Talk

Advanced search

Things you wished your kids loved

(89 Posts)
HolyFuckNuggets Sun 23-Sep-18 18:16:35

Just tried to force entice DD (4) to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with me and she hated it. To be fair I think shes a few years too young yet but she's the last of 3 kids and the other 2 hated it. They also weren't as fussed on Roald Dhal books as I'd hope.

Mary Poppins is another film I really wanted to watch with them as kids that they hated so I'm leaving DD another while before trying that one!

So, apart from the obvious (veggies, healthy food etc) what did you hope your kids would love that they refuse to, no matter how hard you try?

I will also add bikes to the list, they just don't like them.
And the beach.

gunnergirl Sun 23-Sep-18 18:51:26

pie and mash and liqeour!!!!!!

NeverTalksToStrangers Sun 23-Sep-18 18:52:07

My 9yo is just now coming around to the idea that I'm not trying to poison him when i say food is yummy and is trying (and liking) more and more.. but he is convinced he doesn't like butter (even melted) or cheese. Happy to eat pizza, lasagne etc. hmm

7yo has it in his head that he doesn't like gravy, which is bollocks. He does. But just on chips. Or the school gravy. hmm

ny20005 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:54:28

Reading 😩 I've tried everything but they'll only read for school when the have too 😩

Stuckforthefourthtime Sun 23-Sep-18 18:54:29

Silence, definitely wink

Failing that, our issue is that we always seem to have at least one of our older dcs who doesn't like any given outdoor activity. 2 bike riders, one refuser. Two hikers, one hater. Two keen nature observers, one who'd prefer the TV... Etc etc etc

HolyFuckNuggets Sun 23-Sep-18 19:01:09

Also wishing they loved cosy evenings with films and snuggles but no, only DD likes those things, the older 2 wouldn't sit with us long enough to watch a film.

whatareyoueatingNOW Sun 23-Sep-18 19:03:55

Hairstyles! I could spend hours watching and recreating cool plaits and hairstyles from you tube. My dds? Not so much.

quackaday Sun 23-Sep-18 19:06:48

@whatareyoueatingNOW agh same here! I get roped in to do braids at the school fair and I'm in heaven! But my dd rarely lets me plait her hair 🙄

keepingbees Sun 23-Sep-18 19:06:50

Books. I love reading to them but none of them have ever sat and listened. Usually start chatting 2 lines in.
Also films. I see so many people having snuggle and film days with their kids. Mine are off playing, complaining, or wanting something else on before the opening credits have finished sad

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 23-Sep-18 19:08:16

Sylvanian Families. Shirley Hughes books.

gamerwidow Sun 23-Sep-18 19:10:03

Reading - I was such a bookworm as a child and always have a book on the go.
She will not read or be read to unless I force her which makes the whole experience thoroughly miserable. I’ve tried comics and every possible genre of book but everything’s a chore.

BitterAndTwistedChoreDodger Sun 23-Sep-18 19:10:17

Playmobil.

Growingboys Sun 23-Sep-18 19:12:22

Running. I'd love my older DC to come with me.

MorrisZapp Sun 23-Sep-18 19:17:05

Shopping. Going to cafes. Mooching. Walking. The Christmas Radio Times. Warm jumpers. Jigsaws. Food that isn't pasta.

kelper Sun 23-Sep-18 19:18:18

Reading.
Harry Potter.
Random spontaneous trips out.
Food with flavour.
Any film apart from Cars and Cars 2.
Talking quietly.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 23-Sep-18 19:19:51

Cabbage patch dolls- to be fair my baby is 14months but I’d hoped my older niece & nephew might have liked them...think they find them ugly sad

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 23-Sep-18 19:23:51

gunner sad DS6 pretends to like it, I think. At any rate, I get to eat mine and then his, which I 'my quite happy about.

Smurfybubbles Sun 23-Sep-18 19:27:40

Sleeping, I love it so much but DS has other plans....

Thighofrelief Sun 23-Sep-18 19:30:36

Sports, especially football - it seems to give men a lot of pleasure.

Ofchris Sun 23-Sep-18 19:32:07

Another one for reading. DH and I both love it but DD (11) and DS (8) have to be constantly cajoled to do it and get bored when I read to them.

StrongerThanIThought76 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:35:22

Rice. My store cupboard essential and have a full repertoire of ace recipies on a budget from student days.

But nope. Won't touch the stuff, however I cook it.

OnlyGlowingSlightly Sun 23-Sep-18 19:36:19

DD is almost 6yo.
I'm a techie geek who doesn't 'get' the attraction of makeup, shoes, and nice clothes (beyond looking socially acceptable)

My DD completely refused to use the enormous (second hand) train set we gave her on her 2nd birthday; she always finds an excuse not to build any of her many lego sets (of her favourite Disney characters); in fact the only building sets she has ever used have been pink and involved fairies.

And... at not quite 2 yo she literally gasped when the shoe shop assistant brought out a pair of red shoes; she chooses dresses or skirts regardless of the weather, because they are pretty; and her favourite birthday present last year was a 'top model' book with real makeup (given to her by a school friend).

BUT she is curious and interested in the world, logical and smart, as well as being kind, empathic and sensible.

She's absolutely perfect, and I wouldn't change a single thing about her for the world. smile

Blondie1993 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:40:33

Harry Potter! I’ve loved everything to do with Harry Potter since I was a kid but DS thinks it’s a bit scary. I really want to buy him Harry Potter Lego grin! He is only 6 though so hoping he will change his mind when he gets older blush.

Dauphinois Sun 23-Sep-18 19:41:07

Ponies, dogs, reading.

I love my kids to distraction but when I compare my childhood passions to theirs, we're streets apart.

Parttimewasteoftime Sun 23-Sep-18 19:42:51

Mine hate muppets Christmas Carol @fraggle84 😔 Wish they could sit still and chill no they like puppies 😂

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 23-Sep-18 19:52:48

Potatoes. Won't eat them in any form, including chips. It's a total pain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »