Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone else love yet hate exercise in equal measures?

(8 Posts)
WickedGoodDoge Sat 11-Aug-18 13:15:42

For the past year and a half I’ve cycled 30k three times a week. Every cycling morning I have to tell myself “no excuses” as I come up with excuse after excuse after excuse to not go out. I hate about 3/4s of the cycle. I hate the short sharp hills. I hate the warm up. I hate when it is even the slightest bit windy. I hate when it gets cold enough to need gloves <most of the year>

BUT.... I love how it makes me feel afterwards plus I can eat so much more than I used to be able to. I love the long flat stretches where I can sprint. I love all the regular dog walkers <shared cycle/walking path> who I meet and chat to on most cycles.

It’s not the cycling. In fact, I tolerate cycling much better than any other exercise I’ve tried over the years and it’s the only one I’ve managed to stick with.

SerPants Sat 11-Aug-18 14:46:07

I think this is pretty common. I once a read quote from a runner which said "the hardest part of running is getting out of the front door."

Wingbing Sat 11-Aug-18 14:50:13

Yep, hardest part of going for a run is getting out the door.

I can tolerate running then feel amazing at the end. If it’s easy then it’s not doing you much good I suppose.

TragicRabbit Sat 11-Aug-18 15:50:33

This is why I do exercise dvds at home. It’s hard enough just going down the stairs grin

DramaAlpaca Sat 11-Aug-18 15:53:37

I agree. The only part of exercising I actually enjoy is the buzz I get afterwards.

SporkInTheToaster Sat 11-Aug-18 15:54:14

I go to the gym and I do yoga. I frequently have to drag my sorry carcass to the gym but once i’m about 15mins in, I’m in my element. The endorphins start and I feel really good.

AuntieStella Sat 11-Aug-18 15:58:21

I post quite a lot about running. But for the first 9-12 months I did it solely out of duty (as it was the only exercise I could fit in), still disliking it even though I felt better for doing it (and it 'paid' for the calories for booze and the odd takeaway).

I have come to enjoy it now though. Well, most of the time.

BusySittingDown Sat 11-Aug-18 16:07:48

Yes, I get you!

I love excercising stupidly early in the morning then it’s done and I can enjoy the rest of my day. DH has started to complain at me though because I accidentally wake him when I get up so I’m having to do it later.

I hate it because I’m lazy but I love the results it gives me and I do like getting lost in the zone. Weirdly, I love the feeling of sore muscles the next day, knowing that I’m getting stronger.

I hate my DH as he loves working out and I wish I could be like him. grin

However, on rest days I miss it and get ants in my pants and don’t want to keep still.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: