Talk

Advanced search

Things you wished your kids loved

(89 Posts)
HolyFuckNuggets Sun 23-Sep-18 18:16:35

Just tried to force entice DD (4) to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with me and she hated it. To be fair I think shes a few years too young yet but she's the last of 3 kids and the other 2 hated it. They also weren't as fussed on Roald Dhal books as I'd hope.

Mary Poppins is another film I really wanted to watch with them as kids that they hated so I'm leaving DD another while before trying that one!

So, apart from the obvious (veggies, healthy food etc) what did you hope your kids would love that they refuse to, no matter how hard you try?

I will also add bikes to the list, they just don't like them.
And the beach.

BennettonColours Sun 23-Sep-18 18:24:44

I have visions of taking mine to a cafe for a hot chocolate as a treat- it always ends up a complete nightmare.

wizzywig Sun 23-Sep-18 18:25:24

Travel, mooching and people watching. In silence

HoraceWimpIsThisYourLife Sun 23-Sep-18 18:25:49

Being quiet grin

Flashingbeacon Sun 23-Sep-18 18:28:52

Just dismantled the massive trampoline. Pretty sure ds hasn’t noticed.

Trialsmum Sun 23-Sep-18 18:29:16

The Snowman. I just don’t think it’s as magical for this generation 😢

FissionChips Sun 23-Sep-18 18:32:06

Funnybones books and television show. Dd is too much of a scary cat to watch or read them sad.

fraggle84 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:32:13

Muppets Christmas carol, every Christmas Eve they promise to watch it and within 15 mins is just me!!

ThreeLeggedCat Sun 23-Sep-18 18:33:05

Haggis.

C0untDucku1a Sun 23-Sep-18 18:33:49

Sitting nicely in a restaurant and eating anything other than the chips

SoftBlocks Sun 23-Sep-18 18:36:13

Eggs in anything other than cake.

Dowser Sun 23-Sep-18 18:36:16

Dowsing

museumum Sun 23-Sep-18 18:36:20

My ds does not like movies, hot chocolate or toasted marshmallows

Whose son is he????

Nquartz Sun 23-Sep-18 18:37:48

Reading, she's still at the stage of finding it hard & limited to.pretty crap books so no wonder really. I loved reading as a child & still do so would love her to as well.

And watching films, she 'ok watch tv for hours but hates watching films. Even bribing with popcorn doesn't work

CakeNinja Sun 23-Sep-18 18:39:36

Chinese takeaway!
It’s my favourite but the dc aren’t that keen. We very rarely have it because dp can take or leave it. However it’s my birthday this week and I’m bloody well having it!!

TeenTimesTwo Sun 23-Sep-18 18:40:00

lego

homework grin

DaisysStew Sun 23-Sep-18 18:40:25

Sleeping in his own bed and food that isn’t beige 😑😁

kezzy13 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:41:19

Animals! Can't take him to the zoo and I want to go!

mumonashoestring Sun 23-Sep-18 18:41:48

Colouring - he can't do it perfectly and so refuses to do it at all.

galaxy101 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:44:13

I'd love it if my kids knew how to CHILL OUT pre bed time. Something about the witching hour that sends my kids wild!

Crunchymum Sun 23-Sep-18 18:45:01

Swimming. Oldest DC hates getting his head wet... bath times are fun.

BluthsFrozenBananas Sun 23-Sep-18 18:45:03

Strictly, I want someone to watch it with, only the dog will sit with me when it’s on, and she doesn’t care if I think a dance was overmarked or I liked a particular dress.
Also cheese.

Andro Sun 23-Sep-18 18:45:42

I wish my DD liked something, anything, that didn't involve pink, fashion or mani/pedi's. Her birth parents were not into those things and neither I nor DH is either (although I endure the manicures for appearances and to fix the mess I make of my hands).

On the flip side, the most effective sanction I have for her involves the removal of her make-up or nail polish case.

whiteroseredrose Sun 23-Sep-18 18:46:54

Walking. DH and I always went for a walk on a Sunday. DS was OK about it too but DD made such a fuss and never stopped whinging that eventually we gave up.

BackforGood Sun 23-Sep-18 18:48:34

Tea.
How can I have raised 3 adult dc and not a tea drinker amongst them ??? shock

gunnergirl Sun 23-Sep-18 18:51:26

pie and mash and liqeour!!!!!!

NeverTalksToStrangers Sun 23-Sep-18 18:52:07

My 9yo is just now coming around to the idea that I'm not trying to poison him when i say food is yummy and is trying (and liking) more and more.. but he is convinced he doesn't like butter (even melted) or cheese. Happy to eat pizza, lasagne etc. hmm

7yo has it in his head that he doesn't like gravy, which is bollocks. He does. But just on chips. Or the school gravy. hmm

ny20005 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:54:28

Reading 😩 I've tried everything but they'll only read for school when the have too 😩

Stuckforthefourthtime Sun 23-Sep-18 18:54:29

Silence, definitely wink

Failing that, our issue is that we always seem to have at least one of our older dcs who doesn't like any given outdoor activity. 2 bike riders, one refuser. Two hikers, one hater. Two keen nature observers, one who'd prefer the TV... Etc etc etc

HolyFuckNuggets Sun 23-Sep-18 19:01:09

Also wishing they loved cosy evenings with films and snuggles but no, only DD likes those things, the older 2 wouldn't sit with us long enough to watch a film.

whatareyoueatingNOW Sun 23-Sep-18 19:03:55

Hairstyles! I could spend hours watching and recreating cool plaits and hairstyles from you tube. My dds? Not so much.

quackaday Sun 23-Sep-18 19:06:48

@whatareyoueatingNOW agh same here! I get roped in to do braids at the school fair and I'm in heaven! But my dd rarely lets me plait her hair 🙄

keepingbees Sun 23-Sep-18 19:06:50

Books. I love reading to them but none of them have ever sat and listened. Usually start chatting 2 lines in.
Also films. I see so many people having snuggle and film days with their kids. Mine are off playing, complaining, or wanting something else on before the opening credits have finished sad

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 23-Sep-18 19:08:16

Sylvanian Families. Shirley Hughes books.

gamerwidow Sun 23-Sep-18 19:10:03

Reading - I was such a bookworm as a child and always have a book on the go.
She will not read or be read to unless I force her which makes the whole experience thoroughly miserable. I’ve tried comics and every possible genre of book but everything’s a chore.

BitterAndTwistedChoreDodger Sun 23-Sep-18 19:10:17

Playmobil.

Growingboys Sun 23-Sep-18 19:12:22

Running. I'd love my older DC to come with me.

MorrisZapp Sun 23-Sep-18 19:17:05

Shopping. Going to cafes. Mooching. Walking. The Christmas Radio Times. Warm jumpers. Jigsaws. Food that isn't pasta.

kelper Sun 23-Sep-18 19:18:18

Reading.
Harry Potter.
Random spontaneous trips out.
Food with flavour.
Any film apart from Cars and Cars 2.
Talking quietly.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 23-Sep-18 19:19:51

Cabbage patch dolls- to be fair my baby is 14months but I’d hoped my older niece & nephew might have liked them...think they find them ugly sad

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 23-Sep-18 19:23:51

gunner sad DS6 pretends to like it, I think. At any rate, I get to eat mine and then his, which I 'my quite happy about.

Smurfybubbles Sun 23-Sep-18 19:27:40

Sleeping, I love it so much but DS has other plans....

Thighofrelief Sun 23-Sep-18 19:30:36

Sports, especially football - it seems to give men a lot of pleasure.

Ofchris Sun 23-Sep-18 19:32:07

Another one for reading. DH and I both love it but DD (11) and DS (8) have to be constantly cajoled to do it and get bored when I read to them.

StrongerThanIThought76 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:35:22

Rice. My store cupboard essential and have a full repertoire of ace recipies on a budget from student days.

But nope. Won't touch the stuff, however I cook it.

OnlyGlowingSlightly Sun 23-Sep-18 19:36:19

DD is almost 6yo.
I'm a techie geek who doesn't 'get' the attraction of makeup, shoes, and nice clothes (beyond looking socially acceptable)

My DD completely refused to use the enormous (second hand) train set we gave her on her 2nd birthday; she always finds an excuse not to build any of her many lego sets (of her favourite Disney characters); in fact the only building sets she has ever used have been pink and involved fairies.

And... at not quite 2 yo she literally gasped when the shoe shop assistant brought out a pair of red shoes; she chooses dresses or skirts regardless of the weather, because they are pretty; and her favourite birthday present last year was a 'top model' book with real makeup (given to her by a school friend).

BUT she is curious and interested in the world, logical and smart, as well as being kind, empathic and sensible.

She's absolutely perfect, and I wouldn't change a single thing about her for the world. smile

Blondie1993 Sun 23-Sep-18 19:40:33

Harry Potter! I’ve loved everything to do with Harry Potter since I was a kid but DS thinks it’s a bit scary. I really want to buy him Harry Potter Lego grin! He is only 6 though so hoping he will change his mind when he gets older blush.

Dauphinois Sun 23-Sep-18 19:41:07

Ponies, dogs, reading.

I love my kids to distraction but when I compare my childhood passions to theirs, we're streets apart.

Parttimewasteoftime Sun 23-Sep-18 19:42:51

Mine hate muppets Christmas Carol @fraggle84 😔 Wish they could sit still and chill no they like puppies 😂

Meet0nTheIedge Sun 23-Sep-18 19:52:48

Potatoes. Won't eat them in any form, including chips. It's a total pain.

threesenoughthanks Sun 23-Sep-18 20:08:37

The beach! We had a bad trip there when they were little and they've pretty much put a block up to it ever since. Neither me or dh like sitting on a beach but we love a bit of competitive rockpooling. The kids just roll their eyes and say no thanks.

LaDameAuxLicornes Sun 23-Sep-18 20:09:44

Spicy food
Courgettes/aubergines
Reading (this only goes for one, tbf)
Walking

helpingvsdoinghomework Sun 23-Sep-18 20:19:33

Fish. No one apart from me will eat fish... they also wretch at the smell...
Aubergines
Mushrooms
Courgettes
Sweet potato
Feta

However Dd does at least love a good chick film, snuggled on the sofa with her mummy!

PotteringAlong Sun 23-Sep-18 20:25:39

Lie ins

formerbabe Sun 23-Sep-18 20:27:54

Sandwiches...

Dc1 refuses to eat them. It's a complete pain especially if we're out and about and want to pick up a quick lunch.

Disfordarkchocolate Sun 23-Sep-18 20:30:53

None of them like trains, it makes me wonder if they are actually related to me. The youngest doesn't like a Muppet Christmas Carol, devastated as it's my favourite Christmas film.

NastyCats Sun 23-Sep-18 20:32:40

One of mine dies not like ice cream, cake or hit chocolate. Is she my child? She also won't watch films.
Lovely food.
Making diaries and scrapbooks. I loved that when I was younger. I am always buying them books to record their memories, achievements, happy times, things they like. End up in a corner of the dining room.

Jeffjefftyjeff Sun 23-Sep-18 20:35:17

Ditto sandwiches!
Also:
Heights. I want someone to go on tree climbing/ high wire type jaunts with me but - no joy.
Fayres/ fetes (too many people)
Camping (too much hassle. No WiFi)
Pie

Ratarse Sun 23-Sep-18 20:38:13

Smokey and the Bandit - won that one
Harry Potter - won that one
Pingu - they tolerated it (come on!)
Reading - only 1 got the 'buzz' of reading
Biology - got 1 totally into it
Camping - yep
Comic cons - got 4 into it
Beaches/surfing - yep

donkeysandzebras Sun 23-Sep-18 20:41:18

Hot chocolate. I always feel like "proper" mothers give their DC hot chocolate when they come in from playing outside in the winter. I could make it but it would never get drunk.
Warm clothes. DD is always hot and wearing at least one layer less than everyone else. She wore ankle socks & a skirt to school all of last year, including when there was snow on the ground, and I only wash her cardigan at the end of every half term as it just hangs on her peg. It's not so bad she's now in junior school as I feel that people realise this must be her choice but I used to feel like a terrible mother when she was a toddler, especially as I feel the cold so would be all bundled up.

Stripyhoglets1 Sun 23-Sep-18 21:09:26

Reading - they have too much else entertainment and don't know the pleasure of getting lost in a book.

MalcolmsBrokenWalrusMoneybox Sun 23-Sep-18 21:25:21

Reading
Wider variety of food
Tramping about the countryside
Warm clothes too, donkeys dc went to school in bare legs when it was - 7!!! (on less cold occasions I used to self consciously ask loudly "would you like to wear your COAT darling?" whenever another parent was in earshot to prove I was aware of the cold and dc DID HAVE THE OPTION OF WEARING A COAT)

MadMaryBoddington Sun 23-Sep-18 22:29:08

Horses.
Sylvanian families.

PierreBezukov Sun 23-Sep-18 22:32:21

Singing.

And music in general.

I come from a very musical family and my childhood was full of classical music, both listening to and playing.

BOTH DDs struggle to hold a tune. I despair grin

bluechameleon Sun 23-Sep-18 22:36:18

Walking. I love going for walks in the woods, countryside, around town, anywhere. DS1 can now at 4 just about manage 10 minutes before he starts whining.

sophisticatedsarcasm Sun 23-Sep-18 22:55:02

Harry Potter 😩 non of them do, dd watched a bit with me yesterday but got bored really quickly. All the adults in the house like it. My lil brother (11) loves it but lives miles away so can’t really enjoy it with him 😐
My DS loves the 90’s music but dd and Dsis don’t they think it’s stupid music...l

Wish DS liked football. He is autistic which means I can’t always drag him him along to watch my sis play. He’s been good the first few matches.

Titsywoo Sun 23-Sep-18 23:00:01

Scary rides! I'd love a family day out to a good theme park but my kids are such wimps that my daughter cried on the young kids rollercoaster at legoland. Disney in Florida was such a waste of time!

Namechange8471 Mon 24-Sep-18 07:57:15

Reading, at my DDS age I was reading every Stephen king book I could find.

Hot drinks, I'd love to taker her for a hot chocolate but she can't stand hot drinks.

Namechange8471 Mon 24-Sep-18 07:58:48

And yes theme park rides!

We went to Siam park, amazing but she hated it 😩

lynmilne65 Mon 24-Sep-18 08:30:22

Sprouts 😁

Neverknowingly Mon 24-Sep-18 13:59:57

Musicals including the West End.

Reading.

Walking the dog.

Having tidy bedrooms.

Playing board games (following the actual rules).

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Mon 24-Sep-18 14:13:24

I remember my poor dad desperately trying to get us into birdwatching. We were members of the young orthniologists (spelling?), got taken to lots of very boring hides and nature reserves and it just didn't catch on.

I am 37 now and bought some binoculars last year. So he got there in the end.

NancyJoan Mon 24-Sep-18 22:19:17

A cup of tea. DD is 12, I really want to share with her the joy of a cuppa on the sofa with a book or a film. But nope, she tries it occasionally, she’s having none of it.

A580Hojas Mon 24-Sep-18 22:22:47

School

Echobelly Mon 24-Sep-18 22:24:48

I really expected DD to love Narnia series (which I still love, for all the Christian stuff), but she really never took to them. She also used to like Marvel films but has gone right off them. I think DH wishes DS loved or indeed had any capacity at all in maths!

darkblu Mon 24-Sep-18 22:25:41

Sleeping! Sleeping in and being lazy grin

welshmist Mon 24-Sep-18 22:29:09

Arts and crafts activities, making things, after 15 minutes they wandered off. I should have had girls then I could have spent hours making bead necklaces. sad

Thatstheendofmytether Mon 24-Sep-18 22:32:11

Going out for a nice lunch or dinner or day out, but they just can't do it without fighting or moaning or being bloody annoying ( they probably come across as quite well behaved but they are like silent assassins), Harry potter, they both hate it.

Ixnayonthehombre Mon 24-Sep-18 22:41:20

I thought I'd have shy, pink shunning, princess hating steretype smashing daughters, who'd love all my favourite films hmm.

CurlsandCurves Mon 24-Sep-18 22:46:51

Reading. They both see it as a chore. And for my youngest, the Scouting movement. He’s in cubs at the moment and wants to quit, says it’s boring. Even though his older brother is in Scouts and he sees all the cool stuff they get to do. I really want him to carry on, but I fear he won’t do beyond this term.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 24-Sep-18 22:47:37

Peas

HolyFuckNuggets Mon 24-Sep-18 22:51:39

Clubs!! Any sort of club is an absolute no in this house. DS1 tried many but never found one he liked so gave up every one of them within weeks and DS2 has never had any interest in them. I am praying DD will like going to them because I think they're great for children's confidence and self esteem.

SlimDogMillionaire Mon 24-Sep-18 22:52:10

Green veg

villainousbroodmare Mon 24-Sep-18 22:53:12

Cuddling nicely, as opposed to the thrashy, kicky, finger-in-yer-eye stuff.

Speculoos Mon 24-Sep-18 22:54:53

Anne of Green Gables

BBTHREE76 Mon 24-Sep-18 22:59:13

Turkey! 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄 Sadky neither DH or DS will touch it.

WannabeGilmoreGirl Mon 24-Sep-18 23:04:42

Ballet, or any kind of dancing but neither loved it as much as I did (do).

I would love to go to watch them dance and share something that meant so much to me as a child but neither of my girls are remotely interested.

Considering taking up adult ballet but would look like a hippo in a tutu these days 🤔😣

pinkmagic1 Tue 25-Sep-18 06:44:23

Horses. I inherited the love of them from my dm but neither of my 2 are remotely interested.

GandolfBold Tue 25-Sep-18 06:59:27

Wish ds would like cake!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »