Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Googling shopping trolleys - I'm doomed, aren't I?

(17 Posts)
vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:09:10

In the spirit of getting fitter I'm trying to use my car less...but the supermarket is just that bit too far away for me to carry heavy bags without ending up with arms like Mr Tickle.

I found myself idly wondering about whether I should get a wheeled shopping trolley like the one my mum used to have...does this mean the end is nigh?

I've already bought a selection of massive pants this week...is there any way I can style this out, or do I just have to accept that middle age has won?

They're just such a great idea...can they be rehabilitated and made funky? I never see anyone under the age of about 70 using one and I just can't think why!

Kpo58 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:13:25

I have one of these trolleys:
m.clasohlson.com/uk/48-Litre-Shopping-Trolley-/31-4432
It's not at all old ladyish, had loads of room and the bottom can fold so it takes up less space when not in use.

Becca19962014 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:13:50

I used one for years. You can get some really nice shopping trolleys. Though make sure they're good quality, my last one the wheels came off walking home!

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:14:50

Ooh, thanks for the link!

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:15:36

Yes, I was concerned that the ones on Amazon look a bit flimsy. I always buy too much so it needs to be sturdy.

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:16:26

I love those ones linked above. Very funky handle!

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:24

Ah, after googling I can see they're now being called 'drag bags' grin

Kpo58 Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:48

I did manage to get 2 boxes of Bulmers in the trolley (plus some other bits and pieces) and it was sturdy enough for that, though I wouldn't have tried to lift it into the bus when it is that heavy...

ineedaholidaynow Sat 11-Aug-18 15:20:59

A number of my friends who are teachers have shopping trolleys to carry books home for marking, as they live locally to the school and don't want to drive. You can get stylish ones now.

Have to say I miss having a pushchair to load things in when shopping locally without the car (DS is now 13) and have considered getting a shopping trolley.

My DM has just bought her first one, hers has got a seat too, but that might be a step too far!

CherryPlum Sat 11-Aug-18 15:22:26

I would really love one, it would save my back/shoulders, I could fill it with fruit & veg from the village, it's enivironmentally friendly...but......nope I just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm mid-40's, it's bad enough that I have to wear comfy shoes to ease my bunion pain. I can't walk about in my comfy shoes pulling a shopping trolley, I just can't.

placebobebo Sat 11-Aug-18 15:25:05

Get a 6 wheeler much more stable than the others as it doesn't flip over on you when going up steps and takes less effort to pull up.

like this

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:32:26

Go on, CherryPlum, do it! We'll lead the vanguard to make 'em cool again!

I just ordered this one

That's it.

Allotment
Big knickers
Shopping trolley

The checklist is complete!

BarryTheKestrel Sat 11-Aug-18 15:32:48

I've bought cheap ones for festivals every year. They are the perfect way to lug heavy things to a campsite. If I didn't have a buggy to load up I'd definitely get one for day to day use!

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:37:24

Festival trollies!

The perfect rebrand!

Maybe if I procure some festival wristbands and decorate my trolley with band stickers I might look a bit less tragic..?

Buxtonstill Sat 11-Aug-18 15:37:46

I have this one, with metal Rock studs on the top. Rolser trollies are made in Spain, and it is cheaper to buy them direct from the company. It is Free shipping, and they arrive in days. Sod what anyone else thinks. It may seem expensive, but I have had mine for over 5 years. The four wheel models are ace, you can push them as well as pull them. They fold flat, and have a built in hook to hang them on top of the supermarket trolley! am always having people ask where I bought it Funky Trolley

vivalafrida Sat 11-Aug-18 15:38:58

Ooh, yours is cool, Buxton

<trolley envy>

Buxtonstill Sat 11-Aug-18 15:52:19

Rock Star Trolley
Mine is cheaper from Amazon at the moment - £77

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: