Talk

Advanced search

Broken old mobiles - bin?

(15 Posts)
NeonK Sat 11-Aug-18 12:56:54

During a clear out I've found a bunch of old mobile phones. Mostly broken, mostly iPhones (an HTC and a blackberry found lurking too). What can I do with them?

Bin them? Recycle (any charities take broken ones for fixing/selling)? Sell?

I hate binning stuff if someone else can do something with it but seems like it might realistically be the only option.

bluerunningshoes Sat 11-Aug-18 13:02:32

recycle - there are lots of reusable components

tapdancingmum Sat 11-Aug-18 13:23:00

Find a local Pre School and offer them to them for the children to play with. My lot love them.

justchangingagain Sat 11-Aug-18 13:32:18

I met someone recently who's business was recycling phones and apparently something like 98% of the phone is recyclable.

specialsubject Sat 11-Aug-18 13:36:05

google 'charity phone recycling' - lots come up although you may have to pay postage or take to a shop.

dingdongdigeridoo Sat 11-Aug-18 13:56:19

You can sell them. Lots of online companies will buy old phones. You might only get a few quid but better than nothing. Our local dump also does electronic recycling so might be worth checking with your local council.

lljkk Sat 11-Aug-18 14:04:12

I didn't think anyone wanted them recycled any more, no one makes this easy. If you have a bundle might get (literally) £1 profit off of a bundle sold on Ebay.

More if they are good quality (like old iphones).

holidaylady Sat 11-Aug-18 14:09:02

Do NOT put them in the bin!

At least bring them to your local tip and put them in the electrical recycling section.

Theweasleytwins Sat 11-Aug-18 14:29:01

A big shopping centre near me -Festival Place - has mobile phone recycling bins dotted around

NeonK Sat 11-Aug-18 16:05:13

Thanks all. Have looked at some of the online sites - the oldest ones I think are just fit for the local recycling centre (not sure if they have an electronics bit but I'll take them round and check).

Have two iPhone 6s that can probably be sent to one of the online recyclers.

A little bit less 'stuff' in my house. I hate 'stuff'!

BarbaraofSevillle Sat 11-Aug-18 16:06:05

There's a small electronics recycling bin at our village recycling point. Have a look on your council recycling website to see what facilities you have locally.

Fairenuff Sat 11-Aug-18 16:10:16

What about personal information that might be on the phone? Also, I was wondering the same about laptops. How do you dispose of old ones which may have personal information on them.

specialsubject Sat 11-Aug-18 16:23:58

for old laptops, take the hard drive out and smash it up before dropping it in metal recycling. If the machine is still usable otherwise the drive can be replaced.

lljkk Sat 11-Aug-18 17:25:53

I think we dumped old laptop drives straight into metal recycling giant vat at Tip/Recycling centre.

I haven't seen Anywhere to recycle a mobile phone in yonks. Struggled to do this a few yrs ago, but I think I managed to sell one for postage cost on Ebay about 18m ago.

starpatch Sat 11-Aug-18 19:05:49

many charity shops will recycle phones. Oxfam and scope for do definitely.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: