Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

3 year old with bottle

(9 Posts)
Yourmysunshine2 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:56:04

My 3 year old still has a bottle. He will drink from other things like cups. Sport bottles/ straws. But he's getting quite upset when I hide his bottle. As long as it's just water is there a reason I should take the bottle away? I'm thinking it might cause his teeth to become crooked?

He is having assments for SN but no diagnoises yet.

MakeLemonade Sat 11-Aug-18 17:07:18

How often does he have it?

If it’s just at bedtime or when he wants a drink I wouldn’t worry too much. If it’s constantly in his mouth then I’d worry a little about teeth.

He won’t be drinking from it when he’s 15 and will naturally grow out of it.

Has he been to dentist? They can usually tell if something is causing an issue.

BestBeforeYesterday Sat 11-Aug-18 17:13:58

My nearly four year old has a bottle of milk a day. I make sure he drinks it fast (he would love to take ages over it) and brush his teeth twice a day every day. Ten minutes of sucking a bottle is not going to make his teeth become crooked.

Yourmysunshine2 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:29:57

It's just when he wants a drink and for comfort when he wants to sleep.

Yourmysunshine2 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:01:12

I forgot he rips the teat with his teeth..so think I will have to take it away some how.

NorthEndGal Sat 11-Aug-18 18:08:07

Maybe give him a chewy band instead, so he doesn't choke on rubber bits

widgetbeana Sat 11-Aug-18 19:07:52

With my dd1 we just told her it was gone and went cold turkey with it. She had the mother of all tantrums screaming at us for about 40 minutes. But then gave in and never asked again. We did have cups we knew she could and would drink from before trying this though, sounds like you have a similar set up.

It was hideous and it is still our landmark for epic tantrums, I Nearly gave in after 30 minutes, but realised that would be a bad precedent to set and kept going!

Good luck!

Jeippinghmip Sat 11-Aug-18 19:10:08

Any dentist would tell you that you should ditch bottles at 12 months.

Yourmysunshine2 Sun 12-Aug-18 09:35:02

Yes. I think I'm going to try and wean him off it. I will hide it in the day. Let him have it at bed time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: