Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Merlin passes

(24 Posts)
CantankerousCamel Fri 10-Aug-18 23:40:12

Do you recommend?
We are looking at getting the standard ones for next year.

TinaTeacake Fri 10-Aug-18 23:49:09

If you're going to make use of them, definitely! Depends where you live. If you get the premium ones don't forget you get parking with those (or at least you used to - we haven't renewed the passes for about 3 years now)

CantankerousCamel Sat 11-Aug-18 03:46:57

The premium ones are a good £200 more than the standard for us, I’m not we are going to do nearly that much parking!!

madasamarchhare Sat 11-Aug-18 07:09:31

Be aware that the standard ones have restrictions that they can’t be used on any Friday Saturday or Sunday throughout August or first weekend of September. This could increase next year. I can’t remember off the top of my head other differences, although definitely parking included with premium ones. I would say go for it if you live near enough to use them regularly we have had them for about 5 years now. Love them.

Gizlotsmum Sat 11-Aug-18 07:10:53

Jumping on to ask a question. Is it worth waiting for the sale? Is it normally the same time every year?

verite Sat 11-Aug-18 07:15:22

We had premium for a year and basically spent a year at theme parks! We are in London so loads of stuff to do in London and around. Wanted to use London attractions in school hols which is why we went for premium. Premium also gets money off accommodation so we stayed over at several place loads of time. We were going to miss for s year then take up again but I got pregnant and DD still too little. Will maybe do it again next year. Anyway - I would recommend them but not every year or they get too samey.

Ivalueloyaltyaboveallelse Sat 11-Aug-18 07:16:37

We got ours in the sale and went premium as was a good price plus no restrictions and parking included. Ours runs out next week Sadly.

GailTheFish Sat 11-Aug-18 07:25:26

I’d definitely recommend waiting for the sale - they normally have one a couple of times a year. I think we got our premium passes for £160 or so in January. We live very close to one of the theme parks so have made good use of them - it’s great to be able to go with DS for a morning, he’s only 2 so we’d struggle to do a full day there.

Blankscreen Sat 11-Aug-18 07:26:33

We had them last year but not bothered renewing them this year.

I'm going against the grain but I think they were a bit of a waste of money.
There re only so many times my children wanted to go to a sealife centre. Some of the London attractions are good but you need the premium pass to do those without restrictions.

However the qeues at the theme parks are so ridiculous due to the fastpass system that we found we ended up buying fast passes each time just so we could actually get on a couple of rides, hardly a cheap day out.

We bought ours in the sale £650 plus ££££ on fast passes so we've decided that we would rather have 1 good trip a year somewhere with unlimited fast passes and put the £650 toward that.

If you kids are at private school.amd you get extra holiday then I would say it is probably worth it.

coragreta Sat 11-Aug-18 07:26:52

Jumping on for a question also. If you use the passes would a two year old get in free ?(assuming they are normally free).

madasamarchhare Sat 11-Aug-18 08:44:36

Here’s a thought.. we are a family of 4 but due to husband’s shifts he doesn’t often come. I buy passes for me and children and if husband comes we buy him a £15 ‘bring your friend’ pass for the day. Works out far cheaper than an extra pass. I know you get these perks with premium passes not so sure about the standard.
Also, they always have a sale New Year’s Day until feb. The end date is advertised but you can pick them up weeks and weeks later and that’s when your pass will be valid from so you don’t lose any time.
They did also have a sale in June where they have you free photo digi passes too.
Sale times are definitely cheapest times to buy.

MarthasGinYard Sat 11-Aug-18 08:47:25

We buy ours every 2 years with Tesco Clubcard points

We upgrade 1 pass for 50 pounds to get parking etc.

I would definitely wait for sale if paying cash for them.

More restrictions in August this year on standard pass

Stephisaur Sat 11-Aug-18 08:54:51

We had them when I was younger and it was great. We made sure to make use of them iyswim.

When I worked at Alton Towers you used to get extra perks with the premium passes. You could buy a refillable drinks container which would get you free refills on soft drinks. Definitely worth looking at perks other than parking smile

CantankerousCamel Sat 11-Aug-18 09:08:42

Definitely considering waiting til Jan.
Also utilising club card points in future

MarthasGinYard Sat 11-Aug-18 09:13:33

Tesco is our only large supermarket within 20 miles so they do have a captive audience with us, fuel also.

Hence we accrue points

<the regular wine offers helpgrin>

But worth baring in mind that 50
Pounds worth of points get you a whole yearly pass.

catherinedevalois Sat 11-Aug-18 09:18:25

We started ours in April a year that the Easter holidays were late. It worked out really well as they were still valid the following year when the Easter holidays were early!

CraftyGin Sat 11-Aug-18 09:30:11

We usually just get get Thorpe Park passes, but one year got the Merlin passes in order to do the London attractions, which you don’t need to do year on year.

GailTheFish Sat 11-Aug-18 10:19:19

@coragreta - yes, under 3s go free if you have an annual pass.

juneau Sat 11-Aug-18 10:21:58

Yes, wait for the sale in Jan and then get the premium ones. I've had two friends who got these for a year and they spent that year visiting all the attractions at least once. Legoland is not far from us, so they went there every time there was an inset day or other non-peak day and they really made the most of them.

AJPTaylor Sat 11-Aug-18 10:24:51

We had friends who did one premium pass for the parking. Defo worth that. It depends how much you enjoy theme parks!

CantankerousCamel Sat 11-Aug-18 11:17:27

Didn’t think of just getting one PP, great idea

MarthasGinYard Sat 11-Aug-18 11:29:33

We only upgrade one

peodar Sat 11-Aug-18 11:31:17

Where are you based? Premium was far and away the best choice for us, as school holidays in London meant that not only could we use them, but can go straight on to london eye and aquarium using VIP queues which makes such a difference at busy times. If you're close to a theme park then all those £6s for parking soon adds up,especially if you've a preschooler and often do part days as we did

CantankerousCamel Sat 11-Aug-18 13:12:33

We are the most eastern part of the south west. So in easy reach of London, Southampton, Portsmouth, etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: