Talk

Advanced search

What's the weirdest thing you've been served in a restaurant?

(55 Posts)
Thisnamechanger Sun 16-Dec-18 14:46:21

Waiting for a flight and terrified of flying so need some distraction!

We popped into a restaurant in Inverness before going to the airport...DP ordered a steak and cheese Mexican wrap... expecting a fajita type of thing...

What arrived was a HUGE wrap covered in cheese and what looked like heated up canned tomatoes, which contained beef stew and gravy, with cut up cocktail gherkins on the top.

Really odd.

How about you?

BibiThree Sun 16-Dec-18 14:49:05

We ordered two side dishes for our veggie kids while in Ireland as they were the only veggie things on the menu, veg soup and some mash. It came in one bowl, a mountain of mash surrounded by a moat of veg soup.

noblegiraffe Sun 16-Dec-18 14:54:27

A bowl of what looked like blood in a really creepy restaurant where the lamp fittings were hands coming out of the walls.

It was in Hungary and I had no idea what the menu said, so it was very disturbing when it turned up. I think it was actually beetroot.

Lucylugs Sun 16-Dec-18 14:55:06

@bibiThree I believe that's known as a 'Baby bowl' I only heard of it from my brother. Usually ordered when kids are small and won't eat full meal.

chemenger Sun 16-Dec-18 14:57:11

Broccoli stalks. The florets were being served at an event in the function room of the hotel we were staying in while the restaurant guests got the stalks. It took us ages to figure out what they were.

VittysCardigan Sun 16-Dec-18 15:02:21

Grapes on cocktail sticks, served after an Indian meal. One for each person at the table. Oh, and for some reason one of the grapes didn't have a stick.

juneybean Sun 16-Dec-18 15:04:04

A fairly posh restaurant in Fuerteventura, served an appetiser of a mini hot dog on a cocktail stick in a puddle of ketchup. hmm

BibiThree Sun 16-Dec-18 15:22:44

That explains it @Lucylugs - they were small at the time.

EnglishGirlApproximately Sun 16-Dec-18 15:25:02

I was served a whole roast chicken on top of a wrap once in Panama grin I think it may have been a language barrier issue grin

Heuschrecke Sun 16-Dec-18 15:45:34

On a skiing holiday in Soldeu in Andorra we'd gone out to a restaurant which served quite traditional Andorran food. I'd ordered something (no idea what it was called) which was basically a meat stew topped with escargots. It duly turned up in a large bowl so the escargots were on top (the starter?) with the stew underneath (the main?). So I ate the escargots and then got stuck into the meat stew, which was also filled with smaller escargots. It was utterly utterly delicious - perfect as a filling meal after a long day's skiing!

MyPoodleisWorthTenofYou Sun 16-Dec-18 15:49:52

In South Korea we had a pizza with a whole crab sitting on top, arranged artfully with his front claws sticking angrily up at you.

BoswellsBollocks Sun 16-Dec-18 15:50:09

A whole, peeled banana on top of a chicken korma in an Indian restaurant.

I really hate bananas.

Thisnamechanger Sun 16-Dec-18 17:21:31

A whole, peeled banana on top of a chicken korma in an Indian restaurant

Blergh!

hoki Sun 16-Dec-18 17:31:15

Guinea pig in a restaurant in Peru. In fairness we knew what we were ordering.

quirkychick Sun 16-Dec-18 17:36:57

Years ago as a student, a pizza place in a shopping centre. I ordered a veggie pizza and a pizza came with mixed frozen veg on top: peas, cubes of swede and carrot... still half frozen confused.

ikltownofboothlehem Sun 16-Dec-18 17:48:04

Our local curry house changed hands so we went in to try it. My curry came with whole, raw radishes stuck in it and DS's side salad had strawberries and olives.

WhattodoWhattodo2 Sun 16-Dec-18 18:54:59

A heart on a skewer in a Peruvian restaurant.

DaisyDreaming Sun 16-Dec-18 19:05:58

Ordered a pizza which came with chips and mayo. I wasn’t expecting the chips and mayo to be the pizza topping!

LizTaylorsFabulousTurban Sun 16-Dec-18 19:07:54

Ordering scallops for one person. Language barrier meant we got one solitary scallop on a huge plate.

AgathaRaisinsCat Sun 16-Dec-18 19:09:02

Brioche with a slice of goat's cheese topped with lavender ice cream.

Wintermuter Sun 16-Dec-18 19:09:45

Shell on prawns speared on sticks stuck into a small hillock of mashed potato with gravy. It was like a kind of prawn crucifixion scene.

BrylcreamBeret Sun 16-Dec-18 19:13:01

One scallop grin was it a super size scallop at least??

AnotherPidgey Sun 16-Dec-18 19:18:04

Spaghetti bolognese in a Harvester. Value dog food would have been a better description of the look of the sauce and the smell.

Apparently it was sent back every time it was ordered. The waitress was embarassed by it and wished it could be removed from the menu.

CandyMelts Sun 16-Dec-18 19:18:43

Not a restaurant but my work canteen bloody love a pickled onion, they turn up in everything: pie, soups, fajitas, pasta dishes

ReggieKrayDoYouKnowMyName Sun 16-Dec-18 19:22:05

Wintermuter that’s made my day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: