Talk

Advanced search

Would you support a new, centrist political party?

(61 Posts)
notheretoargue Sat 11-Aug-18 16:08:11

Just that really. I’m feeling ‘politically homeless’ but wonder whether the best thing for the country now would be a centrist party that tries to heal the rifts in society, or at least communicate across them. I think I’ve given up on the idea of being ‘represented’, but I desperately want to stop all the name calling and scapegoating that seems to be going on.

Would be interested to hear others’ thoughts ...?

bellinisurge Sat 11-Aug-18 16:16:44

I'd be interested but sceptical.

Blushah Sat 11-Aug-18 16:25:00

Definitely. I wish it could be the Lib Dems, but they are still tarred with the coalition brush, unlike the Tories.

abitoflight Sat 11-Aug-18 16:28:29

I think it's becoming increasingly likely. Blair hinted at it in interview and I would bet some mp's plotting

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:31:19

I could get behind that in theory.

kaytee87 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:39:56

Definitely. I wish it could be the Lib Dems, but they are still tarred with the coalition brush, unlike the Tories.

^ agree with this

bellinisurge Sat 11-Aug-18 16:41:09

The SDP were created in response to an equally unelectable Labour Party. They merged with the Liberals to make the Liberal Democrats. And then Labour got rid of the unelectables. Or should that be the unthinkables. All this was going on while Thatcher ruled the roost.

bravobravo Sat 11-Aug-18 16:49:54

To be honest, until Brexshit is sorted I don't think it's possible.
The country is divided and I fail to see how a new Centrist party will heal the rift.

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 11-Aug-18 16:56:16

Agree. I feel adrift politically too, and the two-sided nature is getting stronger.

Jozxyqk Sat 11-Aug-18 16:59:17

Potentially, yes. I don't know who I'd vote for at present - all options are deeply unappealing.

notheretoargue Sat 11-Aug-18 17:00:14

beinisurge yes, that’s why I don’t think anyone wants to do it. But I despair at the alternative - increasingly divided, partisan politics. How are we going to get through brexit when we all hate each other and blame each other for the inevitable shit show?

bravobravo Sat 11-Aug-18 17:18:22

Personally I think the Lib Dems should be flourishing - they're not. Which makes me think neither would a Centrist party.

bellinisurge Sat 11-Aug-18 17:36:25

I agree with @bravobravo . We are stuck with Brexshit and will have to see if we can rebuild afterwards. Given that I blame all Leave voters for the forthcoming bollocks, it'll be a while before I give a shit about them.

notheretoargue Sat 11-Aug-18 17:54:05

But the libdems’ sole policy is opposing brexit ... and they’re not even doing that. Firstly they’re divisive (although I agree with opposing brexit) and secondly they’re ineffective

DameFanny Sat 11-Aug-18 18:00:26

No. Centrist these days is actually pretty right wing, and all this talk of healing breaches translates as reaching out to the racists and bigots that are bringing the country down - ignoring the fact that when you give tolerance to intolerance it just gets braver.

So no. Bad question. Dangerous idea.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sat 11-Aug-18 18:03:06

I would prefer to see a more to the centre Labour Party

But that isn’t going to happen for sometime. I would like a new centre party but feel it would become a populist party which isn’t what I want

notheretoargue Sat 11-Aug-18 18:25:19

damefanny good point. What would be better?

YeTalkShiteHen Sat 11-Aug-18 18:27:37

I’m an SNP voter but if they keep going with the trans agenda I will be politically homeless too.

I’d support a progressive, inclusive party.

Goldenbug Sat 11-Aug-18 18:34:31

Yes. A non evil party who don't terrify business. I think they would need to keep clear of sides on Brexit though. Being on either side would scare half the electorate away.

Neshoma Sat 11-Aug-18 18:36:57

Possibly, if it was right leaning.

mostdays Sat 11-Aug-18 18:39:42

I don't think so, no. I'm left wing. I can see the need for one though, if the Lib Dems are going to remain so unpopular.

theduchessstill Sat 11-Aug-18 18:53:20

Absolutely. Headed by someone who can actually command some support. Having seen a poll today that puts Labour 3 points behind the Tories, despite the shit show the government is presenting us with, I think we desperately need someone who can actually provide effective opposition.

MusicMammaMia Sat 11-Aug-18 19:00:52

Possibly.

I would not vote for a party that was all about putting males first so I would want a guarantee of both male and female representation from Cllr up and alternative male/female leaders, none of that gender rubbish, we are binary in our biology.

notheretoargue Sat 11-Aug-18 19:03:34

musicmammamia that’s exactly why I can’t support the greens. Toyed with it until I saw their stance on the words ‘pregnant woman’

RaininSummer Sat 11-Aug-18 19:07:41

Yes it they recognised biological women and had intelligent thinkers on board who could see the long term implications of their policies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: