Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you take a minus offer on The Chase?

(23 Posts)
Stressmess Sat 11-Aug-18 18:30:05

I was watching The Chase tonight. Guilty pleasure, don't get to watch it as often as I would like. Two men went first both take the higher offer and got through with £55'000. Third player, a woman didn't do great in the cash builder but took what she had earned the £2'000 as she said she couldn't face her team if she took the lower offer and didn't get through.

Fourth player, another woman didn't do great in the cash builder and was offered - £5'000 and I thought there is absolutely no way she would take it but she did! I was willing them not to get through at the end because she would have got an equal share of the prize money but was totally underserving.

There is no way I could take the minus offer and take away from what other people had earned. What would you do?

fairgame84 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:32:15

I wouldn't take a minus. It doesn't sit right with me, it's morally wrong.

DownButNotOut1 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:33:00

No, never! CFery!

Ginkypig Sat 11-Aug-18 18:34:16

Taking the minus offer is taking the piss. brings down the tone of the thread

RaynaJaymes Sat 11-Aug-18 18:34:51

I can see the logic of the one extra step could make the difference so would take a lower offer but no way would I feel comfortable taking a minus

I’m maybe a little over invested in this programme blush

FanciedAChangeToday Sat 11-Aug-18 18:36:07

No way - my family would disown me. We take The Chase VERY seriously!!

twoheaped Sat 11-Aug-18 18:36:42

No I wouldn't.
Some players are really gracious when a team mate takes the lower offer but others just can't hide their true feelings grin

Friolero Sat 11-Aug-18 18:37:26

No way. DH and I always shout at the people who take minus offers!

PleasingFabrics Sat 11-Aug-18 18:39:24

No way would I take the minus offer! Makes me mad when they do, but then most of them don't have very good general knowledge so it's the only way they can get through.

starzig Sat 11-Aug-18 18:40:01

I think it is extremely cheeky. However all participants know how the game works. Waiting for person 1 to take negative, the everyone else to follow suit as light hearted revenge.

ClashCityRocker Sat 11-Aug-18 18:42:08

I wouldn't as Dh would disown me, but I can see why she would in that situation.

An extra step and an extra head in the final chase could make all the difference - particularly if the one who took the minus offer had subject knowledge in areas the others didn't.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:43:33

That one extra step might make everyone more likely to win some money though.

I wouldn’t take it, but I can see why people do.

I had an audition for the chase and it was one of the questions we were asked, if we would ever take the minus offer.

iklboo Sat 11-Aug-18 18:45:22

I'll let you know if I get through my audition grin

Actually no, I wouldn't take a minus offer. It's just not right to me.

FanciedAChangeToday Sat 11-Aug-18 18:50:48

So what would happen if everyone took the minus?? Sorry if that is an incredibly stupid question/obvious answer confused

iklboo Sat 11-Aug-18 18:51:52

I don't think they offer minus figures for the first couple of contestants

erinaceus Sat 11-Aug-18 18:52:05

Not everyone gets offered a minus offer as the lower offer.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:52:56

Well often the first few contestants don’t get offered a minus. It’s only if there’s a decent prize pot isn’t it, so they clearly do it to liven up an already thrilling tv programme! We love the chase but Ds (6) gets hugely over invested and it often ends in tears.

PanPanPanPing Sat 11-Aug-18 18:53:54

Let us know when you're on, ikl!!

TheNemesisOfLame Sat 11-Aug-18 18:54:23

You're only allowed to take the minus offer if you're the young person in a team of oldies or vice versa.
But mostly I shriek at them as undeserving leeches...esp if the others haven't got much and it goes from £15k between 3 to £12k between 4 and the minus-er brings nothing to the final round (or even worse gets easy questions wrong)
I am also over invested...

FanciedAChangeToday Sat 11-Aug-18 18:55:44

Ah yes of course thanks! Hadnt realised who gets offered it and who not. BW is brilliant at being the host isnt he - his face says it all sometimes grin

PanPanPanPing Sat 11-Aug-18 18:56:36

Oops, forgot to add, I don't think I'd feel comfortable going for a minus offer - it seems lacking in team spirit. But, presumably, that's the point of The Chase - divide and conquer?!

HarshingMyMellow Sat 11-Aug-18 18:57:24

No, never!!

I think that if someone opts for the minus offer and the team win, that person should get their winnings minus the amount they took!

lostinjapan Sat 11-Aug-18 19:08:02

Yes, I would consider taking the minus offer (or advising a team member to take the minus offer) in certain circumstances. Say the first three players have put £40,000 in the prize pot. The fourth player scores £1,000 in their cashbuilder and is given a low offer of -£4,000 and high offer of £40,000. In that scenario you should either take the low offer or the high offer - going for the middle offer is bad gameplay. It’s one extra step and one extra hand in the final chase - and it’s better to win 25% of £36K than 0% of £40K. But if choosing the minus offer means you’ll take a huge chunk out of the prize pot, that’s a different matter.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: