Talk

Advanced search

Ancestry.co.uk

(6 Posts)
TwoNoisyBoys Sat 11-Aug-18 20:28:03

Wondering if anyone has had much to do with this website/service and could help me with a quick query....
If proper, true brothers and sisters, same parents, both joined up and submitted DNA samples, would it be picked up that the relationship was sibling, or could it conclude that it was just ‘close - possibly 1st cousins’?
Just trying to clear something up.....
Thanks in advance

TwoNoisyBoys Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:22

Hopeful bump....anyone?

Feduppluckingmychinhairs Sat 11-Aug-18 22:12:03

As far as I am aware, close refers to half sibling, aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, grandparent. A parent child relationship or full sibling relationship is classed as immediate family. There are some very helpful groups on facebook - DNA Detectives is one, who can help if you need to figure something out.

LarkDescending Sat 11-Aug-18 22:16:14

I don’t know, but there are some people with a good understanding of genealogical DNA over on Rootschat (free to join), so you might want to ask over there.

Feduppluckingmychinhairs Sat 11-Aug-18 22:23:29

This chart shows what the 'centimorgans' are - that's the way they measure the amount of DNA shared. If you click on the little i under the DNA match on ancestry it will show you what the CM are.

TwoNoisyBoys Sat 11-Aug-18 23:53:11

Thanks everyone....I suspected that if it was a full sibling relationship, it would say as much, but just wanted to double check, so I guess it’s confirming a half sibling relationship after all. I’ll investigate those other groups mentioned, thank you all very much for taking the time to reply 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: