Talk

Advanced search

A question about rehoming cats - one of them has a could be temporary heart murmur

(6 Posts)
wondering1101 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:19:31

Just been to see to lovely 4 month old kittens. They need to be rehomed together. Both are part of an abandoned litter and were covered in fleas - dehydrated - upset stomachs etc...

They are both a lot better but one has been left with what could be a temporary heart murmur - they will know at the 6 month check.

If it is not temporary - it might only affect him in much later life so would not be an issue.

So my question is - as a pre existing condition should I just not go ahead and adopt them because while I can afford pet insurance, I can’t afford to pay for vet bills myself.

Also - will the heart murmur stop the insurance from covering other things that might go wrong with the kitten?

Thanks a lot for your advice smile.

wondering1101 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:19:50

Two not to kittens!!

wondering1101 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:37:16

Any advice really appreciated smile.

Flower777 Sun 16-Dec-18 14:43:35

I would ring a pet insurance company and ask.

But also be aware that pet insurance doesn’t cover 100%. Pets can get quite expensive so just bear that in mind.

wondering1101 Sun 16-Dec-18 15:39:18

Thanks.

I rang the pet insurance company and they said they would cover for other things, and would hold off on covering for anything heart related for a year. Hoping that then the murmur is no longer there. Which according to my internet research does happen - it goes away quite often.

spiderplantsalad Sun 16-Dec-18 15:46:10

I adopted an elderly cat with a heart murmur and he had no issues with it at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »