Talk

Advanced search

I have the hangover 'fear'

(19 Posts)
gunge Sun 16-Dec-18 14:57:59

Xmas night out last night. Was all going fine until near the end when I went on a bit of a downer and started moaning to someone that I was rubbish, didn't belong here etc.
I was feeling a bit on the edge of things, like I didn't quite fit in but up to that point I'd been happy drunk and fine.
I don't remember exactly but I think someone got annoyed and told me to be more confident.
I went home soon after so thankfully avoided further embarrassment.
It's not like me to go on a downer but it's been a tough time recently.
I'm so embarrassed and annoyed at myself as I feel exposed and didn't want people to see my vulnerability.
Perhaps it's just the hangover but it's making me anxious and sad.

ScreamingValenta Sun 16-Dec-18 15:01:27

It is just the hangover fear - from what you say you have done nothing terrible. Having a drunken moan is very commonplace and others will have been drunk too. I doubt anyone will remember your moan for very long, if at all.

Bubbagump1991 Sun 16-Dec-18 15:06:43

I had this last Saturday. Please don’t worry. I went into work Monday to find out people had been alottttttt worse than me. Even managers being sick outside! It could be worse. People probably don’t even remember

BlueBrush Sun 16-Dec-18 15:08:18

It's just the Fear talking. Don't listen to the Fear! It will lie to you! I'm sure no-one will think anything of it. Get a cup if tea and a biscuit and watch something stupid and Christmassy on TV, and forget about last night.

gunge Sun 16-Dec-18 15:15:19

Thanks 🙂
At least I didn't be sick, flash, shag someone I shouldn't!
Went home to my lovely DH who stayed up and helped put me to bed then made me a cooked breakfast this am smile

LadyMarmyLard Sun 16-Dec-18 15:17:49

Oh is that all? You had a moan? God don't worry about that, plenty worse going down at these Xmas parties.
Anyway the person that got 'annoyed' is probably also at home with the fear thinking they were unreasonably annoyed with you.

Trust me, you're fine.

KitNCaboodle Sun 16-Dec-18 15:21:09

Hangxiety is horrible. You did nothing wrong. Don’t listen to your gremlins.

Maryberryjam Sun 16-Dec-18 15:43:03

Dont worry , everyone else was probably just as drunk as you were . The fear is shit .

Laiste Sun 16-Dec-18 15:43:41

It took me a good few years to realise that if i was feeling a bit on the down/depressed/angry side when i started drinking there was a 50/50 risk of the alcohol making me feel much worse. Spiraling miserably into your glass is a horrible feeling and it was usually accompanied by anxiety the next day.

flowers

Check your mood before you start drinking. My tip smile

gunge Sun 16-Dec-18 15:43:43

The lady who told me off for moaning, I'm not sure about really. She outwardly seems very nice but there's an edge to her.
I am going to work on my confidence next year though.

colditz Sun 16-Dec-18 15:44:30

It's just hangxiety, have some toast and jam, and a nap on the sofa

gunge Sun 16-Dec-18 15:45:37

You're right Laiste
Normally I'm happy drunk and to be fair I was 95 percent of last night. But my mood has been up and down recently due to a stressful patch. I should have drank less or not at all.

AdelaideK Sun 16-Dec-18 15:51:03

Beer fear is awful and puts me off drinking.

I bet loads happened after you'd gone home that people will be cringing at. Your moan won't even have registered

PaintBySticker Sun 16-Dec-18 15:59:07

It’s the fear. I cried at my work Christmas drinks this week (we’re going through an organisational change with redundancies looming). Yes it’s a bit embarrassing but there are worse things. I didn’t cause any harm to anyone, just a few tears. I promise you’ll feel better once you’ve recovered from the hangover.

gunge Sun 16-Dec-18 16:02:25

I went home at midnight. Others kept going until the early hours. They are all saying what a great night it was but surely someone did something more embarrassing than me after I left?!

DaphneFanshaw Sun 16-Dec-18 16:04:38

Ah, maybe the woman who moaned at you is worrying about being a bit snappy with you.
If you left before everyone else the chances are that they carried on drinking and it wall all be a blur anyway.

CakeNinja Sun 16-Dec-18 17:27:28

Ahh if you left early there will have been far worse than a bit of letting off steam going on.
Although it’s beerfear so not entirely rational thinking!
I do drive to my Christmas do with the work lot for this reason, I love a good drink but then become a bit crazy and I prefer to keep that to my close circle of friends grin
works do, I drive, show my face, chat to people and then drive home again.

Easy to say but try not to dwell too hard, venting is hardly the most outrageous behaviour. I bet no one else has even thought twice about it today. flowers

Chewbecca Sun 16-Dec-18 17:28:42

What were you drinking?
I think gin does this to me.

Blueskywhy Sun 16-Dec-18 17:33:54

I used to like drinking (1/2 bottle wine on Fri & Sat evening, sometimes go out with friends or work events), but sometime during my 30s afterwards I started occasionally feeling what I'd now call Hangxiety ... so for me it is a real feeling. I never seemed to have that during my teens or 20s. I wonder why? As a result I very seldom drink now, and feel so much better for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »