Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Yes I'm weird, no I don't need reminding every other day!

(176 Posts)
SapphireSeptember Sat 11-Aug-18 00:37:32

Or rather, among my colleagues I'm seen as weird. I don't watch Love Island or go to the pub, I do however have many and varied interests and spend a lot of time and money on my hobbies. I suppose it's my own fault for claiming the epitaph of 'weird' for my own, it only encourages them. But there have been a few moments over the past few weeks that have been uncomfortably reminiscent of stuff that was said to me at school (considering I've been there for over eight and a half years I don't know why it's suddenly sprung up.) It's grating on my nerves and I'm feeling somewhat fed up. Does anyone want to commiserate and join me in my weirdness? I'll give you some chocolate and you can cuddle my Pusheen plushie.
At least the main antagonist in this is buggering off to university soon, where hopefully they'll have their mind opened. I don't go around telling people they're boring for not sharing my interests. <sigh>

NoTeaNoShadeNoPinkLemonade Sat 11-Aug-18 00:53:06

I'll join you ^waits patiently for pusheen cuddles^
My friends/family also think I'm weird because I don't mindlessly follow fashion trends/latest beauty blah/or watch soaps/reality tv like they do and at the age of 30 I still get teased by family for my odd interests.

elephantoverthehill Sat 11-Aug-18 00:59:41

I listen to R4. Do I qualify? As for stuffed plush watnots, you can keep those.

pieceofpurplesky Sat 11-Aug-18 01:23:44

I don't watch soaps. The people at work
Look at me as if I have three heads.

CookPassBabtridge Sat 11-Aug-18 01:27:38

What do they say?

Hombre Sat 11-Aug-18 01:30:48

Meh. Humans are tribal. Sounds like they're not your people. Lots of people don't watch Love Island or go to the pub. Most of the world doesn't, actually, so it's not weird.

FissionChips Sat 11-Aug-18 01:32:35

You don’t sound weird at all confused

DaisyDreaming Sat 11-Aug-18 01:41:16

Weird has changed. It used to be a bad thing and now every other teenager and young adult class themselves as weird, it’s cool to be weird to them. Is it possible people are meaning it nicely?

SapphireSeptember Sat 11-Aug-18 01:46:08

PinkLemonade For you. grin Luckily my family don't care, as long as I'm happy. My mum has always encouraged me to be myself.

elephant Radio 4 has some brilliant programmes! I'd say you have good taste. And of course you're welcome to join us. smile

purplesky I get you. I don't watch soaps either.

Babtridge Me talking about Harry Potter characters I like, "Oh Sapphire, you're a bit weird, aren't you?" I didn't realise being a Harry Potter fan was weird. <shrugs> I get similar responses when I talk about the music I like.

MrsEricBana Sat 11-Aug-18 01:50:03

You're not weird but hey, so what anyway. Chocolate- yes please, don't know what a pusheen is (am I weird?)

Skittlesandbeer Sat 11-Aug-18 01:57:03

I think it might be illuminating for you to look into something like Ennaegram (9 personality archetypes). You’d probably discover that your workplace has an oversupply of one type, and it’s a type that it clings to herd mentality for a sense of personal safety.

You’ll likely find yourself in a different type description, and see that millions of other people fit that profile too. You’re not weird, from the global perspective, just forced by circumstance to hang too often with ‘not your people’. There’ll be loads of folk who see the world through your lens.

By the way, anyone who is really truly convinced they are unique is probably a type 4!! That always tickles me.

And anyone who gives unasked-for reading recommendations on internet fora is probably a type 1 or 3 grin (waves madly!)

Now I’m off to research Pusheens...

delphguelph Sat 11-Aug-18 02:03:25

You can't be too bad, you have plaid fleece sheets! Which are my favourite. So at least we're two weirdos together grin

DiegoMadonna Sat 11-Aug-18 02:08:38

If I worked with people who thought I was weird for not watching Love Island, I'd

a) be happy that I'm weird
b) think about quitting my job

Hombre Sat 11-Aug-18 02:14:19

SkittlesandBeer has put it much better than me!

And since when is Harry Potter a minority interest? They're the biggest selling children's books of all time. I remember getting bored of every bastard adult I knew chuffing on endlessly about them when they were being written/the films were being made. He's got his own frigging theme park or whatever - that place near London.

delphguelph Sat 11-Aug-18 02:17:22

Thing is you can't win even if you're normal. Because then you're boring.

I was scared to tell someone my favourite flavour of ice cream is vanilla, because it's too mainstream. But I said vanilla anyway and that person's fave is vanilla too!

OrangePeels Sat 11-Aug-18 02:20:19

I don’t know you so I have no idea if you are weird. However, I don’t watch love island, I like harry potter and I wear what I like. Am I weird?

OrangePeels Sat 11-Aug-18 02:20:43

And I don’t watch soaps

OrangePeels Sat 11-Aug-18 02:21:43

I have n9 idea what a plusheen is though...

tectonicplates Sat 11-Aug-18 04:43:04

University doesn't "open minds" anywhere near as much as people seem to think. It's a bit of a myth really. The same types of people all flock together, just like anywhere else.

LadyRochfordsHoickedGusset Sat 11-Aug-18 04:52:31

I love R4 and watched LI^ - the LI thread on MN as we were watching was the best thing about it^. Soaps bore me to tears though would rather cosy up with a decent book. Meh, we're all different, that's why MN is fascinating imo.

LadyRochfordsHoickedGusset Sat 11-Aug-18 04:53:26

No idea where those italics came from (!)

CMMarcusi Sat 11-Aug-18 04:58:03

I think I might be considered weird - too tall, too loud, too esoteric - but thank gosh I've found my gang who are ok with that.

SwimmingKaren Sat 11-Aug-18 05:00:51

Liking Harry Potter isn’t weird, they sell all the merch etc in Primark. However liking Harry Potter as a fully grown adult.. grin

inquiquotiokixul Sat 11-Aug-18 05:15:48

Being weird is cool. Your colleagues are not.
Get different colleagues.

I quit my job in a big department where I was the weird geeky one who never quite fitted in and didn't enjoy the regular cocktail and clubbing nights that were expected as part of having team spirit. I now work in a small firm of geeks and nerds and although the overlaps in our special interests are minimal we appreciate one another and enjoy one another's company and I an so much happier.

Originalsaltedpeanuts Sat 11-Aug-18 05:33:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: