Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Did you know that Merlin staff don’t get their tips?

(21 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 10-Aug-18 21:32:09

I’m at Legoland... (it’s okay, I have wine...) and just ate in the restaurant in the Castle hotel.

I read a thread on here earlier where someone was complaining about tipping in New York so it was on my mind a little bit.

Got the bill.. (£140 for 2a and 2c. Ouch!) and was leaving a tip when the waitress told me not to bother as Merlin take it and they don’t get it.

How bad is that?? It’s not like they don’t earn enough from a £9 glass of wine or £65 steak (disclaimer, steak to feed two). Our waitress was rushed off her feet, so friendly and totally the reason I would give a big tip.

If anyone goes to these places in future I thought knowing this might be helpful!

donajimena Fri 10-Aug-18 21:33:26

That's appalling.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 10-Aug-18 21:34:17

Right?? That’s what I thought. She wouldn’t even secretly take cash.

ziggiestardust Fri 10-Aug-18 21:40:07

If that’s true, that’s awful. I thought it was illegal for restaurants to steal worker’s tips.

3luckystars Fri 10-Aug-18 21:42:04

That’s an awful price for a glass of wine.

Peoplemaynoticeus Fri 10-Aug-18 21:45:00

That meal price is shocking!

numptynuts Fri 10-Aug-18 21:52:43

Disgraceful. I hope the powers that be read this thread.

Tight, greedy fuckers. Value your staff angry

LookImAHooman Fri 10-Aug-18 21:59:46

Fuck me, we’ve got Michelin-starred venues here cheaper than that shock That’s insane. I’m not a fan of tipping per se but if a tip is left, it’s for the staff. It’s not rocket science. The utter twunting bastards up high.

TheAntiBoop Fri 10-Aug-18 22:10:06

We always ask if the waiter gets the tip as it's often the case that they don't if you put it on your card but they get to keep/split any cash tips with the rest of the waiting staff although in this case not

so it's always worth asking the waiter before you pay the service charge

The rule that was changed was that employers weren't allowed to make up the minimum wage with tips - so all waiting staff should be getting at least minimum wage and tips will be on top

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 10-Aug-18 22:13:01

I knew it would be pricey... I was prepared for that and in fairness we ordered steak, when I could have had soup / salad...

I was more appalled that they don’t get their tips and work their arses off in summer season. The table next to us was crazy demanding and really rude. I felt she deserved her tip. Keeping a smile on your face while being blamed for chips being ‘too hot to eat without blowing’ is some next level of customer service...!

Fluffyears Fri 10-Aug-18 22:13:28

We had the same thing said tonis at a restaurant attached to a Hilton hotel complex. We wanted to add the gratuity onto the room bill but the waiter said that gets kept by the hotel group sovwebgave him a cash tip. We weren’t prepared to give the hotel extra money as we paid enough for our room.

Worieddd Fri 10-Aug-18 22:14:56

You paid how much for your food in Legoland?! shock

llangennith Fri 10-Aug-18 22:16:34

I thought the government had made it illegal to deny staff their tips but apparently not.

MinaPaws Fri 10-Aug-18 22:19:31

These days I always ask the waiter directly and have cash ready. As an ex-waiter I know how much they rely on tips and massive wealthy corporations bosses who steal them are the pits.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Fri 10-Aug-18 22:41:13

I did have cash. They take that too apparently... she said not to bother.

kinseymilhone Sat 11-Aug-18 07:41:42

My DP worked in a very posh hotel but not as one of the front line waiting staff. He also provided excellent service but not in a role that is possible/usual to tip for. The hotel ethos was that the whole team of staff was responsible for providing the excellent service (on which the hotel prides itself) not just individual waiting staff in the multi-Michellen-started restaurant. All tips were collected by the hotel and divided equally between all the staff on a quarterly basis. This made for a nice bonus of a few hundred pounds for everyone - even the pot-washers and the gardeners.

I realise I am probably grasping at straws but could it be something similar at Merlin?? doubtful

MinaPaws Sat 11-Aug-18 15:43:20

They take their cash? That's stealing. Or extortion. Can't they just put it in a pocket it you hand it to the waiter personally?

NicoAndTheNiners Sat 11-Aug-18 15:46:20

I always ask. Some places the company take a percentage as an admin thing if you leave it via the machine. I always try and leave cash. So if with a group we will ask for the service charge to be removed and then leave cash.

NicoAndTheNiners Sat 11-Aug-18 15:48:21

Oh a friend of mine is a waitress and is meant to put her tips in a jar and it’s split between everyone weekly which I get makes it fair to kitchen staff.

She says she puts most of her tips in the jar but pockets some but says she has to be really careful not to be seen. I’ve eaten there before and am a pro at passing a tip to her without it being seen.

madeyemoodysmum Sat 11-Aug-18 16:00:01

I'm going to double check everywhere I go from now on!! Get a review of trip advisor too.

Fluffyears Sun 12-Aug-18 00:15:20

The man we were trying to tip had given good service to us and we wanted him to have the top not the front desk, not the spa staff, not the cleaners!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: