Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Safest way to send small item of jewellery to the USA.

(5 Posts)
MrsExpo Sat 11-Aug-18 19:46:13

Boring question, but I need to get a small item of jewellery (a brooch) to a relative in the USA. It has modest actual value but huge sentimental value and I would be truly gutted if it gets got lost. It is, of course, small and light, so anyone got any advice on the best way to get it to California. Thanks all.

LittleMy77 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:51:18

Send it by registered / signed for post with fedex or UPS. US mail is notoriously unreliable and stuff often goes missing so the courier companies are a better bet. Also - make sure you keep the description as gift and the $ value low (below $100) , or the recipient could end up being liable for customs import charges

Magicbugkiller Sat 11-Aug-18 20:03:58

safest is to take it in person.

sunsalutations Sat 11-Aug-18 20:09:50

I've sent a necklace to my sister before (only worth about £25) and it didn't get there. Can you ask the Post office? But if you want to be 100% certain, then in person or via someone you know

viccat Sat 11-Aug-18 20:45:13

I would use FedEx.

Royal Mail tracked & signed for is fine for items with monetary value as you get compensation, however as the package gets passed onto USPS and goes through several places along the way, the chance of it going missing is higher.

FedEx holds the package for the whole journey and you can send it on a fast service that gets to the US within 48 hours. It will cost a lot more but sounds like that will be worth it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: