Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Coventry?

(28 Posts)
PurpleDaisy2114 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:08:03

Hi- does anyone have any tips? DH, myself and my 2 autistic children currently live in rented 3 bed in Solihull. DH works in Solihull whereas I work all over Black Country. We are priced out of buying here but would really like to buy a 4 bed. Children have EHCPs and have transport currently provided by LA.
I really like Coventry- it feels quite up and coming but are there are areas to actively seek/avoid? Ideally don't want to spend over 300k.
It does need to be detached due to the regular shouting/arguing from kids. Complaints from neighbours here is one of the reasons for looking.

Thank you in advance.

NaToth Sat 11-Aug-18 19:19:44

Great place to live, lots going on, especially in the run up tomCity of Culture 2021. South side of the city is the best, CV5 and some parts of CV3 and CV4, but you'd be lucky to get a 4 bed detached for £300K anywhere in the city.

However, Nuneaton might be a possibility. Close to the motorways and property is cheaper.

Lotsandlots Sat 11-Aug-18 19:25:59

I like Coventry. A lot of people say it's an awful place to live and yes, there are a few rough areas but that's the same as everywhere. But on under 300K you'll find it a bit difficult to get a detached house. Echo the PP's suggestion of Nuneaton, I know a few people who live there and really like it.

Lotsandlots Sat 11-Aug-18 19:27:42

You could find a nice place in Earlsdon in Coventry for under 300K but not detached.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 11-Aug-18 19:30:50

Avoid:
Wood End
Willenhall
Stoke Aldermoor
Parts of Canley

Nice areas:
Walsgrave
Wyken
Styvechale

Earlsdon is in my opinion over priced.

Lalaland44 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:47:36

Styvechale and Earlsdon are close to the city centre and memorial park. Good schools and links A45 to Bham. There are generally older houses so semi detached should be ok with the thicker walls. Regards Nuneaton I would consider issues with traffic on the A444 and M6 always historically been an issue. There’s Bedworth where you could get a 4 bed detached for your price range. Again good access to junction 3 of M6. Closer to Coventry. Very exciting times for Coventry and surrounding areas. Wish you all the best OP

Xenadog Sat 11-Aug-18 20:30:12

Parts of Cheylesmore are nice and there’s a really good little high street of shops. Agree with most of what has been said but wouldn’t look at Nuneaton; I worked there for a long time and it was soul destroying. There are nice areas but you pay a premium to live there. This is also more than true of Bedworth.
Think about Allesley, Mount Nod and Eastern Green as well.

I do think you will struggle to get a 4 bed detached in a decent area for your price though.

Xenadog Sat 11-Aug-18 20:34:12

I have just had a look on rightmost move and there are hard uses in reasonable areas which meet your criteria. Good luck, OP.

Xenadog Sat 11-Aug-18 20:35:13

FFS!!!
I had a look on Rightmove and there are houses which meet your criteria.

JustLurkingAway Sat 11-Aug-18 20:36:44

Agree with looking at Walsgrave/Potters Green, Wyken, Cheylesmore, Earlsdon.
There are quite a few nice estates in both Bedworth and Nuneaton, no clue what they're called though as am not too familiar!
Avoid Wood End and Hillfields, probably some others too but my minds gone blank!

JustLurkingAway Sat 11-Aug-18 20:41:11

In fact, doing a quick Zoopla search, there's a 4 bed detached near me for 250, in a not too shabby areagrin

MidnightVelvetthe7th Sat 11-Aug-18 20:44:43

Look towards the west of the city towards Eastern Green, Mount Nod and Broad Lane mostly a family populated quiet historically crime light area. Good primaries and secondaries, good bus links and 2 local train stations in driving distance (not walking unless you're fit and like walking).

Earlsdon is studenty and a bit up itself 😀 expensive but walking distance to the city centre.

Avoid:

Wood End
Willenhall
Stoke Aldermoor
Hillfields

Be choosy with:
Canley
Tile Hill
Walsgrave
Whoberley
Any of the Stokes
Foleshill
Holbrooks

I like it here and never had any trouble smile

Kattymanners Sat 11-Aug-18 20:57:12

Coleshill - Castle Bromwich ?

Sorry don’t know the area as not my price bracket but quite a few coming up on rightmove

haba Sat 11-Aug-18 21:03:54

Won't you lose the transport if you move out of the LA? Surely you'll have to apply to Coventry schools, and they'll decide what transport you need/get?
Biggest issue for me would be changing the DC's schools.

haba Sat 11-Aug-18 21:06:36

Also, travelling from black country to Coventry would be awful, seriously, it's quite far and the roads are always chocka.

TheABC Sat 11-Aug-18 21:28:05

We moved from Solihull to Coventry and never regretted it! Great parks, up and coming facilities (such as the new waterpark) and the City of Culture to look forward to. We are based in the CV5 postcode, after looking at location and schools. You may have to compromise on the detached element as most homes are semi's. Definitely shop around and think about the commute. Staying close to the A45 gives you easy access to the motorways.

PurpleDaisy2114 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:52:32

Thank you all- have saved these houses so far.

PurpleDaisy2114 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:54:24

And this one too. Yes I had thought about Nuneaton and yes, am concerned it makes kids schools vulnerable too...

MarsBarsAreShrinking Sat 11-Aug-18 22:00:47

I'd be wary of that one in Little Heath, parts of there can be a bit rough. It looks a nice house but it's the cheapest one on your list for a reason.

I'd look around Walsgrave/Potters Green for easy access to the M6. It would be a long old commute to the Black Country though, especially in rush hour.

CluedoIsMyFavGame Sat 11-Aug-18 22:21:37

Definitely a long commute to the Black Country. The M6 can be horrendous at rush hour (DH commutes daily and often leaves very early in the morning to avoid it but he can be nearly an hour home from Birmingham). The M6 north of Birmingham is pretty awful at rush hour.

We're in Longford, CV6. Nice area where we are but I find Coventry is very mixed, so you can have rough areas right next to nice areas. We are very close to M6 Junc 3 which is excellent for us.

Hatemyjob2 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:26:48

We’re near Green Lane/Finham. Great schools nearby. Next door: 3 bed semi went for 270,000 so it’s not cheap. Memorial park 5 minutes walk away, great public transport, Ikea, new water park coming soon.
I work in Warwick and also go to uni in Birmingham part time on public transport so it’s probably very do-able by car.

We moved here in 2014 and it’s brilliant. Was a little wary, but we were priced out of Leamington and Warwick, the southern side is definitely a better area.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 11-Aug-18 22:33:39

I wouldn't commute from Cov to the Black Country. I commute from closer to Birmingham sometimes; and people from my work come the opposite way - the motorway is a nightmare, it frequently takes over an hour.

I'd look for somewhere closer to your work. Could you go closer to the Black Country and DH commute more? Solihull is expensive.

NotMeNoNo Sat 11-Aug-18 23:03:44

I would think about your travelling and your children's support/education. Are the ECHP portable and is there a suitable provision? Once HS2 works start it will be pugartory getting across the M6/M42/A45 area. I drive through 2/3 times a week its bad enough now. I can see Coventry has plus points but it seems to be equally inconvenient for both of you.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 11-Aug-18 23:05:36

Coventry to black country is a bastard of a journey.

Cov to Solihull is ok.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 11-Aug-18 23:06:39

Might you be better looking at Kidderminster or that way? Redditch?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: