Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Advice about wedding (cash) gift please?

(10 Posts)
DaysOfOld Sat 11-Aug-18 16:05:40

I would appreciate help and advice please. smile Sorry if I sound dumb!

Just been to a wedding at the Church 1 mile from us (it was midday til half one-ish) and are invited to the 'night do' which is also a mile (not far from the Church.) We are currently just chilling and watching some TV before we get ready to go out again at 7pm-ish.

The couple have asked everyone for money, (which is cool,) and we have got a 'Congrats on your wedding' card, and a little wallet with the 'cash gift' in. (They're both in my handbag.)

Nobody gave the couple anything at the Church at lunchtime, so I kept it in my bag. So when should I give the card and gift? Should I push it through their letter box? (They live 10 minutes walk away,) or will there be an opportunity to do it tonight (and the disco/buffet?)

Sorry to sound thick! I haven't been to a wedding for 15 years and aren't sure of the etiquette!

shakeyourcaboose Sat 11-Aug-18 16:08:22

The last few wedding I've been to there's been a 'replica' post box on a table and you just post it through that!

PepsiColaWentToTown Sat 11-Aug-18 16:12:20

I'd have put it through the letter box, or maybe given it to a sensible/trusted friend/family member.

bluemoonchances Sat 11-Aug-18 16:19:24

There will be a card box at the reception I guarantee, usually people make some sort of letter box for guests to pop the cards into at the reception venue.

Hope you have a fun night!

DaysOfOld Sat 11-Aug-18 16:20:42

Ooooh, 2 different responses! grin

I remember asking the couple some months back (when the invitation came through politely requesting money towards their honeymoon,) if they wanted it then - or on the wedding say. The groom (to be) said 'oh just the wedding day is cool, thank you!' But I didn't think to ask when on the wedding day, or where to put it!

@shakeyourcaboose I have heard about mock-up letterboxes before. i wonder if they'll have one of them?

Bit worried about putting it through the door, as there have been a dozen or more people traipsing in and out of the house this afternoon, (the groom's mates, and the bridesmaid's siblings etc,) and I would worry it would go astray, or get picked up by someone else.

DaysOfOld Sat 11-Aug-18 16:23:25

@bluemoonchances

Hi there, sorry, I posted my last post before I saw yours!

You think there will defo be a little letterbox/mock-up postbox then? smile At the night do?

There is a sit down reception going on now, but we're not going to that, but we are going to the night do. They should have somewhere there to pop it in yeah? smile

And I think we will have a fun night thank you!!! It's walking distance, so we can both drink - me and DH.

alwaysthesameold Sat 11-Aug-18 16:25:22

99% sure there will be a postbox. In the past 3 years I’ve probably been to around 7 or 8 weddings and every single one have had a postbox, or wicker basket or mock suitcase etc to leave cards and money!

DaysOfOld Sat 11-Aug-18 16:30:52

Thanks @sameoldsameold

I was a bit worried, and did think about popping it through their letterbox, but was worried it may go AWOL with loads of people traipsing in and out. DH was desperate to go pop it through, and I said 'I'm not sure it's a good idea as loads of people are popping in and out of the house all day!'

Also, I just asked a neighbour who lives nearby (and is also invited to the wedding and night-do but not the afternoon sit-down reception,) and she said she is taking hers in tonight too.

daisyinatree Sat 11-Aug-18 17:08:13

The last wedding I went to had one of these.

<<<

As a few posters have said, many couples who request cash for a present will have one of these.

DaysOfOld Sat 11-Aug-18 17:27:44

Thanks daisy. smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: