was discovered ...

AornisHades Sat 05-Jan-19 22:14:59

On the cooking theme, kidney beans. If you don't cook them right they have arsenic in or something else bad. How many people got ill before someone figured it out and why did they keep trying?

TheClitterati Sat 05-Jan-19 22:16:02

We are on a spinning planet suspended in space - where does space end? Are there edges? Or does it all go on for infinity? Is our planet in fact the equivalent of a spec of dust in an infinite universe?

We are ants.

KissingInTheRain Sat 05-Jan-19 22:16:07

Languages.

So many, so different. Some have been and gone. Others haven’t developed yet. But humans are capable of learning all of them (as long as there’s enough of a language left) whenever or wherever they came (or come) about.

TheClitterati Sat 05-Jan-19 22:16:58

We are ants that existed inside our grandmothers

YouBoggleMyMind Sat 05-Jan-19 22:18:46

I understand the mechanics behind it, but it boggles my mind how a jumbo jet can actually take off and fly.

keepingbees Sat 05-Jan-19 22:18:51

Similar to a previous poster, what's the universe 'in'. How can space just be infinite, it must be contained in something otherwise where does it end. And then where does that end confused

Also yes how were different foods invented or discovered. How many people died just so we know what mushrooms are safe for example...

Bellybootcut Sat 05-Jan-19 22:22:13

Where is everybody that died EVER buried? Headstones only seem to exist from 18th century. The ground must be full of unmarked graves. Grim but it fascinates me!

TheClitterati Sat 05-Jan-19 22:25:32

@YouBoggleMyMind I usually have those thoughts midway across the Pacific in a jumbo jet shock

YouBoggleMyMind Sat 05-Jan-19 22:28:23

@TheClitterati I remember being in Terminal 5 at Healthrow, waiting to go on my honeymoon, watching a A380 go down the run way and take off... it just looked like it was crawling along!!

TheClitterati Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:08

Life essence - wow! What is that about? So even though we can identify all the chemical and physical parts of say an Apple, we can never make an apple. Apples must grow and are infused with some kind of living energy we cannot recreate.

SagelyNodding Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:16

How the hell did someone decide to heat sand and stuff to make glass?
I think I also read that we are born with our 'eggs' already in our ovaries... So our mother grew the eggs we use to become mothers if that makes sense! Amazing

doodlejump1980 Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:24

For me it’s “how do they organise the music for strictly”.
Loads of different types of dances every week with different songs. They must know in advance what tunes they need to arrange for the dancers to practice, but then, what if that couple goes out? Needless work. Or do they have 12 arrangements x 12 couples x 12 dances? I need to know!!

Halfeatentoast Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:43

Florries Yes it is astonishing! Comedian Michelle Wolf has a funny bit in one of her routines about how amazing it is that not only do women grow babies of the same sex but we can grow babies of the OPPOSITE sex - we can make and grow bits of humans we don't even have ourselves. Incredible.

Xmastinseltown Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:54

It amazes me how many animals can even think to try and stand up and walk (never mind actually do it!) immediately after birth.

SneakyGremlins Sat 05-Jan-19 22:29:55

HOW DOES A TINY SEED BECOME A THREE METER TALL PLANT???

babysharkah Sat 05-Jan-19 22:30:06

Teeth. All those teeth already there.

TheClitterati Sat 05-Jan-19 22:31:52

Herbivores - get all they need to grow other cows/horses/hippos from a pretty much a mono diet of grass.

Grass has everything required to make cows!

YouBoggleMyMind Sat 05-Jan-19 22:35:26

Who decided to drink grapes that looked past their best and go ohhh I'll call that Shiraz!

Boyskeepswinging Sat 05-Jan-19 22:37:20

Re. the Strictly music: I once heard an interview with Dave Arch where he said he gets told the songs for the Saturday on the previous Sunday. So he puts together the arrangements in less than a week. Whilst it is a mammoth task, don't forget all the band are very seasoned session musicians who will be able to sight read the music straight away at the first run through. The songs are always well-known anyway which will help a lot, too.
I get the impression the dancers practice to the original music, then Dave does the arrangement to fit in with what they need time-wise on the dancefloor.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: