Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

I want to do nurse training but not through a University. Does anyone offer a more practical, hospital based training?

(13 Posts)
IWouldLikeToBeANurse Sat 11-Aug-18 13:52:19

Does anyone know? Preferably in the south Midlands-ish, Worcester type areas, or within an hour or so.

I heard talk of it a few years ago but I'm finding it difficult to get any information. Were the plans shelved?

Watto1 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:54:47

All nursing courses are done through universities but you spend 50% of the time on placement and 50% at uni.

Watto1 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:55:29

In other words, the uni nursing courses ARE hospital based !

WeakAsIAm Sat 11-Aug-18 13:55:44

All nursing roles are graduate professions today.
It is possible to get a cadet role, but they are usually for school/college leavers. They are expected to go on to uni and get their degree/masters to enter nursing though.
Sorry if this is disappointing. I have met fabulous people who would make unbelievable nurses but didn't/couldn't do a degree. It's a disaster for our NHS but who am I ????

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 13:57:46

www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/EXPLORE-ROLES/nursing/studying-nursing

FaithEverPresent Sat 11-Aug-18 13:58:01

Hi, I’m a nurse, been qualified quite a few years. Essentially, all nurse training is via university. This was so nursing came in line with other AHP qualifications like physio, OT and SALT which are all degree courses. The diploma has been phased out. They do modules in uni and placements as well.

The alternative now is to train as a ‘nursing associate’. You are a paid band 3 when you train for 2 years then when you qualify you are a band 4. You would only become a band 5 (so entry level nurse) if you go on to do a conversion course later down the line. I have some misgivings about this approach to training (there’s limitations on what you can do when you’ve qualified, there’s a question of whether it’s just a cheaper way of employing nurses) but if you want on the job training, this might be the best approach for you. There’s more information on the NHS careers website here

PestymcPestFace Sat 11-Aug-18 14:03:13

Have you read up on nurse apprenticeships.
www.nursingtimes.net/news/education/nurse-apprenticeships-to-begin-september-2018-at-nine-more-universities/7021555.article

Summerof2018 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:31:23

Nursing apprenticeships and associates will still have course work of 50%.
Why don’t you want to do the academic side of it OP?

NicoAndTheNiners Sat 11-Aug-18 15:17:44

I imagine avoiding the 9k a year tuition fees would be a bonus!

IWouldLikeToBeANurse Sat 11-Aug-18 16:14:04

Why don’t you want to do the academic side of it OP?

Because I already did it and failed one of the academic things in Y3 and so failed the degree even though i had really excellent feedback from staff and patients on the ward based placements.

And it wasn't 50% on placement, it was as little as 16 weeks one year.

IWouldLikeToBeANurse Sat 11-Aug-18 16:14:45

Even if i could find someone to let me do the degree again, i would be scared.

FantastikRik Sat 11-Aug-18 16:19:28

As PPs have said, all nurses are educated to degree level now. The courses are 50% placement (I did 2 x 12 week placements per year), and 50% university.

Perhaps you’d prefer the Band 4 Nurse Associate course? I did this before going on to do my degree. That was 1 day per week at college and the rest of the time working as a band 3 with progression to Band 4 once the course was completed.

screenscream Sat 11-Aug-18 16:56:16

I am a health professional but not a nurse. Nursing requires a degree course nowadays but I would not describe the course as academic as some other health studies (In know this by attending some of their lectures as an observer), and it is heavily placement based as pp have said.

Approach a uni by looking on their website. Find out what the enrolment requirements are, and go along to the open day where you will get lots of advice on how to get any qualifications you need beforehand.

Be optimistic, you may have a good chance, you just need to fact find.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: