Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Electric cars

(32 Posts)
Namelesswonder Fri 10-Aug-18 11:47:23

I’m thinking about a Renault Zoe, it would be used as a second family car, a city run around. Anyone with experience of an electric car?

Kneesbendarmstretchrarara Fri 10-Aug-18 14:55:41

We have a Zoe ZE as DH managed to get it halfprice through work.

Our elec bill has gone up by £70pcm and we get about 800-900 miles from this as long as you DON’T use the motorway.

If you accelerate steadily, you slow down on the approach to lights and you stick to roads under 50mph, it is the perfect car. Ideal for ‘about town’.

I love that you can even see when you’re at the optimal speed for it to re-charge itself.

If you use motorways, this is not the car for you. Money-wise you’ll end up spending just as much on electricity as you would a fueled vehicle.

If you have any other questions, shout.

Kneesbendarmstretchrarara Fri 10-Aug-18 14:57:25

Oh, I should state that the range at full charge is around 220-260 miles. I rounded down my to 200 as a conservative for you because everyones’ driving is difficult.

RedneckStumpy Fri 10-Aug-18 15:01:01

Nothing to add, but wouldn’t mind a electric car, but it would need to be able to tow 1500kg

Namelesswonder Fri 10-Aug-18 16:07:06

Many thanks for the response. That’s good to know re the electricity bill, I hadn’t thought it would be that much. I wouldn’t use the car on motorways, just short journeys around town so think it would be quite practical.

chocolateworshipper Fri 10-Aug-18 16:31:53

We have a Nissan Leaf. We also have a petrol car, so it's never an issue having a limited range car (although most service stations have a charging point anyway). An electric car is absolutely perfect if you're mainly running it around town, and is way cheaper than paying for petrol / diesel, oil changes, replacing the exhaust etc and the regenerative braking means that the brake pads and discs last a lot longer too.

SimonBridges Fri 10-Aug-18 16:36:36

Electric cars have infinite torque so can tow with greater ease than petrol cars, Redneck.

chocolateworshipper Fri 10-Aug-18 17:10:18

Just asked DH about costs - our electricity bill has gone up by £500 a year and we've done about 10,000 miles a year. He reckons the same number of miles in the other car would cost 3.5 times that (£1750)

Namelesswonder Fri 10-Aug-18 17:38:34

Thanks chocolateworshipper that’s really good to know

Rosiepamplemousse Fri 10-Aug-18 18:04:45

The Renault Zoe Owner’s Club (RZOC) page on Facebook is a mine of useful information. You need to request to join.

Knitjob Fri 10-Aug-18 18:24:02

We have a Zoe. I really love it. It's a second car for us too, we have a caravan and a diesel monster to pull it. Our bills have gone up £40ish a month but we don't use it every day. Apart from our summer holiday the diesel car hasn't moved in months, we both prefer to use the Zoe.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the middle seat in the back doesn't have a headrest. It's obviously not made for driving 5 people about all the time, it's not big enough, but that still does bother me.

And it doesn't make any engine noise so you have to look out for people when you're pulling out of a driveway or parking space. People don't always realise your engine is in and are about to move.

JennyWreny Fri 10-Aug-18 20:38:46

If you are on Facebook, there's a group called UK Electric Vehicle Owners which might have some useful information for you.

boatyroo Fri 10-Aug-18 20:42:52

I have a Nissan leaf and love it. It's perfect for my commute and local journeys and have done a few longer ones stopping at service stations where it takes about 45 minutes to charge up using a rapid charger.

Namelesswonder Fri 10-Aug-18 21:19:36

Thanks knitjob that’s all really good to know. I’m getting quite excited!

Namelesswonder Fri 10-Aug-18 21:22:03

Thanks Jennywreny I will have a look. Thanks boatyroo I will check out the Leaf too but think I want something smaller

Aragog Fri 10-Aug-18 21:31:10

I'm looking at get a new car next year and wanting a small electric car. Looking at getting a Smart 2 seater convertible.

Have done a bit of research which is ongoing. Mine will most likely be in a lease and changed after 2-3 years. But I tend to do that anyway with new cars these days.

A friend of dh's has a Tesla X and loves it so far - had it about 3 months or so.

A friend of mine had a Zoe, on lease. Good price apparently but something about paying out after two years for a battery. She changed it at that point.

thenightsky Fri 10-Aug-18 21:41:39

Had a go in a friend's BMW i3 the other week. I was very impressed. The acceleration was insane!

BackforGood Fri 10-Aug-18 21:42:59

Sorry if this is a daft question, but, with an electric car, do you have to install a special charging point on the outside of your house, or do you constantly run a wire out the window of your front room, or do you bring some sort of battery pack inside at night ? confused

MeetieVonWrinkleSqueak Fri 10-Aug-18 21:45:53

We have an i3 and I love it! It's so smooth to drive, and yes, the acceleration is amazing. It's just about the perfect city/town car.

Re: charging - we had a charger installed, so the car charges in about 4 hours, but yes, you could just use a normal plug socket - it would take about 9 hours to charge, though.

boatyroo Fri 10-Aug-18 21:58:18

I installed a charger. Not sure if it is still the case but when I installed mine you could get a government grant to get one installed if the car had been bought from a dealer. Mine was (second hand), so the home charger didn't cost anything.

Knitjob Fri 10-Aug-18 22:06:07

We have a charger installed in the garage and the cable fits under the door so the garage door is still locked when the car is charging. We didn't pay, I think there was some government initiative for fitting them.

Another minor thing which annoys me is that when the car is charging I can hear this weird electrical humming sound in the house. Dh and the kids can't hear it, just me. I can tell as soon as it's plugged in. Bat ears.

BruceAndNosh Fri 10-Aug-18 22:08:02

Nissan Leaf owners- any of you got the new 2018 Leaf?

Tiggles Fri 10-Aug-18 22:08:41

Renault zoe best car I have ever owned.
My 40pound fuel bill a month became 10pound extra on electric bill.
Came with free charging point for house.
Accelerated like a bullet
Now don't own a car but would get another in a heart beat

BackforGood Fri 10-Aug-18 22:24:13

Thanks. Something I've often wondered.

Ilikesweetpeas Fri 10-Aug-18 22:52:24

Interesting thread, thanks. I've wondered about getting an electric car next time. Are they much more expensive to buy?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: