Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

rear facing car seats, a question

(61 Posts)
Samcro Fri 10-Aug-18 11:35:21

my dc's are adults now, back in the day they went in baby seats, booster and then no seat. they moved from rear facing at a few months old.
last night dh and I saw a bit on I think it was the local news about rear facing being safer, they said it was best to have baby/child in RF up till about 5.
now we got all the reasoning about it safety wise......but could not work out.......where do their legs go? are they not forever having to "scrunch up"
(I need to know these thing in case i am ever a GP)

usernotfound0000 Fri 10-Aug-18 11:37:49

We rear faced until 3 years, DD would cross her legs up in the seat, or knees bent with feet against the back of the seat. She never complained about not being comfortable.

Samcro Fri 10-Aug-18 11:39:03

do they get bored? I can't imaging it being much fun just looking at a seat.

furryelephant Fri 10-Aug-18 11:40:47

My LG loves rear facing, she still seems to see everything out of the window and has a mirror attached to the headrest above her so she can see us in the front (and we can see her). No complaints and if I kept her rear facing to the weight limit of the seats (25kg) shed be between 5-6 years 😬

MartyMcFly1984 Fri 10-Aug-18 11:42:09

Apparently at that age their joints accommodate it easily. They sit on the floor crossed legged at school regularly, and I honestly struggle to get out of bed. They're fine. The seats are also designed to fit them, not like the tiny baby seats from years ago. Problem with my kids though was that they were too tall for the rear facing seats before that age, and I had no choice but to put them forward a bit earlier.

Marmite27 Fri 10-Aug-18 11:42:35

My DD is 3 next month and is still rear facing and will be for a while.

She can see out of the back and side windows so can probably see more than if she was front facing.

She crosses her legs or sticks them over the edge of her seat, or just scrunches them. She’s never known any different.

InNeedOfALieInNow Fri 10-Aug-18 11:44:22

They look out of the side window or the rear windscreen. (I don’t think facing forwards is much more interesting).

I’ve a tall 4.5 year old (and a 2 year old) in rear facing seats and they’ll stay there until 6. She either puts her legs straight up the seat back, or crosses them. She has never complained about leg discomfort - I think they’re fine as long as the length of their thigh is well supported.

I’m sure if I asked her she’d prefer to face forwards. However safety trumps her opinion or even her comfort to some degree, hence why she’s rear facing. The seats they’re in are Big and expensive. They make leg room in our huge car much more cramped for driver and passenger. But I have total peace of mind that they’re safe

SisterNotCisTerf Fri 10-Aug-18 11:45:33

Google images. There are loads of photos to show you where their legs go.

Samcro Fri 10-Aug-18 11:46:36

i just realised if they are small, they will only really see the front seat. it was interesting as it advised putting the younger child on the passenger side as well.

SisterNotCisTerf Fri 10-Aug-18 11:47:12

Im wondering when they’ll start building cars with all passenger seats rear facing as standard.

Patienceofatoddler Fri 10-Aug-18 11:50:49

My children both rear face (3.5 and 2) and will do until they are around 6.

They have Axkid Minikid seats which are Swedish Plus tested (worth googling this if your interested) and are for children up to 25kg.

We chose a car which has 3 rear full size seats - allows them to be fitted with lots of room for adults and enough leg room for them.

They are not bored as they have excellent visibility outside the side windows and rear window as a pose to looking at the back of the seat in front smile

TheBrilloPad Fri 10-Aug-18 12:51:06

Have attached a pic of my 2&4 year olds rear facing. The two year old still has loads of room. The 4 year olds seat is fitted slightly back from being pressed up against the seat so she has some room to put them down if she wants to, but she mostly sits with them crossed or bent anyway.

Get a 4 year old and tell them to sit on a chair. I guarantee within 5 mins 100% of them will have wriggled their legs under them, or sat with their legs crossed like they do at school etc. Kids that young are no good at sitting up straight on chairs with the legs nicely straight - they are used to sitting with their legs crossed on the floor etc, and it's no change to them at all.

TheBrilloPad Fri 10-Aug-18 12:53:02

Sorry pic didn't attach - trying now.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 12:58:13

Ok I’m a childminder and some parents have asked about rear facing....

I don’t know how I could accommodate that in my large 7 seater. How do you get the middle child in? How do you teach their buckle? If I can only get one door open how do they walk along to their chair? What is they have wet/muddy shoes?

It just doesn’t seem workable to me at this time.

TheBrilloPad Fri 10-Aug-18 13:14:33

@GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat My pic above was when I just had two rear facing seats in a normal hatchback, I now have three rear facing across the middle row of a 7 seater due to new baby.

So
1) They don't do their own buckle. The seats are belted in and all rear facing seats have a 5 point harness, so you need to do that for them. For the middle child, you just have to reach across to do it, or do it from the front seat and lean over above them.
2) the back two seats in the "boot" are then so difficult to get to, because you can't move the middle row forward as all the seats are there. So the back two seats are mostly used by children who climb in through the boot and climb over, or they just clamber over the middle row.
3) They get in like a bit of an obstacle course I guess. I open the doors, lift one in, they just keep climbing over and keep going until they get to their own seat 😂 You can't be precious about keeping the car tidy I guess, mine is always covered in muddy footprints as it's impossible for them to get in or out without doing a bit of climbing through the car at some point!

It's like anything though, once you're used to it, you're used to it. Having 3+ children in harnessed seats is never going to be quick to strap in whether they are forward facing or rear facing, and I'd prefer the extra safety of having mine rear facing and an extra 60 seconds of hassle strapping them in.

TheRealHousewifeofCheshire Fri 10-Aug-18 13:18:07

They will put their legs in a comfy position AND getting bored is myth pepetuated by parents If theyve only ever rearfaced they wont know sny different. X

SisterNotCisTerf Fri 10-Aug-18 13:20:35

Brillo would it be possible to have one of your rear facing seats in the back row allowing you to pull one of the middle row seats forward for acces to the back row?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 13:43:27

Sorry yes it was a typo, I meant reach the buckle. I can’t reach without learning right in to the gap and couldn’t do that if they had the back of the outside chair there. I can’t reach from the front seat either confused I’m not even short! Just a bit fat grin

memememe Fri 10-Aug-18 14:59:03

georgie, i have 2 rf seats in the middle and outside seat of my middle row and one in the boot. so i step in the car to do the middle seat (with the edge seat folded forward for rear access and then lean in the back to do the seat in the boot. does that make sense?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Fri 10-Aug-18 15:02:00

Yes that’s how I do my ff seats if in that arrangement (I’m always moving hen around depending on the children I have). I didn’t know if you could have/ it would fit in the boot seats.

Penny31 Fri 10-Aug-18 15:06:09

Is there a law that states until what age they must be rear facing?

StarveInn Fri 10-Aug-18 20:09:38

Penny31

15 months for isize seats or 9kg for the r44 legislation.

WhoKnowsWereTheTimeG0es Fri 10-Aug-18 20:25:17

I'm similar in that mine are teenagers now and went FF as soon as they moved out of the babyseats. The question that puzzles me about longer term RF seats is what people do in second cars, grandparents cars etc. When mine were in 5 point harness seats we had to have a pair for each of our cars as one of us dropped off at nursery and the other picked up, on days when GPs had the DCs we moved a set of our seats to their car. But our seats cost about £60 each so having a second set was affordable, these RF seats seem to be a lot more money - do people still buy two sets and do they fit in smaller cars like my DPs small hatchback?

MissMysticFalls Fri 10-Aug-18 20:29:28

My son only just switched from rear facing aged six. He had a brilliant view out of the whole of the rear window (we removed the head rest). Plus if anyone sat in the back with him he was facing them, which made conversation and interaction lovely.

We had the funny little mirror.

Plus he always told me when an ambulance or police car was coming up behind me!

He had no problem with his legs even in a smallish car, but the front seat had to be forward quite a bit.

Patienceofatoddler Fri 10-Aug-18 20:47:32

@WhoKnowsWereTheTimeG0es when we had more than one car we had a set of tethers set up in each car so only takes a few minutes to refit.

You can get seats for £170 (Britax Two Way Elite) Which go to 25kg and for even less (Joie branded seats) which go to 18kg.

We used to to have small hatchback when we had 1 small person but when we went down to one car got one much larger car as priority to us was to have space for multiple children / dog / luggage. A bigger car doesn't mean more expensive as such as we still get 50mpg from our MPV / tax is cheap etc

My two Axkid Minikid seats fit fine in my mums Fiesta when required.

The availability of affordable rear facing seats is increasing and you don't need to spend £300 a seat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: