Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Well that was an unusual conversation...

(55 Posts)
EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:11:25

DS has been very upset tonight as he thinks he’s never going to be a daddy. He really wants to be a daddy apparently, it’s his dream, but he doesn’t want a girlfriend. He’s six grin Lovely bedtime chat about how he might want a girlfriend when he’s bigger, and if he doesn’t there are other ways of being a daddy.
Bless him I shouldn’t laugh he was genuinely upset but I thought I’d got a few years yet before these sort of conversations! Is it September yet? wine

BananaToffo Fri 10-Aug-18 21:20:06

Well, that's quite good logic, really. He doesn't want a girlfriend so how will he ever be a daddy? A fair conundrum, I think.

I suppose a discussion about turkey basters & surrogates is a bit advanced? grin

When my son was 4 he sobbed for half an hour because I told him he couldn't marry me when he grew up.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:25:18

Oh god we've had that too! Playing Game of Life and Ds says I’m the wife in his car and the babies are ours hmm Maybe a little young for Turkey basters, I did explain that some children have no one to look after them so they might need a daddy. I don’t think he believes me!

SomeKnobend Fri 10-Aug-18 21:29:17

My 8yo dd told me today she might marry her 6yo brother when she grew up. She was a bit disappointed when I told her you aren't allowed to marry your sibling also she could definitely do better.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:34:26

Ah bless her, at least she likes him rather than fights like some siblings? —clutching at straws—

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:34:46

Strike through fail blush

Acopyofacopy Fri 10-Aug-18 21:36:29

I remember 2 nights of hysterics when ds, then 6 years old, found out that the student teacher at his primary school did not live with her parents any more.

We reminded him of how we had to swear every 5 minutes that he could always live with us recently, when he was telling us of his plan to emigrate after university. grin

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 21:39:18

Acopy that’s so cute. The thought of not living with their parents is obviously something that hadn’t occurred to them before, it’s a lot to take in!

Lucked Fri 10-Aug-18 21:47:13

Yes DS, four at the time, burst into tears when I told him his little sister wouldn't be the mother of his children. He had deferred to her when I asked how many children he would have, which was thoughtful of him!

everycowandagain Fri 10-Aug-18 21:51:05

@Acopyofacopy I had the same conversation with 4 year old DD recently. She told me she didn't want to live somewhere else and pay money for it, and pointed out that our nanny still lives with her parents. I had to promise that she could always come back here and if we were ever somewhere else i would send her the details for her sat nav so she could find us!

4 seems a bit young to be worrying about having to move out! hmm

blamethecat Fri 10-Aug-18 21:53:09

Ds Is 5 and has asked many times if he can be a daddy if he lives with a boy when he's a grown up. His life goals are to be a daddy and drive a car, he has already decided he's buying a red car you can take the roof off. smile

LookImAHooman Fri 10-Aug-18 21:54:05

Spat wine out at Someknobend’s strikethrough grin Poor lad grin

missyB1 Fri 10-Aug-18 21:54:17

My ds age 9 has decided he’s definitely getting married and having children, but I’m going to have to live next door so that I can do everything for his children! I’m slightly worried about this scenario grin

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 22:02:28

missy that’s terrifying!

nailsathome Fri 10-Aug-18 22:14:02

My DD, 6, has decided she doesn't want to go though pregnancy and birth and so is going to adopt 15 children.

She's trying to work out how to fit them into our house as she said she is never leaving!

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 22:16:27

Time for you to move our then? grin

MinaPaws Fri 10-Aug-18 22:21:58

That is very cute. But the conversation is easy for those of us who had IVF. DC who have always known they were grown in a petri dish and implanted get that there's more than one way to make a baby.

sleepingdragon Fri 10-Aug-18 22:29:55

Not always @Mina! My donor conceived 4 year old son is currently insisting that Grandad is also his dad. I have suggested that he shouldn't mention his theory to other people as it would be confusing for them, I haven't mentioned my desire that other school parents don't believe he is the product of incest!

Radiosheep Fri 10-Aug-18 22:37:19

When one of mine was younger and he saw a lamp in a shop he liked but I wasnt goin to buy he said that he would buy one when he had his own house! Often get this when I have my own house I will get a pet whatever is the flavour of the month etc. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. grin

DidimusStench Fri 10-Aug-18 22:42:14

My 5 year old wants to marry her baby sister so that theyre never apart. She just can’t comprehend a life without being with her every day. However, she’s also ‘deeply in love’ (her words) with a boy in her class and apparently they will be getting married ASAP so I’m not sure how this set up is going to work out....

ignatiusjreilly Fri 10-Aug-18 22:42:22

My 3yo DD is growing 8 babies in her tummy at the moment, so she tells me. They're going to pop out soon. Her 6yo brother is the father, apparently confused

NoNoCharlieRascal Fri 10-Aug-18 22:47:04

When I was a nanny one charge (aged 6) had a full on tantrum when I told him I was getting married. He was screaming on the stairs 'But I was gonna marry you, you're mine!'

When he first met dh he kicked him in the shins and told him to leave blush he loves him now though and has finally forgiven him for marrying me grin

DaisysStew Fri 10-Aug-18 22:57:18

My 3 year old son insists that before he was in my tummy I was in his confused I got tired of trying to explain so now he often tells me all about how naughty I was when I lived in his tummy (and apparently he spat me out of his mouth grin).

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 10-Aug-18 23:06:25

I love these, and I’m glad DS isn’t the only one considering his future family plans at such a young age grin

YourDaughter Fri 10-Aug-18 23:07:58

My 4 year old is going to marry Prince George and be a princess, but not the queen; she always wants to be a princess grin. I’m invited to the wedding so long as I’m good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: