Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

What should I bring home from the US? (Tiny budget)

(25 Posts)
gonetolookforamerica Sat 11-Aug-18 22:26:44

We've not got much to spend, but I'd love some ideas of everyday things - food, homeware, stationery - that will be useful or fun or that will remind us of our holiday.

Any ideas?

gonetolookforamerica Sat 11-Aug-18 22:44:43

Hopeful bump...

ComeTheFuck0nBridget Sat 11-Aug-18 22:54:13

Peanut butter chips! Like chocolate chips, only peanut butter. So nice and one of the seemingly few things that haven't crossed over here!

Blankiefan Sat 11-Aug-18 22:59:27

Peanut butter m&ms.

gonetolookforamerica Sun 12-Aug-18 01:58:50

Unfortunately only one person in the house likes peanut butter... I'll get some for me though.grin

MouseholeCat Sun 12-Aug-18 04:21:19

If you want to do US clothes shop on a budget look and see if there's a Plato's Closet near you. It's marketed at teens, but plenty of adults shop there. It's fashional second-hand items and you get a lot of the big names at very cheap prices there.

Melatonin and the large canisters of naproxen and allergy meds- cheap and you can't buy off the shelf/in that quantity in the UK.

I'm a big flamin' hot cheetos fan. So wrong but so addictive.

Hot tamales/cinnamon flavour candy in general.

Girl Scout cookies.

MouseholeCat Sun 12-Aug-18 04:23:59

(just seen Plato's Closet also has a sister store for kids' clothes called 'Once upon a child')

Igorina Sun 12-Aug-18 04:34:07

Progresso Italian bread crumbs!

Grab as many as you can they are amazing for making meatballs and chicken.

Katedotness1963 Sun 12-Aug-18 05:08:58

Can you get ranch salad dressing in the U.K. now? It's my favourite, you can buy the powder in little packets.
Different flavours of Oreos?
Different M&M's, I love caramel.
Sweet potato butter.
Jack Daniels barbecue sauce.
Obligatory fridge magnet.
Look in TJMaxx for bargains.

ragged Sun 12-Aug-18 05:12:08

Where are you going? Why not get something specific to the places you visited.

Igorina Sun 12-Aug-18 05:21:29

Sweet potato butter?

Downeyhouse Sun 12-Aug-18 05:33:39

Tk Max have lovely bed linen and throw and blankets and cushions
If going now you nah find thanksgiving and fall themed kitchenware too

rosewater09 Sun 12-Aug-18 05:34:45

Where in the US are you? I would suggest checking out Nordstrom Rack for good deals on clothing.

gonetolookforamerica Sun 12-Aug-18 05:55:48

Igorina are those what make the meatballs here taste so amazing? If so, definitely picking up some packets of those.

Mouseholecat Good call on medication - I was thrilled to be able to buy an enormous jar of ibuprofen, hadn't thought to stock up on other things.

Katedotness1963 what is sweet potato butter?!

SofiaAmes Sun 12-Aug-18 06:01:11

If you like candles, yankee candles are waaay cheaper in the US. Oreos in a zillion flavors. Trader Joe's food.

RosaMallory Sun 12-Aug-18 06:33:34

Crunchy Cheetos.
Naproxen.
Grape jelly.

AgathaRaisonDetra Sun 12-Aug-18 06:38:43

Aerosol cheese.

Skittlesandbeer Sun 12-Aug-18 06:38:51

I’d be straight into the art shops first, craft shops second. Plenty of great brands that you can’t get elsewhere. But that’s just me. I’d also find a year-round Halloween shop and get me some of those electric glowing creepy decorations! Decorating & celebrating Halloween has become big around us, but the shops aren’t keeping up with the trend!

tentative3 Sun 12-Aug-18 06:41:53

Maple butter
Ghiradelli chocolate chips
Trader Joe's candied orange slices
Grape jelly
Welch's grape sweets, the soft ones
Caramel m&ms
Gluten free lea and Perrin's worcestershire sauce if you know anyone coeliac
Yes to medicine

TeddyIsaHe Sun 12-Aug-18 06:42:17

Go to Trader Joes if you’re near one, the food is amazing.

Also Cheezits - they’re like cheesy crack.

Katedotness1963 Sun 12-Aug-18 06:52:02

Sweet potato butter is hard to describe...I’m not sure we have anything like it in the UK. It’s a spread made with sweet potatoes and mixed spice. You buy it in jars. They have apple butter too. I like it on toast. We used to get it from Cracker Barrel when we visited the in laws in FL.

Babybearsporij Sun 12-Aug-18 08:34:39

Hersheys Gold Peanuts and Pretzel bar. As many as you can fit in your suitcase.

1Wanda1 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:06:50

They also have other flavours of M&Ms apart from peanut butter. Try the caramel ones, the almond ones, or the dark chocolate or dark chocolate peanut ones. Yum. Also, soft tacos, which you can't seem to buy anywhere here. Lifesaver candies. Different flavour Pop Tarts (cinnamon brown sugar is good). If you like cooking, Graham crackers make the best cheesecake crust ever.

Make up from the drugstore. Physician's Pharmacy bronzer is ace and about $15. Wet n Wild highlighter is excellent and about $5. Wet n Wild Photofinish foundation is $6 and has been rated better than the Clé de Peau $150 one.

Lucky44 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:21:07

Christmas tree ornament, we have a few from our travels and it’s always a lovely reminder when we decorate the tree. Won’t break the bank and easy to carry.

VanillaSugar Sun 12-Aug-18 16:26:24

Oh yes!!! Christmas tree decorations!!!! They are so beautiful and start at about $3.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: