Talk

Advanced search

It's that stressful time of the year again..do you or don't you?!

(111 Posts)
BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:07:17

Xmas presents for school teachers, etc. DS is in Reception and i have bought small choc presents for his teacher and TA but also got the lunch time supervisors a box of chocs as they have a difficult job and are under appreciated. But then what about all the other staff..the care taker and secretary for e.g..where do you draw the line esp when on a budget?
So what do you do? Do you buy or not buy and for whom?
Thanks ..and happy Xmas all grin

SoyDora Mon 17-Dec-18 19:08:57

I bought a gift for DD’s teacher and 2 TA’s. (DD is in reception). Surely that’s plenty?

AaahhwoooooOOOOooOOOOo1 Mon 17-Dec-18 19:10:32

DD and I made cookies this weekend and spend a few quid on Christmas bags.

She has about 30 to give away for less than the cost of a tin of Heroes.

Job jobbed.

AaahhwoooooOOOOooOOOOo1 Mon 17-Dec-18 19:11:14

Oh... and they’re dry as saw dust but I’m hoping the recipients will appreciate the homely quality 🤣🤣🤣

80sMum Mon 17-Dec-18 19:11:28

Don't buy presents! If you feel desperate to give something, a card with some kind words from you will be quite sufficient - and probably preferable.

KitKat1985 Mon 17-Dec-18 19:11:30

Mine are both at nursery rather than school, but I bought each of them a box of nice biscuits to share amongst the staff that work in their room.

gamerwidow Mon 17-Dec-18 19:11:35

I only buy for the teacher and the TA now but in the past when I was PTA Chair I used to buy sweets for the staff room and office to say thank you for helping out with events.

AaahhwoooooOOOOooOOOOo1 Mon 17-Dec-18 19:11:46

sawdust

Sirzy Mon 17-Dec-18 19:12:12

I normally send a box of chocolates in for the kitchen staff.

This year I haven’t sent anything for kitchen staff as ds no longer goes near the hall. But I have got a little something for the office staff because they go above and beyond to
Help him

123rd Mon 17-Dec-18 19:12:22

One of the benefits of dc starting high school is there seems to be no expectation of buying presents for teachers -yay!!

DoveSecret Mon 17-Dec-18 19:21:12

Lemon drizzle cake never fails in the staff room😁

BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:29:16

@123rd...funny you should say as my friend said exactly the same today. Only another 6 years of present buying then!!

BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:31:36

@AaahhwoooooOOOOooOOOOo1...sawdust biscuits?!..I like your style!! But yeah homely they be!! You put in more effort and that would be appreciated..saw dust and all grin

AthenaisdeRochechouart Mon 17-Dec-18 19:31:47

What's "difficult" about being a lunchtime supervisor?

BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:35:21

Omg I've just realised there are two more TA's in his class I haven't bought anything for...aagghh!! Where will it end?! shock

BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:37:08

@AthenaisdeRochechouart...ah good question. Well my friend is one and she says it's horrendous and I sort of feel they aren't appreciated plus DS likes them all and says they're nice to him.

SoyDora Mon 17-Dec-18 19:38:23

You need to draw your own line.
I’ve just checked the website and there are 44 members of staff at DD’s school. No way I’m buying something for everyone. Just her teacher and her 2 regular TA’s. She’s written cards for some of the others (her favourites!)

MrsJonesAndMe Mon 17-Dec-18 19:39:19

I send in something for the staff room in the week they have the Christmas concerts and again sports day or there abouts. The summer one is a bigger hamper with tea, coffee, squash and biscuits etc

Sometimes a bunch of daffs at Easter too.

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Mon 17-Dec-18 19:40:02

The last couple of years I have given general gifts of biscuits, coffee etc into the office for all the staff, done a card for all the staff and then cards for the class teacher and TA. I just couldn’t keep up otherwise and there were too many teachers to buy individual gifts for that I suspected they didn’t want anyway. Cards are always appreciated I think.

Being a lunchtime supervisor is a difficult job. You need eyes in the back of your head.

LittleLlamaontheduskyroad Mon 17-Dec-18 19:40:24

I do get something for the teacher & TAs, no one else. What I get depends on how much I rate them. DD1 teacher this year is not great, so I've just got chocs. Her teacher last year was amazing, so I got a funny game and a voucher.

PaulHollywoodsSexGut Mon 17-Dec-18 19:43:43

I hope to god above that by the time my DD goes to school the practice will have ended.

That’s not a bitch slap to you OP, I just think it’s really OTT and yes a nice gesture but it’s one of these things that’s become a THING.

Just another thing to add to the long list of “little things” at Christmas.

Cherrysherbet Mon 17-Dec-18 19:46:35

I buy for the two class teachers, ta, head, and 2 office ladies. I’d like to buy for everyone, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

BooseysMom Mon 17-Dec-18 19:54:14

Thanks for all the great comments. Always an interesting seasonal topic.

@PaulHollywoodsSexGut...no offence taken..I totally love your name btw grin.. hilarious! Yes present buying for teachers has become "Americanized" like everything else nowadays. And I've fallen into the trap.

PinkCalluna Mon 17-Dec-18 19:56:52

I just buy for teachers, we’re in Scotland so no TAs.

I also buy something for their music teachers and sports coaches.

AthenaisdeRochechouart Mon 17-Dec-18 20:08:00

If your friend thinks being a lunchtime supervisor is "horrendous" then she is in the wrong job.

I never bought for any members of staff at DD's primary - Xmas doesn't have to be about out of control random present giving.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: