Talk

Advanced search

Things you wished your kids loved

(89 Posts)
HolyFuckNuggets Sun 23-Sep-18 18:16:35

Just tried to force entice DD (4) to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with me and she hated it. To be fair I think shes a few years too young yet but she's the last of 3 kids and the other 2 hated it. They also weren't as fussed on Roald Dhal books as I'd hope.

Mary Poppins is another film I really wanted to watch with them as kids that they hated so I'm leaving DD another while before trying that one!

So, apart from the obvious (veggies, healthy food etc) what did you hope your kids would love that they refuse to, no matter how hard you try?

I will also add bikes to the list, they just don't like them.
And the beach.

GandolfBold Tue 25-Sep-18 06:59:27

Wish ds would like cake!

pinkmagic1 Tue 25-Sep-18 06:44:23

Horses. I inherited the love of them from my dm but neither of my 2 are remotely interested.

WannabeGilmoreGirl Mon 24-Sep-18 23:04:42

Ballet, or any kind of dancing but neither loved it as much as I did (do).

I would love to go to watch them dance and share something that meant so much to me as a child but neither of my girls are remotely interested.

Considering taking up adult ballet but would look like a hippo in a tutu these days 🤔😣

BBTHREE76 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:59:13

Turkey! 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄 Sadky neither DH or DS will touch it.

Speculoos Mon 24-Sep-18 22:54:53

Anne of Green Gables

villainousbroodmare Mon 24-Sep-18 22:53:12

Cuddling nicely, as opposed to the thrashy, kicky, finger-in-yer-eye stuff.

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 24-Sep-18 22:52:10

Green veg

HolyFuckNuggets Mon 24-Sep-18 22:51:39

Clubs!! Any sort of club is an absolute no in this house. DS1 tried many but never found one he liked so gave up every one of them within weeks and DS2 has never had any interest in them. I am praying DD will like going to them because I think they're great for children's confidence and self esteem.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 24-Sep-18 22:47:37

Peas

CurlsandCurves Mon 24-Sep-18 22:46:51

Reading. They both see it as a chore. And for my youngest, the Scouting movement. He’s in cubs at the moment and wants to quit, says it’s boring. Even though his older brother is in Scouts and he sees all the cool stuff they get to do. I really want him to carry on, but I fear he won’t do beyond this term.

Ixnayonthehombre Mon 24-Sep-18 22:41:20

I thought I'd have shy, pink shunning, princess hating steretype smashing daughters, who'd love all my favourite films hmm.

Thatstheendofmytether Mon 24-Sep-18 22:32:11

Going out for a nice lunch or dinner or day out, but they just can't do it without fighting or moaning or being bloody annoying ( they probably come across as quite well behaved but they are like silent assassins), Harry potter, they both hate it.

welshmist Mon 24-Sep-18 22:29:09

Arts and crafts activities, making things, after 15 minutes they wandered off. I should have had girls then I could have spent hours making bead necklaces. sad

darkblu Mon 24-Sep-18 22:25:41

Sleeping! Sleeping in and being lazy grin

Echobelly Mon 24-Sep-18 22:24:48

I really expected DD to love Narnia series (which I still love, for all the Christian stuff), but she really never took to them. She also used to like Marvel films but has gone right off them. I think DH wishes DS loved or indeed had any capacity at all in maths!

A580Hojas Mon 24-Sep-18 22:22:47

School

NancyJoan Mon 24-Sep-18 22:19:17

A cup of tea. DD is 12, I really want to share with her the joy of a cuppa on the sofa with a book or a film. But nope, she tries it occasionally, she’s having none of it.

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Mon 24-Sep-18 14:13:24

I remember my poor dad desperately trying to get us into birdwatching. We were members of the young orthniologists (spelling?), got taken to lots of very boring hides and nature reserves and it just didn't catch on.

I am 37 now and bought some binoculars last year. So he got there in the end.

Neverknowingly Mon 24-Sep-18 13:59:57

Musicals including the West End.

Reading.

Walking the dog.

Having tidy bedrooms.

Playing board games (following the actual rules).

lynmilne65 Mon 24-Sep-18 08:30:22

Sprouts 😁

Namechange8471 Mon 24-Sep-18 07:58:48

And yes theme park rides!

We went to Siam park, amazing but she hated it 😩

Namechange8471 Mon 24-Sep-18 07:57:15

Reading, at my DDS age I was reading every Stephen king book I could find.

Hot drinks, I'd love to taker her for a hot chocolate but she can't stand hot drinks.

Titsywoo Sun 23-Sep-18 23:00:01

Scary rides! I'd love a family day out to a good theme park but my kids are such wimps that my daughter cried on the young kids rollercoaster at legoland. Disney in Florida was such a waste of time!

sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 23-Sep-18 22:55:02

Harry Potter 😩 non of them do, dd watched a bit with me yesterday but got bored really quickly. All the adults in the house like it. My lil brother (11) loves it but lives miles away so can’t really enjoy it with him 😐
My DS loves the 90’s music but dd and Dsis don’t they think it’s stupid music...l

Wish DS liked football. He is autistic which means I can’t always drag him him along to watch my sis play. He’s been good the first few matches.

bluechameleon Sun 23-Sep-18 22:36:18

Walking. I love going for walks in the woods, countryside, around town, anywhere. DS1 can now at 4 just about manage 10 minutes before he starts whining.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »