Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The Good Wife. Does it get better?

(41 Posts)
HollyGibney Fri 10-Aug-18 23:55:19

I have heard so much good stuff about this show so thought I would give it an go. I'm on episode 6 season 1 and frankly finding it rather dull. I hate Alicia's husband - though I know I am supposed to - but I don't like her that much either. She's such a goody goody and it's always her that saves the day by noticing something no-one else saw 🙄. Should I persevere? Do the other characters start getting a look in? Does it move from the Case Of The Week format a bit?

Mumteedum Sat 11-Aug-18 00:02:33

Stick with it. I'm not sure I really got into it until some other regular characters came in like Eli Gold and Elspeth Tacioni. Alicia is very much a goody goody in season 1. She does develop.

NalderAndCollier Sat 11-Aug-18 01:43:54

Couldn't tell you OP. I gave up at episode 4 of series 1.

esk1mo Sat 11-Aug-18 01:50:27

i hated it, sooo boring and dull. same with mad men although that was slightly better.

Dreamscomingtrue Sat 11-Aug-18 01:54:36

I liked this show, to be honest I can’t remember the really early episodes that well. It definitely does get better the longer it goes on, she gets more independent and has other relationships. I was sad when it ended 😓

Tartyflette Sat 11-Aug-18 02:08:01

Alicia is far from a goody-goody as the series develops....
I loved Kalinda and Eli Gould.
But I have to say I now prefer the spin-off/sequel The Good Fight despite the lack of Kalinda and Eli.

Happyshinypeople Sat 11-Aug-18 06:28:26

I loved the Good Wife. One of my favourite series ever. Definitely stick with it. It is a slow burner but I found myself completely drawn in by some of the characters. Kalinda, Eli and Will especially. It was a bit boring to start with but the character development of Alisha is really interesting through the seasons. I guess I was quite interested in the law stuff which helped a bit. Not watched the Good Fight yet.

AnoukSpirit Sat 11-Aug-18 06:37:37

I stuck with it and found it profoundly irritating. It pissed me off too much seeing her controlling arsehole of a husband be excused and normalised, and her continue to fold to him despite supposedly finding her own independence.

Yogafailure Sat 11-Aug-18 06:43:11

I've just binge watched the whole 7 seasons during the holidays. I found S2/3 the best. After...events in S5 I kinda lost my way but stuck with it and I liked the last season too.

I loved Eli Gold and Elsbeth Tascioni...hated Peter and wanted to throttle Alicia most of the time. Will Gardner though....🤔

InfiniteSheldon Sat 11-Aug-18 06:51:40

Oh I needed to read this thread just on season 6 nearly abandoned it last season but getting back into it now. It's very patchy writing.

kmc1111 Sat 11-Aug-18 06:52:08

Alicia and Peter are always infuriating.

The supporting and recurring characters and the writing really make the show though. I think that becomes obvious about part-way through season 1. By season 2 the Alicia and Peter drama is still there, but not the backbone of the show anymore.

HollyGibney Sat 11-Aug-18 20:02:22

Thanks all. I'm going to press on. The cases are interesting and I like Will.

Esk1mo I absolutely loved Mad Men and did from the first few episodes. I'm not feeling TGW in the same way :-/

Synecdoche Sat 11-Aug-18 20:20:51

I watched all series of The Good Wife purely for Eli Gold.

TreaterAnita Sat 11-Aug-18 20:45:08

God yes, I find Alan Cumming really fucking irritating as a general rule but he is ace as Eli Gold. Also Diane Lockhart is a great character -I’m really enjoying The Good Fight.

BackinTimeforTea Sat 11-Aug-18 20:47:36

Yeah Christine Baranski is really the class act in the goodwife - the Alicia/peter thing is a no brainier - ltb. Then they kill off the love interest...

dingdongdigeridoo Sat 11-Aug-18 20:49:46

It takes some time to get going. Sometimes it can be a bit formulaic, but I find that with a lot of American shows because they have such long seasons. It’s worth watching just for Eli, Will and Diane. And to admire Diane’s power dressing of course.

Last season was bloody awful though.

BackinTimeforTea Sat 11-Aug-18 20:51:57

The too long story arcs have got to stop - they are ruining dramas

myohmywhatawonderfulday Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:29

I really liked it but because it didn’t take any effort. It’s the same story repeated. There is a case. They win.

The Good Fight ( the spin off) is much better in terms of character development and writing.

Yogafailure Sat 11-Aug-18 21:18:00

It was S2 of The Good Fight that led me to getting Amazon Prime to watch S1, then watching the entire 7 seasons of TGW....🙈

I'm now watching Downton from the start, just for a change of pace 🤣

soulrider Sat 11-Aug-18 21:20:23

I love The Good Wife but it did take a while to get in to.

Contrary to other posters, didn't think much of the Good Fight.

Isayeichnotheich Sat 11-Aug-18 22:35:33

I enjoyed it, but watched it as it was shot, so started years ago. The last two seasons it got so ridiculous I barely held on, you couldn't relate to any characters any more so it was quite disappointing compared to middle series.
Her wigs are quite good though grin, except an annoying one in season 6? Which the only one which looked wiggy.

dingdongdigeridoo Sat 11-Aug-18 22:47:45

I think the quality of the show is proportional to the quality of Alicia’s wigs. First season, not great, middle seasons good, last season bloody awful.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Sat 11-Aug-18 23:34:27

Stick with it, it’s about Alicia’s journey to get her life back in order. She gets a lot better.. she is my fave character, being a massive fan of Julianna marguiles ( she was my girl crush) and having been obsessed with her character in ER I just to watch and got hooked pretty quickly. Kalinda and Eli are amazing character and Christine baranski does an amazing job. Some good guest stars too..

BarbraDear Sat 11-Aug-18 23:41:03

I also gave up on that and Mad Men, I just need things to want me to NEED to see the next episode and they just didn't do it for me.

purplecorkheart Sat 11-Aug-18 23:45:04

I struggled with a lot of it but glad I stuck with it. I did like Eli Gold and Diane. Much is very frustrating both in the hisband/wife relationship and the lawsuit culture in the US

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: