Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Moving from combined pill to mini pill- more or less side effects?

(28 Posts)
Olivo Fri 10-Aug-18 22:33:31

I realise that everyone reacts differently, but have you done this and did you have better or worse side effects? I am moving from mercilon to cerazette.

NinkyNonk1 Fri 10-Aug-18 22:34:39

I have had no side effects with either of the pills as far as I am aware

Fatted Fri 10-Aug-18 22:36:00

I moved from combined to mini in my 20's and I had constant bleeding for about 6 weeks so came off it and went back onto combined. I was on it again after having DS1 and it completely stopped my periods that time.

Olivo Fri 10-Aug-18 22:38:07

Thanks. I have been advised to change due to my age; have taken mercilon for years, except for when pg. no side effects from it, use it back or back for 4 pks at a time. Keeps my skin less spotty plus I like no periods.

Worried I will bleed forever and get loads of spots.

HilaryBriss Fri 10-Aug-18 22:41:15

I've never taken the combined pill but have been on cerezette for 10 years almost and haven't had a period since the day I took the first pill, it's great. No other side effects either, not for me at least.

hownowpowpow Sat 11-Aug-18 13:40:40

I changed to cerazette, only side effect for me is an erratic cycle. So I never know when my period is due.

MeDearNoDear Sat 11-Aug-18 13:43:04

I've been on cerazette for about 9 years and have never had a period since I started taking it, it's great for me.

DelurkingAJ Sat 11-Aug-18 13:49:52

Took combined for 15 years with no issues. Mini pill after first pregnancy no issues. Mini pill after second pregnancy - depression symptoms in a week that lifted the day after I came off it (luckily only a few weeks later as I joined the dots and GP agreed).

Olivo Sat 11-Aug-18 15:29:08

Thanks. Handy to know what or look out for ( and the main point of taking it is to escape period!s)

hownowpowpow Sat 11-Aug-18 17:39:22

I am seriously jealous of the people who get no periods on cerazette.

Olivo Sat 11-Aug-18 18:55:52

Oh....not all then, hownow? That is one of my main reasons (although the gp would not allow me to stay on combined)

SophSoph92 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:02:26

I moved from combined to mini 4 months ago de to having my son and breastfeeding. I've had a non stop period for the past month. Absolutely hate it 😭😭

SophSoph92 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:02:57

And that's Cerazette I should have mentioned

hownowpowpow Sat 11-Aug-18 19:08:56

Seems to be different for everyone. I have to say I have no mood swings or weight gain or anything else with it. So I find it fine really other than the random periods.

Yarnswift Sat 11-Aug-18 19:11:17

Moved from combined to cerazette a few years back when diagnosed with focal migraines (risk factor for cardiovascular events.) zero issues, probably fewer slide effects if any. Periods became regular and normal after many years of ten day flooding.

Hormonal contraception is so individual- what works wonders for one is a nightmare for others. I would say give it a few months to settle. The only time I had periods almost stop was on the Modena coil

Yarnswift Sat 11-Aug-18 19:11:31

Mirena - typo

agentdaisy Sat 11-Aug-18 19:14:20

The mini pill doesn't always stop your periods. I had a 4 month period with cerazette along with awful mood swings and migraines. I tried a couple other mini pills and now take noriday. I still get pms and periods but it's once a month instead of constant like it was with others.

I loved the combined pill, I could control periods to within a few hours and had hardly any migraines. Then guidelines regarding migraines were changed and I'm not allowed the combined pill anymore.

Holidaysun221 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:54:27

Just to ask - what age do do GPs generally stop prescribing the combined pill ?

FlowerPowerCuppa Sat 11-Aug-18 23:36:43

The only side effect I had from the mini pill was DSgrinshock

Olivo Sun 12-Aug-18 13:56:44

Uh oh, I need to stop reading!

I am not using it as a contraceptive, so hopefully that part ok.

For the PP who asked about age, I am 45. Ian not a major risk but I am slightly overweight and my blood pressure over the past year has been on the high side of normal. I am working on the BP ( new less pressured job, hopefully, and working on my weight.)

She made sure to give me the branded one rather than generic as they are supposed to be better.

Olivo Sun 12-Aug-18 13:58:24

I'll be really peed off if I do get periods, having spent the past 20+ years being able to control them (2 or 3 a year) on the combined. Dreading the switch over sad

MissSmiley Sun 12-Aug-18 14:06:55

If you're done having children and want no periods you could consider having ablation
I did at 42 when my periods went really heavy and close together
Best thing I ever did, haven't had a drop since and I'm 46 now

Olivo Sun 12-Aug-18 14:31:53

I am done with children. dH has had the snip but I have liked being in control of my periods, plus. Y skin so much better.

If cerazette doesn't work for me, i will probably give up and take nothing.

FlowerPowerCuppa Sun 12-Aug-18 15:38:22

After having DS on the mini pill, DH had the snip. I then had,and still have the mirena coil fitted for heavy periods. After 6 months of spotting I've not had a period for 5 years. I love it!
is that something you could have? I'm 50

Olivo Sun 12-Aug-18 15:49:49

I was offered it but didn't like the sound of it 😳

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: