Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Do you believe in luck?

(48 Posts)
Windbeneathmybingowings Sat 11-Aug-18 11:56:57

I am incredibly unlucky. I don’t feel unlucky, I feel the opposite actually. I’m very optimistic on the whole. But after feeling for a little while that this level of haphazardness cannot be normal and even making huge contingency plans, my friends have even starting remarking on it because it’s always so random that happens.

Examples include;
- all my maternity appointments over 3 high risk pregnancies being cancelled or never booked and no bugger telling me. I didn’t even have booking appointments or 12 week scans or blood tests booked, I had to call them every week to remind them of what I should have booked. This was over two different hospitals confused
- I order something broken on average twice a month
- amazon deliveries rarely come and I have to argue every time about where it is
- orders forgotten in Starbucks/Costa/Argos/McDonalds practically every time. I have to keep my receipt in my hand because I’m always the chump standing there when everyone else has gone “sorry my love, are you waiting for something?”
- At work there’d always be some huge misfortune that was not my fault but because it was always me, it was seen to be me. Ie projector always blowing up for my meetings, power cuts, I actually got stuck in a lift with our committee chairman for 40 mins during a huge meeting which couldn’t go ahead till we were rescued. Once, applicants to our committee were let in by reception (this is so against protocol, I can’t believe it happened) and left to wander freely about the building without contacting me, so I had to search the building for them and eventually found them sitting in a room in the basement. I was told off for not looking after guests.
- letters that are like “oh hey, you have haven’t paid your tv license/parking fine for a car you don’t own/bill for a house you don’t live in” so now you have to appear in court on xx day. With the car ticket one I even had to contact the mayor of Westminster because the council refused to accept I didn’t own the car, even with 3 letters from the DVLA!
- my bank card is broken again. I’ve had 6 this year, they just stop working.
- the woman whose house we were buying (that fell through, as did 2 others) managed to get my address from the agent and would come round randomly and wake up my baby before I had to threaten to call the police
- as a kid I had 8 bikes stolen from various places around town. They would even leave all my cousins bikes behind and just take mine while we were in the shop or from a friends garden confused
- I once found a cats tooth in my packed lunch

I wouldn’t have said I believe in luck, but I am starting to feel unlucky!

IamPickleRick Sat 11-Aug-18 12:03:58

I once found a cats tooth in my packed lunch

Fuck. That is a new level of unlucky.

a2inthehouse Sat 11-Aug-18 12:08:54

That is seriously unlucky!
I don't think I really have any particular stories of note to add... so I'll leave this here as a placemark wink

Windbeneathmybingowings Sat 11-Aug-18 12:11:47

When I was about 13, we even woke up one morning to find our family car had exploded. It’s all very sad at the time but when I look back I just think WTF 😂

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 11-Aug-18 12:12:20

No.

SoleBizzz Sat 11-Aug-18 12:14:06

Luck is for gambling. Life is a gamble they say but to say you are more unlucky than others would be a lie.

KatieMarieJ Sat 11-Aug-18 12:21:58

Oh my, I've had periods of good fortune and periods where everything seems to have gone wrong somehow - some more serious than yours but not quite so much. I've always viewed it as being keeping things balanced on a big picture basis.

Windbeneathmybingowings Sat 11-Aug-18 12:22:56

I am very interested to hear other tales of luck/unluckiness! It will make me feel better about that tooth 😂

Windbeneathmybingowings Sat 11-Aug-18 12:26:24

Mine are never really big things. Just little things that if they can go wrong, will. I’ve had a good and happy life, for sure. The big picture is rosy.

amicissimma Sat 11-Aug-18 12:26:49

Can you list as many things where you were 'lucky'?

If not, is that because they don't happen? Really? Or just that they don't register with you?

For example, I think of myself as lucky and I would take the car ticket one as: although the council ignored the DVLA letters, I was lucky because the Mayor of Westminster sorted the problem for me.

I'd be chasing up the situations where I was let down: why are the NHS cancelling your appointments, I'd be chasing for ones that I didn't get informed of (not made), what is Amazon doing about missing deliveries, where's my food order (as soon as I saw the person behind me getting his/hers), am I keeping me bank card near something electromagnetic or speak to the bank about their faulty cards, don't leave bike unlocked, what the hell was the agent doing giving out my address and what are they going to do about it? And, of course, some stuff just happens; no one's lucky all the time.

TSSDNCOP Sat 11-Aug-18 12:36:08

I think some people have a higher propensity for disaster than others.

On my chart, you’d be under the category “Do not fly on the same plane as”

KingKongNoWrong Sat 11-Aug-18 12:39:15

TSS 😂
Yes I seem to have 5 years of good luck and 5 years of terrible luck. I’m currently on year 3 of bad luck, not too long to go now wink

PerfPower Sat 11-Aug-18 12:41:06

Blimey - that is unlucky op. I'm unlucky in some things (wrong place/wrong time type situations), I've been blamed for things I haven't done. I went through a car wash at a garage and it crushed the side panels, manager shrugged and pointed at the disclaimer notice. I've had a couple of handbags stolen. I've never won anything. General stuff like that.

Overall though, I think I'm lucky with the important stuff - health, family, friends etc. I had no trouble conceiving, I have a good husband, nice kids. I feel quite lucky. I hope yours improves op.

Windbeneathmybingowings Sat 11-Aug-18 12:41:28

amicissimma of course I do all those things but that’s what I mean by unlucky. I am forever doing jobs that other people don’t have to do. They just go to their maternity appointments, they just get their deliveries, their bank cards just work, they don’t need to make phone calls to sort out ordinary things.

My bikes were locked. Even when my cousins weren’t, they’d take mine! My dad bought me a huge padlock, they’d nick that too!

SnipSnipMrBurgess Sat 11-Aug-18 12:44:40

I'm with you OP sometimes I feel like I wear a cloak of invisibility and people don't even see me and therefore barge right through my presence. Either that or they are rude fuckers.

I am trying to become more visible and try to assert myself better but it's hard going.

MouseholeCat Sat 11-Aug-18 12:47:24

I don't believe in luck- I think it's a mix of privilege and mentality.

I once worked with a woman who everyone said was lucky. She always won the best prizes in the raffle- iPads, Apple Watches, hampers from Fortnum and Mason etc. But she used to buy £200 worth of tickets, which she could do because her partner was incredibly wealthy. Nobody else was paying in that much!

Someone else I know goes on about how she is unlucky. But she refuses to see the light in situations. She's had plenty of positive things happen to her in the time we've know each other, but there's a mental block in recognising them. Some of the situations aren't unlucky, they are just things that sometimes happen- admin errors, computers crashing etc. Others she's had some volition over, like losing her phone, wallet and keys when she got really drunk.

SnipSnipMrBurgess Sat 11-Aug-18 12:51:06

It is hard to think positive sometimes. I have been conditioned from a young age by a mother who sees the negativity in everything and has got worse as she gets older. I really have to force the positivity to ensure I don't end up like that

dingdongdigeridoo Sat 11-Aug-18 13:00:54

You do sound a tad unlucky. But I suppose you could think of it as having lots of little incidences of bad luck. You don’t mention any major accidents or horrible illnessses, so maybe instead of getting one big kick up the arse from the universe, you get a lot of smaller, manageable kicks. If that makes sense.

The tooth thing though. Oh my god.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 11-Aug-18 13:06:49

I have two sorts of lucky.
I am unlucky in that I never win anything, my teams always lose (so I've stopped supporting sports people as it unfair on them), I lose stuff, buses don't turn up etc.
BUT for the big stuff that really matters I am immensely lucky, I've survived sepsis, had successful IVF, my parents know my children, I own my home, I have a job that fits in with my family.
I glad my luck manifests as it does.

giveitfive Sat 11-Aug-18 13:08:26

Read the Luck Factor BY Richard Wiseman.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://richardwiseman.com/resources/The_Luck_Factor.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwivlNiZ--TcAhVKAcAKHWnKAJ4QFjADegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0S9eviPbbZRHikTySBndU6

beingthere Sat 11-Aug-18 13:11:30

For the missing appointments, car things, have you thought about ID theft? If someone is operating in your name, ma could be going astray.

giveitfive Sat 11-Aug-18 13:14:46

I am married to a consummate pessimist and he always perceives that we are unlucky. I am an optimist and I always notice the lucky...

How lucky am I that I remembered my umbrella, that the sun shone on x day, that when my kid was really sick the NHS were amazing... etc etc...

To me it's all about the lens you put on the world.

My kid has had about 25 operations... some would class that as bad luck... I look at the good fortune that he was able to receive that treatment and is still here today..

I recently had a fucking awful job interview.... now thinking how lucky I am that I'm not so desperate that I HAVE to chase the terrible job...

When our car broke down my husband was devastated. He said "why us??"... I said "why not us?"... I was thinking how lucky we were that we had RAC cover....

I could go on and on.... some people do suffer terrible misfortune... but what you describe to me is your lens on a normal life... most of our lives are a series of cluster fucks anyway 😁

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 11-Aug-18 13:17:40

I think you are making a big issue about a lot of minor stuff OP. You sound a bit glass half full to be honest.

There is a gene for a neurological condition in my family. Your chance of getting it is 50 50. If you get it you become progressively more disabled. if you don't get it you are fine. Sheer dumb luck and your life would be totally different.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sat 11-Aug-18 13:18:50

Glass half empty {confused}

Fwend Sat 11-Aug-18 13:23:59

Have you seen the movie The Cooler?

You'd get a job in Vegas in a heartbeat!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: