Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Wedding blessing

(12 Posts)
NotSoBonnie Fri 10-Aug-18 08:28:48

So I've been invited to a wedding blessing.. not sure what this is.

Can anyone point me in the direction for dress code and whether a gift is to be expected and what would be appropriate?

I really haven't got a clue!

PanPanPanPing Fri 10-Aug-18 08:37:32

I went to one many years ago in a CofE church. The couple had been married in their local registry office earlier in the morning (just them and their parents) and then had a church blessing later on. The groom was divorced and the vicar wouldn't perform a church wedding, but the bride had wanted a church wedding - so the vicar compromised with a church blessing.

To all intents and purposes, we attending their 'wedding' in the church and then went on to a traditional wedding reception. Dress code was normal wedding wear and, yes, we bought them a wedding present.

PanPanPanPing Fri 10-Aug-18 09:30:02

attended blush

I should also have added that the etiquette for a wedding blessing is just the same as for a regular church wedding - unless you've had any specific guidance or instructions from the B & G!

BestThingsAreFree Fri 10-Aug-18 09:31:01

The couple got married 6(?) years ago. This is what's confusing me

PanPanPanPing Fri 10-Aug-18 09:38:02

NC fail, OP?!

Ah. Did they elope? Or have a tiny registry office wedding which you didn't go to? TBH, it sounds a bit more like 'renewal of vows' in a church than an actual wedding blessing.

I think dress code wise, you're still better off going with traditional wedding outfits. But as for a present - then that would perplex me too, especially if I'd already given a present 6 years ago, in which case I think another present is unnecessary, although a card would be nice.

IsTheRainEverComingBack Fri 10-Aug-18 09:46:57

Have either of them become Christian since they married? I know some people who had secular weddings and then became Christian and wanted the marriage blessed? Or was it very small and now they want something bigger? Clothing wise I’d go for what you’d usually wear to a church wedding, but after 6 years I don’t think I’d give a gift?

BestThingsAreFree Fri 10-Aug-18 15:46:33

@PanPanPanPing - NC for a different post.

BestThingsAreFree Fri 10-Aug-18 15:48:15

I went to the original wedding.

I get the feeling this is going to be smaller than the first wedding?!

Not sure how this kind of thing works.

Penfold007 Fri 10-Aug-18 23:09:25

If the original wedding was six years ago then surely this is a vow renewal . Which one has been unfaithful?

SnuggyBuggy Fri 10-Aug-18 23:11:35

I'd be guided by the time of day and what is scheduled for after the ceremony but I would go for the sort of outfit you would wear for a Christening.

BackforGood Sat 11-Aug-18 00:03:08

BestThingsAreFree - are you the OP ?
It's confusing, as your posts aren't highlighted as you've changed names (if you are).

Like others, I've been to a couple of blessings where the couple didn't get married (legally) in the Church, but it was the same week, and it was considered to be 'their wedding' - so wedding clothes, and yes to a present.
I've not come across someone getting 'blessed' 6 years afterwards.

Generally speaking though, if someone invited you to a party of any kind, you take a present, so I'd say yes to that. If you bought them a wedding present first time round, then maybe more of a token present this time though.

PanPanPanPing Sat 11-Aug-18 08:40:40

Was the original wedding a church one?

As Penfold and I have both said, it sounds more like a 'vow renewal' but they're choosing to call it a wedding blessing - six years down the line confused

Do you know anyone else who's been invited - and what's their take on it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: