Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

2 year old knocked out

(13 Posts)
WellErrr Fri 10-Aug-18 07:25:30

My two year old fell the other day and was knocked out. Second time it's happened now, although they fall and hit head almost every day.

DC has no balance and poor coordination. Our usual doctor says 'all children fall' but not to this degree they don't.

Has anyone else had experience of this?

IJustHadToNameChange Fri 10-Aug-18 07:26:45

Has he been to the hospital?

Iamnotacerealkiller Fri 10-Aug-18 07:30:46

My husband fell a lot as a child turned out to be very very long sighted. Took his mum ages to actually get it confirmed cos the doctors said the same or their 'just clumsy' nope ge literally couldn't see!!

WellErrr Fri 10-Aug-18 07:44:44

Yes took to hospital. They recommended an MRI but as a routine outpatient. Not my hospital though so I suppose I'll have to go back and argue with local hosp sad

Thecomfortador Fri 10-Aug-18 07:50:56

My 2 year old falls but he scrapes his knee, he doesn't bump his head or get knocked out. Have you managed to film any of the times or write down exactly what happens? Usually my ds is just running too fast or being silly / not looking properly. Might be helpful to doctors if they can see what happens to determine whether or not they are standard toddler accidents?

FuckingHateRain Fri 10-Aug-18 07:52:20

Check his hearing it could impact balance

Ihavenoideaatall Fri 10-Aug-18 07:55:45

Does he go unconcious straight away, or take a breath or cry first?

bluerunningshoes Fri 10-Aug-18 08:00:19

yes to hearing and sight test.

it does not sound normal.
falling - yes.
legs covered in bruises from knee to ankle - yes
occassional bump to head - yes

bump so hard to make dc unconcious - only as a very unfortunate one off

wonkylegs Fri 10-Aug-18 08:17:26

That's unusual I would go to GP and strongly word your concerns.
I have a 2yo who this morning took a rather spectacular tumble that would have seriously injured an adult or older child but he bounced back up with a few tears. (DH is a dr and checked him over)
I took longer to recover from my horror of it happening than he did from the fall.

I have 2 adventurous kids who have taken many a spectacular tumble doing daft things but bar the odd graze or bruise they have been fine.

To have been knocked out twice by the age of 2, I would be concerned & investigating further. It may be nothing (fingers crossed) and just bad luck but I'd want anything else ruled out.

WellErrr Sat 11-Aug-18 22:00:36

Does he go unconcious straight away, or take a breath or cry first?

Takes a breath and cries first. I'll definitely be chasing the GP.

twoheaped Sat 11-Aug-18 22:03:36

Have you looked at RAS (reflex anoxic syncope) it could be that rather than unconsciousness.
Pain or loud noises can trigger it.

Ihavenoideaatall Sat 11-Aug-18 22:19:34

That's what i was thinking. My dd and one of my sons used to do this when they were younger. Also called breath holding spells I think.

PerspicaciaTick Sat 11-Aug-18 22:23:08

My DS used to pass out when he hurt himself, he was about two too. He grew out of it over about 6 months but in that time we had multiple A&E visits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: