Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Do I give dd my iPhone or buy her something else?

(17 Posts)
m0therofdragons Sat 11-Aug-18 17:16:15

We will be getting dd a phone before she goes to secondary but are a bit confused.

My iPhone SE is now out of contract and is just rolling on. Dd could have that with a new SIM but what SIM?

But I really like my SE so I wondered whether to keep it and buy a new phone for dd. I have no intention of buying a brand new iPhone for dd or anything else costing that much so what are the cheaper options that won't leave dd open to bullying?

(Currently with O2 due to limited signal with other options)

Any advice where to look would be very gratefully received!

Strawberrymelon Sat 11-Aug-18 17:28:33

My ds is a bit younger. I have bought him a Huawei phone which seems great and he has a sky SIM card in it. I am finding the £5 a month is more than enough for him at the moment as he is not using it alot. He uses it with WiFi mostly and calls are free because we have sky TV so the £5 is only for data and he gets to keep what he has not used at the end of the month.

I don't know if Huawei is a phone other kids would laugh at. My ds doesn't care about that sort of thing but will read this thread with interest. I don't want other kids to make fun of him.

m0therofdragons Sat 11-Aug-18 17:41:24

I was looking at the huawei. I think it looks good but am in love with my iPhone so no idea what is cool!

Lilao Sat 11-Aug-18 18:03:08

If I was you id give your daughter the SE with a sim only contract/ pay as you go/ rolling 30 day contract and then you upgrade to a newer iPhone but not the newest, so a 6 or 7 so it'll be cheaper.

You might find if you give o2 a call and explain they will give you a good offer on a sim only deal as we did the same in our house and got some pretty good sim deals.

m0therofdragons Sat 11-Aug-18 18:07:31

That's what I was originally thinking @Lilao but I have small hands and hate the 6 which is why I chose the SE. I'd probably end up with another SE so may as well keep this and get dd something cheaper

Redcliff Sat 11-Aug-18 18:08:45

We have started buying 2nd hand phones and getting a SIM only contracts - works out cheaper. The last couple of phones we got from smartfone and they have been really good.

specialsubject Sat 11-Aug-18 18:12:22

so do schools now allow bullying based on who has the whizziest brick?

it must be really shit to be a kid.

Aragog Sat 11-Aug-18 18:13:44

I'd give your Dd the SE and get yourself an upgrade.

thethoughtfox Sat 11-Aug-18 18:31:50

Call your provider and ask to switch to rolling contract and they will send you a new SIM.

barneymcgroo Sat 11-Aug-18 19:04:49

It's quite likely that next month, there will be a new iPhone SE - have a look at iPhone rumours. So you could get the new one and give her your old one?

Strawberrymelon Sat 11-Aug-18 20:28:36

Another thing to consider is how careful your dd will be with the phone. When and where will she be using it and how will you feel if it gets broken or is lost.

My ds can only have a cheap phone because it is at risk of being broken or lost.

Starlight345 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:35:50

My Ds had my old I phone 5 and I bought myself a recon I phone 6 for Christmas . He goes to high school September.

I am in Tesco and we got a family deal.

I also have a friend who got a good deal on sky

FabulousTomatoes Sat 11-Aug-18 20:38:58

I’d give her your old one and upgrade to the new SE or SE equivalent next month. If you decide to keep it for yourself, don’t keep paying what you’ve been paying on your SE while it was on contract as it’s eligible for a downgrade to a sim only plan now!

GreenTulips Sat 11-Aug-18 20:42:45

iPhone 5S are under £100 secondhand

They love the iMessage function - my kids can't text at school as it's blocked but can iMessage using the wifi (I know there's whatsapp etc, but kids don't use that)

As for bullying - it's sad that you even thought that

WooYa Sat 11-Aug-18 20:43:33

DH broke his phone so I gave him my old SE and 'upgraded' to a new one and it was a bit cheaper

m0therofdragons Sat 11-Aug-18 21:30:22

I've worked in a school and remember having a phone at school (in 6th form). I'm amazed people are naive enough to think other dc won't take the p out of dc with "uncool" phones. Teens can be really bloody mean so of course parents want to try to avoid anything that stands out. Officially schools don't accept bullying but if you think it doesn't happen I'd love to know where you live!

m0therofdragons Sat 11-Aug-18 21:31:01

Interesting to hear about new se! Thank you grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: