Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Who's the weirdo here? Him or me?

(167 Posts)
HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 16:42:10

I greet my family, friends and acquaintances with varying degrees of hugs and kisses. Real kisses and big squeezes for family and BFFs; genuine hugs and air kisses for other friends, hand on shoulder and air cheek kiss for acquaintances.

I say this is NORMAL

Friend says it's WEIRD and is because I'm posh (I'm not) or because I live in an inbred sort of county (I do, but I'm not!).

Friend doesn't kiss or hug anyone ever for any type of greeting. Which I think is really really odd.

Can MN please settle this?

flametrees Sat 11-Aug-18 16:43:30

I never kiss anyone except my own kids.

AnExcellentUsername Sat 11-Aug-18 16:44:07

I'm not a very tactile person bur could just about cope with the hugging... the kisses are a bit much.

MsOliphant Sat 11-Aug-18 16:45:42

Well it's not weird for you.

But it sounds positively horrifying to me.

Celticdawn5 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:45:44

I am completely confused about how to greet people nowadays

HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 16:46:58

BTW literally every single person I know does what I do.

I don't know anyone (apart from friend) who doesn't hug / kiss people hello and goodbye.

So if I go round my BFFs for a family meal I give her a big hug, her husband a small hug and cheek kiss. The same in reverse.

Celticdawn5 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:47:36

I really wish I hadn’t started with the cheek kissing business

lola212121 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:48:19

aren't you afraid you will offend somebody ?

HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 16:48:37

It is a mind field isn't Celtic?

pippop1317 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:52

I'm a massive hugger. Probably at times inappropriate. But I don't care.
I have one friend who literally doesn't hugs/touches anyone. If u get a hug from her then you must be having a bad day.

HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:57

Lola no, because EVERYONE does it!!

I feel bad when I miss the opportunity to do a cheek kiss, and the moment passes looking like I've snubbed them!

Further details... I don't cheek kiss school mum friends at school, but it's the norm for attending children's parties

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 16:52:59

Oh god people I barely know touching me freaks me right out.

I hug my dad when he’s leaving/we’re leaving, used to do the same with Mum when she was alive.

I hug my friends if they’re upset and want a hug.

Mind you, I’m autistic and really really struggle with physical contact unless it’s DP or the kids so I’m probably not the best barometer.

MsOliphant Sat 11-Aug-18 16:54:51

I'm also autistic....

I slept with now DH before I would cuddling him. To me cuddling someone was just too intimate until we'd built up some trust. I know how illogical that sounds.

shaggedthruahedgebackwards Sat 11-Aug-18 16:55:49

Your way certainly seems to be the norm now but certainly wasn't 20 years ago (not in UK anyway)

I have 'adapted' to the new norms and will hug/kiss friends family when greeting them if that is clearly what the other party wants or expects

I was perfectly happy not doing this for the first 25 years of my life but it seems unavoidable now so I just tend to go along with it

Neither of you ABU

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 16:56:51

I slept with now DH before I would cuddling him. To me cuddling someone was just too intimate until we'd built up some trust. I know how illogical that sounds

FWIW I get it.

LlamaPyjamas Sat 11-Aug-18 16:58:02

If I rarely see someone and I really love them I might hug them goodbye. But it would be parents and immediate family only.

I never ever kiss. It’s gross. I don’t want someone’s herpes on my face.

HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 17:00:18

I don't have herpes

Nottheduchessofcambridge Sat 11-Aug-18 17:01:40

That would be hell for me, I hug my immediate family, nobody else. I shuddered at the thought of all that touching! I could feel
My body trying to crawl into itself, I may have issues. That’s normal for me, your way is normal for you. Just be aware that not all people think the same way you do.

snozzlemaid Sat 11-Aug-18 17:05:16

Everyone you know does it probably because they don't have a choice once you've launched yourself at them.
I'd hate it but would go along with it if someone did this to me. I'm too polite to back off.
I'm not a hugger or kisser apart from dp and my dcs.

Bombardier25966 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:06:20

What is the point in an air kiss? It's like saying you want to be polite but don't actually want to touch them. Feels false to me.

Bombardier25966 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:07:47

And do you make a noise when you do it? "Mwah!"

QuestionableMouse Sat 11-Aug-18 17:09:44

Oh god no. I hate this sort of thing sorry.

HelpfulHermione Sat 11-Aug-18 17:10:00

Cheeks touch. Kiss gets sent into the air

ShatnersBassoon Sat 11-Aug-18 17:11:54

I'd be uncomfortable with any sort of affectionate display from an acquaintance. There's no need to be putting your face close to someone just because you recognise them. I hug and kiss family, and very rarely friends (extreme emotion moments).

ShatnersBassoon Sat 11-Aug-18 17:13:27

Oh god, you touch their face with your face? That's not nice for lots of people, but difficult to get away from without causing upset.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: