Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tips to get 8yo to take medicine

(38 Posts)
PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 08:50:47

My 8yo is refusing to take antibiotics that she's been prescribed. She's extremely strong willed and can't be bribed. Taking the medicine is non negotiable. So far as a consequence she has been brought home early from her friend's house (when medicine was initially refused), she's also not allowed to watch TV or have any computer time until she starts having the medicine. I think I could take all her toys away too and it wouldn't help.
We've tried being cross and being sympathetic. I've explained how important the medicine is and the possible consequences of not taking it, to no avail (yet). Any tips? WWYD?!

BloodyWorried Sat 11-Aug-18 08:52:12

Is she struggling to swallow it or refusing for another reason?

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 08:59:29

The last dose she took, she struggled to swallow the 2nd spoonful. Since then she has been refusing to take it. She says it's disgusting and makes her throat feel like there are bits in it.

BloodyWorried Sat 11-Aug-18 09:26:08

Liquid or tablets?

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 09:28:47

Liquid. Lemon flavour.

TillyVonMilly Sat 11-Aug-18 09:30:32

Is there anyway of putting it into a small amount of drink she likes? Might be easier for her to swallow and not quite as bad tasting

BertrandRussell Sat 11-Aug-18 09:32:31

Is it essential that she takes it?

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 09:56:15

We have an appointment this morning so I will check whether it is essential and if there are other options for flavours. I had suggested mixing with a drink, this was refused and I also think it'd be more volume to swallow so unless completely undetectable might not help. Thank you for the suggestion though!

FlibbertyGiblets Sat 11-Aug-18 10:04:24

A spoon of icecream to follow might work.

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:09:13

Thanks. Food related bribes/treats won't work sadly. She has a food allergy which she's anxious about and in fact sometimes pretends not to like ice cream and chocolate because she doesn't want to eat them in case they contain nuts. Which is a separate issue but as I say, she's strong willed!

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:10:33

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll see what they say this morning. I'm at a bit of a loss with this!

serbska Sat 11-Aug-18 10:10:53

Does she know how to hold her nose and swallow so she can’t taste it?

Get her to practice with squash or something.

Then she can do the med, and then quickly get down a spoon of ice cream to help with the texture.

BertrandRussell Sat 11-Aug-18 10:12:19

If not taking them is just going to make her get better slower, then I reckon she can choose. If it's going to mean she'll suffer serious consequences, then maybe ask if you can get a different flavour, or have it in tablet form-some children find that easier.

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:16:32

Yep we do the nose hold thing always for e.g. calpol, she knows the drill! For the reasons above, getting her to have the ice cream would be another battle sadly!

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 10:18:23

Totally agree Bertrand. Will see what they say this morning. Thanks again all!

BloodyWorried Sat 11-Aug-18 11:33:24

A cube of ice / iced squash before and after might work.

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 13:17:30

Thank you, great idea, we will try that. Confirmed this morning that unfortunately she does need to take the antibiotics. She has tried twice today now (not seeing friends or watching tv seem to be the motivating factors) but didn't manage to go through with it. She's sad and angry, I really feel for her. She's playing with her bother at the moment, we'll give the ice a go with our next attempt. She needs 3 doses a day for a week...!

Jammiebammie Sat 11-Aug-18 13:23:51

Could you get tablets prescribed instead? My dd is awful taking any medicine (autistic) but can manage some tablets ok, and most docs/dentists are fine prescribing antibiotics in tablet form.
She’s actually got an Ng tube for some daily medicine she needs to take and point blank refuses, so I get your frustration!

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 13:31:02

Thank you! That sounds like a nightmare, poor you and your daughter!
Yes it is incredibly frustrating. Getting her to take pain relief this week has been a bit of a struggle and so we tried the Calpol caplet/tablet things but she ended up spitting them out!

PotteringAlong Sat 11-Aug-18 13:33:53

If it’s essential that she takes them and she’s refusing you’re doing to need to treat her like a toddler. Wrap her arms in a towel, pin her down, syringe in the corner of her mouth and blow on her to stimulate the swallow reflex.

bluerunningshoes Sat 11-Aug-18 13:35:00

at that age I would go for tablets tbh,
the liquids are vile.

PETRONELLAS Sat 11-Aug-18 13:39:53

I don’t think the toddler wrap will work. Mine then gag/vomit. Distraction of watching crap usually not allowed you tube videos helped. Ice lolly allowed. Financial reward given for minimal fuss.
Explain alternative is hospital but really ill people need the beds. Be honest about how worried you are. Explain what a suppository is...
Can you add sugar to the mix to make it taste better?
Good luck. Strong willed focused children are such a joy until they’re ill.

PostmistressMcColl Sat 11-Aug-18 13:54:59

Thanks. Petronellas - the suppository explanation suggestion made me laugh out loud which has cheered me up, thank you. grin
We aren't going to restrain her. She needed GA for an op last year and me and 5 medics had to restrain her to fit the mask. (Fortunately I don't think she remembers.) I don't think it would work because I think she'd be deeply distressed and prob vomit/gag.

Takfujimoto Sat 11-Aug-18 14:04:27

Does she have a favourite drink that she could have to wash it away or maybe something you don't give her like pop?

If not then I would tell her very frankly what could/will happen if she refuses medicine, up to IV antibiotics stuck in a bed for X amount of days etc.
Don't embellish but be realistic.

Ladybug666 Sat 11-Aug-18 14:04:52

Anytime my DD required medicine we had a chocolate button ready to pop in her mouth as soon as medicine was swallowed. As they say ‘a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down’.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: