Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Shit, shit shit shit

(38 Posts)
sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:44:50

We are moving and I have been packing and putting stuff in the spare room, my son has closed the door and now I can't get it open, something is blocking the handle from the other side, I have tried taking the handle off with no luck. The window is open, but even if we had a ladder big enough we wouldn't be able to get through

Anyone got any suggestions please?

PrimalLass Sat 11-Aug-18 15:45:35

Are you in the room?

CherryPlum Sat 11-Aug-18 15:46:21

Is your DC stuck in the room

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 11-Aug-18 15:46:39

Can someone take the door off from the hinge side

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:48:11

No one is stuck inside (thank god)

just checked the hinges and the screws are not visable

DS' advice is to phone fireman Sam (not doing this)

Whatamuddleduck Sat 11-Aug-18 15:48:29

Depending on what kind of closer it has; can you slide a thin blade e.g butter knife between door and jam and move the closer thing (can’t think if it’s name) that way? May not work if handle jammed though.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 11-Aug-18 15:48:34

Brute force??

PleasingFabrics Sat 11-Aug-18 15:50:25

Is it a door with panels that you could try to break through?
Is there a gap under the door that you could push whatever is on the other side out the way?
Brute force?
Can you try to push in the bit that pokes out the side of the door into the frame without moving the handle?

PleasingFabrics Sat 11-Aug-18 15:51:24

Phew, I thought you were stuck in the room!

cece Sat 11-Aug-18 15:52:48

Climb ladder and poke a long stick through window

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:55:24

No to the knife or the cardboard.

Also no neighbours have a ladder tall enough to reach the damn window.

I not thrilled to damage the door as its a rented property and we would have to replace, but obviously will do if we have to

Timeisslippingaway Sat 11-Aug-18 15:55:52

Any ideas what it could be holding the door shut?

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:56:29

@PleasingFabrics

If I had been, the door would of been broken by now ;)

Ultimately I do have 3 weeks to try and get the damn thing open

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:57:16

@Timeisslippingaway

No, the last things I put in there was some pictures but they are not tall enough to be blocking the handle

AnnieAnoniMoose Sat 11-Aug-18 15:59:11

Can you take the handle off?

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:59:18

Should also say the door opens outwards

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 15:59:45

Taken the handle off but its not done any good

Etymology23 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:02:14

So (when the handle is on) is it that the handle will move but it doesn’t move the latch? Or that the handle won’t move?

sobeyondthehills Sat 11-Aug-18 16:05:34

It will go down a little but the catch thing is not going in, its not even going in enough for me to be able to use a a knife to push it back.

Its almost as though something is round the handle

KickAssAngel Sat 11-Aug-18 16:09:06

Do you need to get in there this weekend? Can you phone the agent on Monday morning and get an emergency repair person out? Or is there a number to ring for such things? If it's because the mechanism has broken, then it should be the owner's responsibility to fix it. What's the usual way to get repairs/emergency repairs done?

LighthouseSouth Sat 11-Aug-18 16:12:45

OMD has anyone read The Little Stranger" ?!

Seriously, sounds like something has fallen and landed on the handle on the other side. Would some boring hours spent tapping around the area maybe dislodge it enough?

paintedwingsandgiantrings Sat 11-Aug-18 16:12:49

Maybe it's nothing to do with moving, and the handle has broken due to being old and/or crap, or just one of those things. If so, it's the landlord's responsibility to fix it, isn't it?

WhentheDealGoesDown Sat 11-Aug-18 16:15:00

If you tell the agent there is a high chance the door handle is broken and they will deal with it and pay, if you speak to them say it in such a way that it is the doors fault, not anyone using the door, hopefully then it will be fixed by them

MyfanwyMontez Sat 11-Aug-18 16:18:52

I had a door that wouldn’t open when the handle fell off and I couldn’t fix it back on. There was a hole where the handle had been, I got a wooden coat hanger, put the hook on the inside of the hole ( so the hook was gripping ifysIm) and tugged with all my strength and it did the trick.

donajimena Sat 11-Aug-18 16:23:18

My OH does maintenance work for a large agency. He has to fix door handles all the time. If the tenants in HMOs lose keys they pay but if its the mechanism they dont. As as been suggested ring Monday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: