Talk

Advanced search

Marriage and double barrelled surname for wife only

(34 Posts)
DDogMum Wed 03-Oct-18 09:16:03

I realise this is a first world problem, but I need some help please!

I'm getting married soon, and double barrelling my surname. My husband will keep his surname only.
So he will be Mr J Smith, and I will be Mrs K Smith-Jones.

WWYD when signing off together?
A) Mr and Mrs J Smith?
B) Mr and Mrs Smith-Jones?
C) Mr J Smith and Mrs K Smith-Jones?

YellowStickies Wed 03-Oct-18 09:59:26

Also, if it's important to you to have the same surname as your child you don't have to wait until you get married.

DDogMum Wed 03-Oct-18 09:59:44

Thank you @Babdoc and @AnnoyedByAlfieBear for your responses

@Babdoc I don't have those concerns and don't feel that I'm compromising at all as this is my choice. Our son will share the exact same name as me when I double barrel my name, and I will share my husbands name which is what I want.

I'm off to work now, but thank you again for everyone's responses

IStandWithPosie Wed 03-Oct-18 10:03:58

I wonder why your husband doesn’t want to share the same name as his child.

Meet0nTheIedge Wed 03-Oct-18 10:10:51

It would be the same as any other couple who have different surnames, so Ms X Hersurname and Mr Y Hissurname.

I too can think of virtually no circumstances in which it has been necessary though (20 years married with both keeping own surnames). But that is how mail to us gets addressed (apart from when people make a mistake and put Mr and Mrs Surname). Most of our correspondence still seems to be separate though.

littleblackno Wed 03-Oct-18 10:11:11

I double barrelled my surname and regretted not just keeping my own surname- have gone back to it since diveorcing him. Kids each have my maiden name as middle name.
That said it’s up to you what you want to call yourself and I understand wanting to have same name as kids (although it really makes no difference nowadays).
I don’t think you need to worry what you sign off as pp said not sure when this would happen.

Knittedfairies Wed 03-Oct-18 10:20:02

My daughter kept her own surname when she married, so Ms Fairies but Mrs K for dull stuff. She has had issues though collecting stuff at the Post Office addressed to Mr and Mrs K. She had to go back with her passport and marriage certificate. You will never sign anything as Mr and Mrs; as pointed out upthread you’d sign two names.

Jaxtellerswife Wed 03-Oct-18 10:22:55

Oh good grief to some of thesehmm
I will be doing the same op. My partners name is kind of dull anyway lol.
I changed mine to my step dads via deed poll years ago and want to keep it but also recognise my (future) married name and the names of my children are also double barrelled.
He's welcome to take mine too but if not that's his choice.
Feminism is surely about having the choice? Anyway, irrrlevant as that's not what you asked!

DDogMum Wed 03-Oct-18 10:28:57

@Jaxtellerswife I think I love you!!!

Jaxtellerswife Wed 03-Oct-18 15:18:25

@DDogMum grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »