Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Beach weather - I’ve lost all concept of what is warm!

(22 Posts)
Dontfartbackinanger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:30:42

Off on holiday to Southwold. Forecast is about 21 degrees with sun / sun and cloud.

After baking in London for so long I have lost alll concept as to whether that is an acceptable temp to go to the beach or not?

I’m not talking to sun bathe but to take toddler DD to play and paddle etc.

Will we be really cold!?

Dowser Fri 10-Aug-18 20:34:54

Well it’s been 19 in north yorks today with a cool wind...wouldn’t say that was beach weather
It felt like autumn

hugoagogo Fri 10-Aug-18 20:37:45

It will be fine for paddling.
Southwold is breezy though- take a hoody!grin

Dontfartbackinanger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:40:01

Hoody is a good shout! Can’t believe weather has turned just as I go to the beach! Ah well.

BigGapMum Fri 10-Aug-18 20:41:17

That's about normal room temperature. Should be fine for just playing on the beach. Sea temperatures are higher than usual this year, following all the hot weather. Go and enjoy it, just be sure to take a change of clothes for your LO in case they get wet.

hugoagogo Fri 10-Aug-18 20:42:36

16 -18°C = mild
18-20°C = warm
20-22°C = hot
22-25 °C = really hot
25-30 °C = unbearably hot
30-35 °C = scorchio

Dontfartbackinanger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:46:53

See I had planned to just put her in a happy nappy as that’s all she’s had on here in paddling pool etc but that is not going to happen is it!

hugoagogo I think I probably used to agree with that but since having been so hot for so long I think I’ve acclimatised to thinking anything below 30 is cool!

hugoagogo Fri 10-Aug-18 20:50:38

Yeah I know it is weird. grin
southwold is great- you will love it.
Have you got beach shoes? It is a bit pebbly.

SisterFrancisBeaverhausen Fri 10-Aug-18 20:54:20

It was 18 here today and we went to the beach. The water was warm but I did need a hoodie to walk back to the car. It feels cold this evening, almost autumnal. I’m not sure if I got so used to it being hot that this feels cool or whether it would anyway! I’m hoping it goes up a few degrees before we go camping at the end of the month 🤞

Dontfartbackinanger Fri 10-Aug-18 20:55:44

Hmm, well flip flops and DD has some crocs. Thanks for all the advice!

EnidButton Fri 10-Aug-18 20:56:37

What Hugo said. Although I'm from the North of England so 18 degrees used to be hot until this Summer. I'd say take some light cover ups and it'll be lovely.

DinosApple Fri 10-Aug-18 21:08:34

Take a hoodie definitely and a towelling dress for your toddler. At 21 on the beach I'd be cold, but I am only warm at 25+.

The trouble with 30+ degree heat for so long is that you forget it can get cool again so quickly. I'm in Suffolk and it was 22 degrees cooler yesterday afternoon than it was at the beginning of the week!

PrincessHairyMclary Fri 10-Aug-18 21:19:47

I live down the road from Southwold, it's been raining a lot the last two days so come prepared and it can be a bit windy. Any weather is beach weather, as locals we tend to go to the beach more when it's not hot and sunny as our beach tends to get full with holiday makers, DD loves going in her wellies and coat (splash suit when little) and then going for chips and a hot chocolate so come prepared and you'll still have a lovely time and if it's too cool for you on the beach you can always go crabbing.

PrincessHairyMclary Fri 10-Aug-18 21:21:24

Also, make sure you fit in a trip to Bewilderwood whilst you are here it's brilliant and great for little ones.

Aragog Fri 10-Aug-18 21:33:05

I think yours are a bit too low Hugo.
I wouldn't say 20 was particularly warm. It's okay but still need a cardi

Aragog Fri 10-Aug-18 21:42:58

Mine would be:

15 and less = chilly
16 -18°C = cool; need a jumper or jacket
18-20°C = not bad; will need a hoodie or cardi esp in evening or if there's a slightest breeze
20-22°C = warmish; will need cardi in evenings esp; will be nice in full sun
22-25 °C = warm even with shade, but when temp drops in evening you might want a cardi
25-30 °C = hot; I'd struggle in full sun esp in middle of day to mid afternoon; evenings will be nice
30-35 °C = very hot; need air con breaks every so often but evenings will be lovely
35-40 = uncomfortably hot
40+ = eek!

hugoagogo Fri 10-Aug-18 21:52:41

Orangedaisy Fri 10-Aug-18 21:58:58

I was on the beach at 19C with 18mo DD yesterday-she was in nappy, sunsuit, hoody and sun hat and sat in the shallows for an hour sorting the rocks. I was in shorts, crocs, light jumper and rain jacket(kept off wind). She got grouchy and cold/hungry after the hour so put her in leggings and t shirt and her sister’s light cardi for a picnic lunch in the pushchair before going elsewhere for a walk/nap. Have a great hol.

happypotamus Fri 10-Aug-18 22:16:02

It was about 18 degrees on the Welsh coast yesterday. DDs were happily running in and out of the sea in their swimsuits, but it was a bit breezy and I put a hoody on at about 4pm . Then my 3 year old realised she was cold and started shivering until she was dried and dressed, then insisted on going to the ice cream shop.

Dontfartbackinanger Sat 11-Aug-18 07:41:14

Thanks guys!
hairymclairy - thanks for tip. Love the sound of biwilderwod. Is it good for 18 month old do you reckon?

hugoagogo Sat 11-Aug-18 09:31:18

Bewilderwood is great, but an 18month won't really appreciate it I don't think. I haven't been for a few years but it involves a lot of adventure playground type equipment and a little boat ride, fabulous for older children ( and me smile) but probably lost on toddlers.
It's also pretty far from Southwold.

Dontfartbackinanger Sat 11-Aug-18 20:41:53

Thanks hugo!
So can confirm was warm enough for beach and a paddle! Thanks to the person who warned about the wind! So windy! I’m so grateful to you (and our hoodies!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: