Talk

Advanced search

I've just watched The Holiday and now my toes need to be surgically unclenched

(167 Posts)
MorrisZapp Wed 12-Dec-18 12:02:51

Worst film ever? Long, boring, weird, choppy editing, atrocious script, blatant Bridget Jones wannabe, and Jude fucking Law.

I've just realised I hadn't heard his voice before. Its the most unsexy voice this side of Jacob Rees Mogg.

Bizarre exercise montage in a pool.

World famous script writer with no friends until KW lovelies him.

When Diaz danced to the Killers I wanted to punch myself. I muted it and held on.

My sister in law watches this shite every year! I'm speechless. I don't want to see Jack Black kissing anybody, ever again. In fact I don't want to kiss anybody, ever again.

NO KISSING.

fourbaubles Wed 12-Dec-18 12:05:27

But that cottage (only accessible across several fields it seems) is to die for!

barrelohflaughs Wed 12-Dec-18 12:09:13

I agree. It’s an awful film. Along with Love Acrually

barrelohflaughs Wed 12-Dec-18 12:09:20

*actually

CaraCarbonara Wed 12-Dec-18 12:11:03

Your thread title has made me want to watch the film - I do enjoy a buttock clenching film now and then!

TwistedStitch Wed 12-Dec-18 12:11:16

Kate Winslet has more chemistry with the lovely old screenwriter than Jack Black! I like their story and scenes, didn't like the rest of the film.

bobstersmum Wed 12-Dec-18 12:12:25

I love the holiday! It's a twee sickly sweet film, didn't you know that before you watched it?

halfwitpicker Wed 12-Dec-18 12:13:31

I skip the bits in LA and just concentrate on the jude law bits. He is fit in that film.

MorrisZapp Wed 12-Dec-18 12:14:29

The cottage is adorable but the LA pad is weird, I'd be terrified alone there!

She's just kicked Rufus Sewell, her three year bad boy, out of her luxury gaff after he's flown transatlantic to see her.

THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN KATE

Buddyelf Wed 12-Dec-18 12:15:50

I actually like that film and I find Jude Law and his voice seriously sexy in it - but only in this film. Don't like him otherwise

Mutiny0nTheBunty Wed 12-Dec-18 12:15:53

God I agree! It was awful. Like KW and CD and can take or leave JL and JB most of the time but there's just zero chemistry between them and the characters are just odd. Can't really warm to them at all.

Cottage is admittedly gorgeous but comes with the obligatory snow-at-Christmas that seem to accompany all Christmas films no matter where they are set.

MorrisZapp Wed 12-Dec-18 12:15:53

Diaz can rock a cashmere knit, I'll give her that.

I just wish everyone would stop kissing. It's worse than when I was seven and JR got jiggy with Sue Ellen.

knockknockknock Wed 12-Dec-18 12:16:06

Never seen the film but apparently the house (or the one it was based on) is for sale. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53576505.html

thesepretzelsaremakingmehungry Wed 12-Dec-18 12:22:05

@knockknockknock it's beautiful fshock

I can't figure out which part of next door it's attached to.

LucilleBluth Wed 12-Dec-18 12:24:26

Jack Black is seriously miscast in this. He's meant to be in love with his cheating girlfriend but they have no chemistry, she's awful.

Kate Winslet is a wet blanket and I would much rather be in LA than in that freezing cottage.

Cameron Diaz's character is odd. Can't cry, what's that about. She overacts all the way through.

I would definitely shag Jude Law, even now.

Trills Wed 12-Dec-18 12:26:02

It is a work of art.

Nothing in it is remotely realistic, but it doesn't need to be.

It's set in an alternate reality.

IamPickleRick Wed 12-Dec-18 12:29:01

Saw it last night for the first time since it came out. Why is it sooooo long. We can all surmise the end, honestly, 2hrs 45mins confused

I found Diaz a bit too silly at the start. She sort of delicately huffs and puffs instead of acting.

halfwitpicker Wed 12-Dec-18 12:29:08

Diaz can rock a cashmere knit, I'll give her that.

^grin

Yes Jack Black was badly cast. Like, who is he actually supposed to be?

MyHeartIsBrokeButIHaveSomeGlue Wed 12-Dec-18 12:29:46

Oooo I like The Holiday and Jude Law in it (accepting it for what it is, a stinking piece of cheese), except I have a massive aversion to Jack Black. A romance with him is all kinds of wrong. The part of the film where he is singing and ad-libbing makes me feel queasy. I think he was meant to be cute but he is just cringe.

DeeStopia Wed 12-Dec-18 12:31:44

Love Actually does this to me. My new DP likes it and I have ruined it for him by pointing out how awful everyone is, especially the whole Keira Knightley set up. Vom.

GiveMeAllTheGin8 Wed 12-Dec-18 12:34:12

I absolutely love this film!!! How can you not love itshock

Bunnymumma Wed 12-Dec-18 12:34:18

Jude Law makes me want to vomit into my hat and then wear it so it drips into my eyes and I don't have to look at his face.

As you can tell, not a fan.

I watched Die Hard as our first Crimbo film of the season last night and had a good perv at Alan Rickman.

Badtasteflump Wed 12-Dec-18 12:37:32

Ha, I don't usually like Jude Law but I loved him in The Holiday - it's one of my favourite Christmas films - right up there with Family Man and Love Actually.

You've reminded me to watch it grin

MorrisZapp Wed 12-Dec-18 12:41:37

LA timescales:

Kate meets a random man, befriends him to the point of hosting his Hanukkah party. Further befriends him, to the point of opening his mail. Persuades him to attend event. Gets him in physical shape to attend event. Event is organised, the whole of Hollywood turns up. Just before Christmas. There's still half an hour of antics left and she's supposed to be there for TEN DAYS.

MattFreisCheekyDimples Wed 12-Dec-18 12:43:14

Agree! And yy to Love Actually as well. I couldn't even get to the end of that. But everyone seems to love them. Mystifying. So glad someone else has said it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »