Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

So, I've taken the iPad

(13 Posts)
OytheBumbler Fri 10-Aug-18 23:26:51

2 weeks in to the summer holidays and I've realised my dc do nothing except play on the iPad or wait for their turn to play the iPad.

We've been on holiday and a few day trips. I try to limit the time but due to loads of reasons ( he had 30 minutes this morning! She said it would be my turn! You were on it loads last night!)
I've decided to ban the iPad for the foreseeable future.

I'm not disciplined enough myself to monitor their usage, so they take turns until I say it's time to go out or whatever. Ds10 will go out and play football or colour or whatever. Dd7 will wait for the iPad. In between she asks for food.

I know it's not AIBU but aibu to ask if anyone else has tried this? We're 6 hours into the ban and they've started tidying their room!

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 23:30:46

Shouldn’t they be in bed? confused

thaegumathteth Fri 10-Aug-18 23:36:19

I’m presuming you’re in a different time zone.

Stay strong. We did this with the PlayStation. Thankfully only ds as dd has no interest but we went cold turkey then reintroduced it with strict guidelines and timings and made a laminated list of it all.

OytheBumbler Fri 10-Aug-18 23:37:58

Well they're in bed now but I'm still counting the hours smile

I've posted now because it's playing on my mind. I was really cross and lost my rag with them and called them spoilt and that they'd be happier living in a pigsty than a home.

They just leave everything lying around and expect dh or myself to pick up after them. Or get them drinks. Or snacks. Basically attend to their every whim while they sit on the iPad watching Dantdm.

I'm still a bit crosssad

DitsyAndTheGang Sat 11-Aug-18 00:36:15

My two have a similar iPad addiction. They have one each now because they were always, as you say, either using it or waiting for it/arguing over it. I didn't want them to have one each originally - it has reduced the arguments, but not the time they spend on them. We have to physically leave the house to get them off them some of the time. We've just arrived on holiday without the bloody things, but there is a TV, so that's creeping in as a substitute. We're going to get them out more from tomorrow! When we get home I'm going to set a timer for each child to sixty minutes per day, and once it goes off that's it for the day. That's the plan anyway...

DitsyAndTheGang Sat 11-Aug-18 00:40:33

And it's so easy to turn into their bloody slave! I totally know the feeling. My eldest is nine, she is perfectly capable of getting her own drinks or whatever, but the trouble is they feel no hunger or thirst when hypnotised and wouldn't think to drink anything if I didn't hold it under their noses! I get worried about dehydration when it's hot...

CommanderDaisy Sat 11-Aug-18 00:47:07

Make i-pad use a reward for chores and being tidy.
Have a schedule for usage.
We have a 10-4 ban on any electronics on the weekend, and one hour only one hour only on a school night.
Any complaints, fighting or nagging or tantrums reduces the time. Big fights equals no usage.
Big chores/helping earn additional time. For example my DS12 wanted to play on his x-box earlier so he had to help DH dig holes and build tree guards for an hour to earn an earlier start time. And he had to work, not just stand around moaning.

Works for us but took a little while to bring them into line.
It can be done.

DayKay Sat 11-Aug-18 01:15:37

Well done. Stick with the ban for a few days to ‘reset’ them but make sure they have plenty to do.
Then print off a ‘screen time rules’ that you can get off lots of sites that lists things they need to do before they’re allowed screen time or make your own.
I have a list that says -
Make your bed
Tidy your room
Do one extra chore - ask mum
Do something active
Do something creative
Read
It’s been brilliant. They’ve done things made oobleck, made biscuits, origami, drawing and painting and used up lots of craft stuff that we’ve had and they’ve never got round to. I’ve allowed screens for looking things up as it’s gaming that causes more issues for my kids.

TrappedByATurtle Sat 11-Aug-18 06:05:25

Mine are a bit younger but they have to earn their screen time.
After two weeks of being allowed to do whatever they wanted so they had a break I installed an earning system. (They're not allowed it during the week during term time except tv after 5pm) so holidays are more relaxed)
Eldest had to do 4 pages of maths and 4 pages of writing exercises, youngest 2 pages.
Both had to read me a book.
Any washing that's folded had to be put away
Had to play outside/do something sporty for at least 30 minutes.

They also don't get a snack if they didn't clear up their snack stuff the previous day.

Fighting over it or tantrums and it is removed immediately for the day.

They are not allowed to speak about games at the meal table.

lolalotta Sat 11-Aug-18 06:21:54

We don't use it all except for times table practice on squeebles. No other games are on there. I couldn't be arsed with the hassle so just don't go there.

DinosApple Sat 11-Aug-18 06:44:30

Yes we don't have games on there either. Except maths games. Funnily enough they're not hugely keen grin.

Mine are 7 & 9 at the start of the holidays I bought rewards charts. DH & me don't have any time off this holiday so it was to keep us all sane.

Mine have to make their beds, put away clean washing, put dirty laundry downstairs, clear their plates after all meals and put them in the dishwasher. They can earn an extra point for doing each of the below:
reading a book to me,
writing something or drawing something (pencil grip and spelling practice for eldest who is dyslexic)
Maths practice either iPad/work book etc.
Music practice.
Tidy bedroom/playroom.

A certain number of points earns 30 minutes phone/TV time (I have Tetriswink), next up we cook something together, then a swimming pool trip etc etc.

It's working really well, and the rewards are all things I'd try to squeeze in anyway.

Pinkvoid Sat 11-Aug-18 07:26:33

The iPad is the worst thing I ever bought tbh. It serves literally no use other than to give me a bloody headache. I really don’t blame you for this, I have given my DM it for the week before now so it’s not in the house! My youngest DC is the worst for it, she’s completely hooked on it.

OytheBumbler Sat 11-Aug-18 19:14:34

Thanks for the replies and some really good ideas. I will look into a timer. I wish there was a smart one that they could log in to so it remembered half an hour here and there throughout the day rather than all at once.

It's actually going much better than I expected. It's prime iPad time now but instead they're in the shed (in the rain confused) under blankets and playing an imagination game.

I think I'm going to keep the ban indefinitely, or at least till the end of summer. DD7 is the real concern-she never picks up a book to read or plays independently while there's a screen available.

I also apologised to them for losing my temper. I said I meant what I said but I should have said it differently.

Here's hoping for a good, old-fashioned summer!smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: