Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anal fissure? Can there be a lot of blood?

(30 Posts)
user1471530109 Fri 10-Aug-18 07:42:42

I'm on holiday so can't really just pop to a Dr until I get back next week.
I am pretty sure I have an anal fissure (sorry tmi blush) as had one diagnosed year ago. But then it was just a v small amount of blood on wiping.

I have a lot of blood. Like period amount of blood. It's bright red though and I've had an upset stomach for a few days beforehand.

I'm really embarrassed and sorry to be sharing this with you. But I'm on my own with 2 DC and it's ruining the last few days as quite naturally I'm pretty anxious.

Can it be possible to have quite a bit of blood with a fissure? I will of course be going to GP next week...

StylishMummy Fri 10-Aug-18 07:43:58

There shouldn't be period like amounts so I'd see if you can get in with your GP today

KinderBean Fri 10-Aug-18 07:44:29

An anal fissure us extremely painful. You literally feel like you are exreting a cut piece of ice.

KinderBean Fri 10-Aug-18 07:44:48

Sorry not ice, glass!

EBearhug Fri 10-Aug-18 07:45:59

I don't think you should wait till next week - I think you should get it looked at today. That's quite a bit of blood if it's not your period.

Madeline18 Fri 10-Aug-18 07:46:04

Yes. I had a fissure when I pregnant and sometimes the amount of bloody looked quite scary. Mine was very bad, would be agonising when I had to go, had to go on lactulose to soften everything and get a special cream from the GP.

glintandglide Fri 10-Aug-18 07:46:37

Yes there can be a lot of blood. DH suffers with the frequently and GPS have only offered OTC remedies which you can buy pretty much anywhere (we’ve had to buy them all over the world!)

Lots of water, try to keep up your fibre. Irritates the fissure less when your poo passes

user1471530109 Fri 10-Aug-18 07:46:53

But I can't see anyone as on holiday (out of country).

It's not really painful no. A bit uncomfortable.

Oh god.

glintandglide Fri 10-Aug-18 07:48:50

It’s ok OP, with the greatest of respect I think it’s inevitable that people are going to tell you to go to GP because that’s usually all that happens on health threads. I totally get why you can’t and don’t necessarily think you need to be running off as an emergency even if you were here- there isn’t any treatment for a fissure really. Creams lessen the pain and lubricate a bit.

user1471530109 Fri 10-Aug-18 07:53:01

Like I said. Not a whole lot I can do right now. I've had an upset stomach (but not that bad!) and it started with a bit of old on wiping which I just put down as nothing as I get this quite often.

Then the last 24 hours there has been a lot of blood. Not constant bleeding though it's
If that makes sense? It's scared me tbh. But I'm still confident it's nothing sinister due to colour and the fact it followed the dodgy tum.

FFS sad

glintandglide Fri 10-Aug-18 07:56:00

Yep dodgy tum will do it. Poor you

Madeline18 Fri 10-Aug-18 08:02:30

I don’t think it’s sinister, I think you just gave a really bad tear. Mine took weeks to heal, as every time I went it would reopen. Just get it checked by a GP when you get home to make sure it is okay and maybe pick up some cream at a pharmacy if one near by.

hungryhippie Fri 10-Aug-18 08:05:40

I used to have A LOT of blood. When going to the toilet it would tear and literally splatter against the sides of the pan. I do have low platelets though so that couldnt have helped.

imstartingtogetfitnow Fri 10-Aug-18 08:07:49

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water

BerniceA Fri 10-Aug-18 08:12:26

My partner had this so he had colonoscopy he had Haemorrhoids and a tear x

user1471530109 Fri 10-Aug-18 08:14:19

Thank you flowers

Will be upping the water too. I think the dodgy tum is down to eating carbs this week as I don't normally eat many at all (diabetic). So will try and cut them out again.

Thankfully, not too painful. But not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Least I'd definitely know then.

blitzen Fri 10-Aug-18 08:53:56

I had an anal fissure as a child. I remember the toilet being quite bloody after going but actually, I just think it looks worse when the blood is in water. Main thing is you keep your bottom clean. Cream, such as sudocrem or preparation h will ease any discomfort (and will lubricate future bowel movements).

user1471530109 Fri 10-Aug-18 09:51:39

Can I ask what creams I should be looking for?
I think the bleeding is actually getting worse sad
I'm just hoping I can get home before it gets to the point I need to see someone quickly.

user1471530109 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:41:12

Ok. In airport for journey home.

Today there is no bleeding. None at all. Tbh, this hasn't actually made me feel any better. Surely if it was a fissure, it wouldn't be so heavy then suddenly stop??

Obviously going to GP but wondered if anyone can either reassure me or possibly give an alternative reason? I'm trying not to Google. On own with DC so don't really have anyone to bounce this off.
wine

Crushcuz Sat 11-Aug-18 16:54:48

I had one after DC was born. It felt like I was passing a shard of glass when I went for a poo! Mine took over a year to heal, and (thankfully) now only bleeds a tiny bit every few months, if that. When it was bad, the blood in the toilet bowl mixed with the water and it could often look very alarming and a seemed like a lot more blood than what was actually there iygwim.

Are you passing blood all the time or only when you go to the loo?

Glad it's stopped though. Try not to worry.

user1471530109 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:57:36

There was definitely as much blood as my period (and they are heavy!). I did wear a pad as I was anxious but none appeared on it iyswim.

I am not experiencing pain. I know the pain you mean because I had one after the birth of my eldest DC.

I wish it was Monday tomorrow!

MissTulipan Sat 11-Aug-18 17:04:15

I have sadly become quite a bum problem expert! Just had Botox for chronic fissure.

You may have internal piles if bleeding quite a bit. These may not hurt. If the fissure is quite new then it will be sore on pooong and after. Hope you get help from GP

Babaroll Sat 11-Aug-18 22:01:54

I've been having exactly the same symptoms for the last few weeks. No real discomfort but bright red blood in the toilet bowl. I went to the GP on Thursday and saw a consultant on Friday (not in UK). I'm having a colonoscopy in a few weeks. I do have a history of inflammatory bowel disease but no symptoms of that recurring. The consultant said possible internal haemorrhoids or a fissure or a recurrence of IBD.

TryItAndDieFatLass Sat 11-Aug-18 22:32:08

I lose quite a lot of blood, suggested botox but Im not keen. Its only a problem if I get constipated (which happened with a new medication for another issue recently). I use Proctosedyl for soothing relief

user1471530109 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:38:38

Thank you both! I'm finally back in the UK.

I find it really odd that there isn't even a teeny bit of blood after having so so much yesterday? That's almost freaking me out more than the actual original bleed.

I will be definitely seeking an appt on monday. I expect I'll be sent for a colonoscopy which is freaking me out as exh had an endoscopy and said it was horrendous

I think I'm finding the lack of anyone in RL to talk to about this. It's made me realise how bloody alone I am!

Babaroll I definitely have at least IBS. I think it may be gluten related. Which fits with type 1 diabetes. But I've not found a GP who has been interested enough to investigate. I always leave feeling like a hypochondriac. Even after I mentioned blood 10 years ago. Nowhere near what I experienced last week though.

I hope all your tests are clear and you get a nice simple diagnosis and treatment flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: