Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

What would you put in hospital bag for friend

(30 Posts)
Allthegoodusernamesaregonesad Fri 10-Aug-18 15:47:36

My friend has been diagnosed with early stage cancer of her womb. She is going into hospital in a few weeks to a hysterectomy and will be there for a week. I'm going to make up a hospital bag for her and just wondering what I should put in it. I'm going to buy her phone credit so she can ring whoever she needs to. I've made a list of things to buy her like tooth brush, tooth paste, Lip balm, Baby wipes, a pen, chewing gum, some sweets. If you were in hospital what did u need. What should I put in it for her? I don't want to forget something important for her.

N0tfinished Fri 10-Aug-18 16:01:49

Do you mean the bag she will take to hospital? Or just some nice things she might find useful & comforting. I'm sure she'll be packing her own toiletries etc. How about a nice sleep mask & a couple of sets of earplugs. I imagine sleeping in hospital will be difficult. Does she have a tablet or a kindle? A cheap tablet & a Netflix membership might be a better option if you can stretch to it.

UpstartCrow Fri 10-Aug-18 16:06:06

You know the mini packs of juice cartons? Bung one in the freezer for her and put it in a cool bag, the wards can be too hot. People can replace it when they visit.

LucyMD Fri 10-Aug-18 16:08:25

How about some magazines and some nice chocolate biscuits? Yes to a nice eye mask and some ear plugs! Maybe a puzzle book? And some nice shower gel and moisturiser or hand cream as the hand sanitizer can make skin quite dry

Troels Fri 10-Aug-18 16:11:02

The one thing all the ladies used to howl with laughter at was when their Dh's would pack them a bag and you could guarantee a pair of undies that were mostly useless like you'd have for your wedding. They would laugh so hard wondering where he found them somewhere at the back of the knicker drawer.
Myself I'd pack, biscuits to go with her endless cups of tea, choocolate for watching a film on her laptop and nice smelly soap to wash her hands after the loo so she can smell luxurious.

AwkwardAsAllGetout Fri 10-Aug-18 16:12:01

When I was in hospital a few years ago someone bought me a beautiful new blanket backed with fleece and I appreciated it so much. I’m always cold anyway but hospital blankets are scratchy and thin. This made me feel a bit more at home. I was incredibly bored but also quite traumatised by what I’d been through so I didn’t actually manage to read much. If the hospital has the TVs you have to pay to watch maybe top up a card for her to do that, and some nice headphones?

RosaMallory Fri 10-Aug-18 16:16:00

When I was as in hospital I wanted: no talc talcum powder, clean pyjamas/leggings/tops, magazines with lots of pictures, shower gel, a soft teddy that smelt of home, moisturiser, clean pants, my toothbrush. My dh was in such a dither he packed his toothbrush and no clean pants!

Allthegoodusernamesaregonesad Fri 10-Aug-18 16:17:01

She is a up in the air at the minute worried about if it has spread and trying to organise the children going back to school so I was going to organise her hospital bag for her.. Everything she needs. I've found nice pj's online and I have the proper "granny" underwear for her, some nice fluffy socks. I just don't want her to panic any more than she needs to. Regardless of the outcome we are going to get through this. She is amazing friend to me, 1 in a million, so I just want to do what I can for her.

LucyMD Fri 10-Aug-18 16:24:03

So lovely of you to help her with this! How about some nice slippers too?

argumentativefeminist Fri 10-Aug-18 16:32:13

Maybe one of those small very concentrated squeezable squash things? In my experience hospital drinks are endless not very nice teas or water, and a plain orange squash if you're lucky!

itsBritneyBeach Fri 10-Aug-18 16:33:15

Some ear plugs and a sleep mask? Just in case she's on a noisy ward? This is a lovely thing to do thanks

fluffypudcats Fri 10-Aug-18 16:38:42

I second the teddy bear. I was desperate to have someone cuddle me. Ear plugs, sleep mask, silly card to make her smile, puzzles or adult colouring or zentangles. Also a photo from a funny, happy, silly point in life

doleritedinosaur Fri 10-Aug-18 16:40:05

The Andrex or Lidl/Aldi flushable toilet wipes, lip balm, a tall cup with a straw, a bottle of squash.
A wash bag for toiletries & flip flops for the showers.

A nice cushion to go under the awful
Pillows or a nice pillowcase to take a pillow.
A nice blanket & a soft cardigan to go over pjs incase of walking around.

You’re a nice friend to do this. When I was admitted suddenly at 32 weeks pregnant my friend’s rushed around & picked up things for me & I was so grateful.

Allthegoodusernamesaregonesad Fri 10-Aug-18 16:49:54

Thank you for all the suggestions... I'm writing them all down and I'll buy them next week and put them in her bag. she is amazing.. She goes without to give to her kids and I just want her to have everything think she needs now. I'll put some cash in the case too so she can get stuff from the shop. Will she need sanex or something special to wash with after the surgery?

BackforGood Fri 10-Aug-18 16:51:11

Magazine(s) and puzzle books.
It's hard to concentrate on a book when you are in hospital, but things you can dip in and out of for 10 mins or so, are useful - crosswords, sudoku, other puzzles etc.
Or download some films or box sets on to her tablet / iPad if she has one (or can you lend her one?)

N0tfinished Fri 10-Aug-18 16:53:34

I wonder would a nightie be good too, she might have a catheter & would have wound checks etc. PJ's mightn't be great in the initial days. If anyone has had abdominal surgery they might confirm.

Well done you, this is a lovely gesture xx

cornishclottedcream Fri 10-Aug-18 16:59:26

Things I wanted/needed were as follows:
Some body sprays/ deodorant to refresh herself and because she might need to use the commode and the blue curtains hide nothing including smells.wink
Wet wipes for face and body because at the moment most hospitals are hot.
I had a small cool bag, think lunchbox size with some cool packs that my visitors replaced every time they came.
Squash and fizzy water so I could have a cool drink.
Magazines/puzzle books.
My Dad paid for Internet access for me.
Some little food treats e.g party biscuits/nice fruit etc. I craved crisps/savoury treats like the little Graze boxes.
Loved it when I was given new pyjamas/loose tracksuit bottoms
Will carry on thinking...but I spent six months on and off in hospital.

Eeeeek2 Fri 10-Aug-18 16:59:32

Ear plugs and eye mask are a must
Headphones so she can watch/listen to something if she can't sleep
Power bank so she can charge phone/tablet
I'd go with plain soap so it doesn't sting any scars
Hand cream -hospital hand wash can be harsh
Puzzle book? Note pad/pen
Mags/easy to read novel
I'd go for a nighty incase she is catheterised
Dressing gown/slippers
Cardie, loose trousers/leggings, loose t-shirt, socks

waitingforwombat Fri 10-Aug-18 17:00:13

More than 1 pair of pj's, she may well bleed heavily. Some nice maternity/sanitary towels - hosp ones are grim. Slippers. A light dressing gown.
Toiletries - handcream, mini versions of nice shower gel and shampoo, lip balm, face spritz. Toothbrush,tooth paste, mouthwash, comb and hand mirror. Wet wipes/facial wipes. Mints.
Nice snacks, fruit juice, those new twining tea infusions things for cool water, an insulated cup to keep tea warm. Is there a Costa /Starbucks in hospital? Maybe a gift card for them? Some cash.
Coming home clothes - comfy baggies!
Selection magazines/kindle gift card/iTunes card - whatever appropriate. Even better if you can take the time to download some podcasts/books/box sets she might like!
Paper and pen
Notes from her kids. Photo of family.
Phone charger, headphones, ear plugs, lavender spray for her pillow.
"voucher" from friends promising things when she gets home. My church does a rota of meals delivered in evening if someone has been in hospital for week thry come home. And someone often pops round to do hoovering etc.

youngscrappyandhungry Fri 10-Aug-18 17:04:59

As an self-appointed expert after having eleven surgeries, I'd also recommend:
—dry shampoo because it can be difficult to wash your hair right after surgery especially if you can't get your stitches or surgical dressings wet
—memory foam neck pillows like the ones sold at the airport, which are a godsend for bracing against your abdomen when you need to laugh, cough, sneeze, or sit up
—a lightweight robe that can be thrown over a hospital gown to ensure your back and bottom are covered. PJs are great for later on, but far too much faff for the first day or two post surgery when nurses are constantly checking dressings and there are drainage tubes and catheters still in
—your friend's favorite type of mints, gum, or hard candy which can help with dry mouth and nausea (particularly peppermint and ginger flavored ones)
—an extra long phone and/or tablet charger (with a 10ft or longer cord) because there often aren't power outlets right next to the hospital bed

carbuckety Fri 10-Aug-18 17:13:34

If she's also having chemo, ginger stuff is good for the nausea. Cordial, chewy stuff too. A shawl maybe for when she is cold ( I know but I got shivery). When my DD was in hospital with cancer I upped her data allowance massively as usually there is no WiFi available so she could use it with no worries. Really soft stuff: washed t shirts, soft Cardigan, comfy slippers, hand cream and lip balm and body lotion because hospital dehydrates you. REN do lovely small sizes of nice smelling stuff. She may notice her skin gets really sensitive. Audiobooks, posh magazines, some trashy novels as concentrating is so hard. When you visit bring nice food. Stuff from M&S deli is good, small sizes to nibble on. I took in cheap,portable DVD player and bought box set of private practice and QI for entertainment as no WiFi and the hospital TV was expensive.

I hope she recovers quickly. You sound like a nice friend

Allthegoodusernamesaregonesad Fri 10-Aug-18 17:27:08

@carbuckety no chemo... Yet. They hope it hasn't spread. I keep saying to her 1 step at a time. surgery first and positive thinking.. if it is we will deal with then but for now we deal with hysterectomy.

Thank you all for your suggestions they are amazing. I'll will get her nightie x 2 and some nice pj's for later. Should I buy them a size bigger? Also I wonder if I should buy some tena ladies underwear that she could just throw away for the first few days.

argumentativefeminist Fri 10-Aug-18 17:34:36

Nice loo roll!!

PalePinkSwan Fri 10-Aug-18 17:36:59

A rechargeable battery (ready charged!) for her mobile, if she can’t get up to plug hers in she’ll run out of battery quickly.

carbuckety Fri 10-Aug-18 17:48:34

Oh yes soft toilet roll. We took in packs of Andrew and Kleenex balm tissues. And I think just soft very elastic waisted PJs when you get to it. Any brand that is cotton. I would wash them first to make sure they are soft. DD just wore a mans XL t shirt and knickers ( but she never got out of bed) and I also took in her own bedding for softness ( teenage cancer ward lets you do stuff like that).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: