Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Driving test

(15 Posts)
mummytoc Sat 11-Aug-18 07:24:57

So I have my driving test in just over a week. I’m slightly panicking (ok not slightly, completely more like).

I had a lesson yesterday, which was rained off due to a horrendous downpour (could not see a thing) I’ve literally got one 2 hour lesson next week, then another the day before my test. And yet, I’ve just realised that we haven’t gone through any show me tell me questions at all, I have no idea where anything is and I’m completely freaking out... no practice test runs or anything, I’ve had about 20 lessons so far... is this normal? Hubby said I’m an absolute nightmare to live with at the moment as stressing out about it confused

Any advice will be very well received....

coralush Sat 11-Aug-18 07:31:28

My driving instructor did the 'show and tell' on the morning of the test. There's not really a lot to remember and it's the first thing you do when you get in the car with your examiner.

I was the same when I was taking my test as I was desperate to pass. I'd been stopping and starting lessons on and off since my teen years.

I watched some videos on YouTube about manoeuvres and things, I'm sure they'll be videos about show and tell etc.

Tips for on the day... stay calm and be positive. I think nerves are the reason most people end up failing.

Good luck!

Juanbablo Sat 11-Aug-18 08:03:12

My instructor did the show me tell me bit the morning of the test.

Good luck!

thebird93 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:06:16

You can do the show me tell me on you tube if it will help reassure you but mine was done the morning of the test. I highly recommend calms tablets .. take two a day from now and up until test day which should help with the nerves. Mirrors mirrors and more mirrors .. try not to panic it's just another lesson and all over in just over 30 minutes!

mummytoc Sat 11-Aug-18 08:12:47

Thanks all you’ve made me feel loads better :-) I’ve already got some rescue remedy so will be using that a lot. I’ll look up some YouTube videos, and the comment about the test being just over 30 minutes has helped smile

Arley Sat 11-Aug-18 08:21:06

My instructor did the show me tell me a week before my test,heres a link to the questions.Lots of Rescue Remedy and think positive.Good luck

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions/car-show-me-tell-me-vehicle-safety-questions

thebird93 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:50:02

Honestly it's over before you know it. Just go carefully and keep checking those mirrors. If you need to re-do something explain that and why, always helps.

mummytoc Sat 11-Aug-18 16:46:58

Thanks all :-)

mummytoc Sat 11-Aug-18 17:02:05

Thanks all. I’m so nervous sad

coralush Sat 11-Aug-18 17:46:49

Please let us know how you get on!

thebird93 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:21:37

Yes come back and tell us how you get on. Don't be nervous, I found the assessor ever so nice. We had a chat about his holiday and dog.. it was all over before I knew it! I'm a new driver - passed in February! The independence it's given me is amazing, focus on that! I've just driven me and boys all the way to Bognor and back, we had such an adventure. One day soon this will be you 🤩

MissClareRemembers Sat 11-Aug-18 21:04:27

Yes, don’t worry too much about show me, tell me (always makes me him the Show Me Show Me theme tune). You can look it up.

Google a pic of the engine of the car you’ll be sitting your test in and locate the oil, screen wash, coolant etc reservoirs.

At the start of my test, there were 3 cars parked side by side in the test centre parking bays. Each examiners obviously asked us candidates to show where the horn was as there was a little chorus of beeps one after the other. It made me laugh and relaxed me a bit.

Lots of mirrors, totally overdo the observation. You could even do a quiet commentary to yourself.

Good luck!!

mummytoc Sun 12-Aug-18 06:55:02

The horns beeping one after the other would make me laugh hehe!! Thank you :-)

MakeMineATwin2 Sun 12-Aug-18 07:10:23

The YouTube videos helped me a lot. My instructor went through the show me tell me the day before my test but you can watch the videos first.

The test is nothing to worry about. Just remember lots of observation. The examiner wants to know you are going to be a safe driver when you pass.

I passed a year ago and was extremely nervous, now I drive anywhere and wonder why I was ever nervous at all smile

Good luck !

adaline Sun 12-Aug-18 07:20:57

Ah good luck!

Totally overdo all your observations - really exaggerated mirror checks. I heard wearing your hair in a ponytail (if possible) helps because it's more obvious that your head is moving about to look in all your mirrors!

I found a banana and two calms on the morning really helped - and no caffeine! I was jittery enough as it was!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: