Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Would you ever hand in your notice without something else to go to? Have you?

(73 Posts)
ShirleyPhallus Thu 09-Aug-18 11:52:40

At the end of my tether with work. Bored, demotivated, anxious and really not enjoying it.

Been there for years now and as senior as I can be. I’m on a 6 month notice period so realistically not going anywhere straight away but am desperate to hand in my notice.

Is it stupid to do without having something else to go to? I am leaning towards no because of the length of my notice, plus I have savings so could do a few months unemployed after if I needed to (not sure I’d want to)

Is it stupid or ballsy?

Welshcake77 Thu 09-Aug-18 12:03:45

I did it in my first job after uni as I felt like I was about to have a breakdown - my boss was horrendous...I couldn’t take it any longer so resigned then contacted a few agencies and managed to get a job lined up within two months (had a three month notice period).

With your long notice period I would talk to some recruiters to get a feel for your market then resign and start actively looking (unless they say the market is not moving at all or something!)

Good luck!

Cauliflowersqueeze Thu 09-Aug-18 12:07:20

I was in a job that I didn’t like (well I liked the job but not the new boss). I kept thinking how I would leave but didn’t do anything about it. Then one day there was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I went to the mirror and I actually said out loud “I promise you, you will not be there next year. I promise.” Then I looked for a new job and left.

I wouldn’t leave with nothing to go to. But I would go for a pay drop. Happiness is more important.

whatamigoingtodo87 Thu 09-Aug-18 12:18:16

I will be handing my notice in instead of returning to my job after maternity leave. I hate it, my manager is a nightmare and after 16yrs working in education enough is enough and it's time for a change. I have to give 3 months notice so still need to go back for a short time but it's exciting.

greathat Thu 09-Aug-18 12:23:35

I didn't and I wish I had because after my notice date had passed a whole load of jobs came up I couldn't apply for. I got out the next available date though and had a job to go to then. In reality I should have left the first job years previously before it partially destroyed me

Scribblegirl Thu 09-Aug-18 12:26:12

I don't think it's uncommon when you've got a 6 month notice period (mine is 3 months and I know others on my grade who have handed in with nothing to go to but picked something up before leaving).

Is there any chance you'd be put on gardening leave?

ShirleyPhallus Thu 09-Aug-18 12:27:03

greathat

What do you mean, do you mean that because your notice period was 3 months the roles wanted you to start before then so you couldn’t apply?

BobbinThreadbare123 Thu 09-Aug-18 12:33:02

I've done it. It was one of the only ways to escape education for a start. It was bloody liberating but I was lucky to have DH's support. I did have about 6 mo wages in savings though. Took me 6 weeks to secure another job after walking out. Did a bit of freelance stuff to tide me over before starting the new role. I am very glad to have done it.

picklepost Thu 09-Aug-18 12:34:10

Yes and I'm so glad I did. Took a holiday then started job hunting very carefully, no compromises! Got a fantastic job and never looked back.

GeoGirl94 Thu 09-Aug-18 12:46:25

I did do this at the end of last summer- I'd had enough of being treated terribly, despite having been loyal to the company for 5 years- i handed in my notice, and walked at the end of the summer. i then had to survive on agency work for around 4 months while desperatly trying to find another job- which was hard, and sometimes slightly stressful, but ultimately lead me to be in a good job, which i got at the end of january. I am now going back to university to do a masters which means in a couple of years, i can hopefully be in a position to actually follow what i want to do! I'd say, hand in the notice, you then have 6 months to find something else anyway- and you said you have a small cushion of savings to fall back on- either way- do what will make you feel best- ✨

ShirleyPhallus Thu 09-Aug-18 12:52:25

Oh gosh, you’re all making me even itchier to just hand it in!!

I have sorted my CV and have a call with a recruiter at lunchtime so will see how the land lies

I’m due my period this week and always a bit hormonal / anxious anyway so DP politely reminded me not to do anything I might regret grin

GreenTulips Thu 09-Aug-18 12:52:42

I did! I had had enough of a terrible boss and awful atmosphere.

Was leaving at 4pm and had a call at 3:15 to start a temp position on the Monday - 5 week contract

I then secured a permanent job to start after the 5 weeks

Landed in my lap - these things happen!

Go for it, you will find work of you want to work.

Start talking to other companies and send your CV out, speak to recruitment people aswell

Good luck

tectonicplates Thu 09-Aug-18 12:54:47

The "professional" advice is you should never do this.

The mental health advice is that you definitely should.

gamerchick Thu 09-Aug-18 12:58:28

Yep, job I adored and still miss. Tuped over to this company with a total headcase at the helm. I worked for her for 8 hours and quit.

Life is far too short to put up with that shit angry took a month to get another job. But a timeout did the world of good.

If you can afford it then go for it IMO. It's good to have something to go to though, lessons anxiety in the OH.

Ragwort Thu 09-Aug-18 13:02:55

Yes, I've done it and so has my DH - but it did help that we had substantial savings behind us, no children and could realistically live for a few months without income - also we both had fairly transferable skills.

delphguelph Thu 09-Aug-18 13:05:11

A six month notice period? Wowser.

TheThirdOfHerName Thu 09-Aug-18 13:09:04

I did this two years ago. I worked out that I could afford to be without work for six months. Luckily found a job I love within three months. No regrets.

AlReef Thu 09-Aug-18 13:12:01

I handed in my notice after finding out my peers earned more than me. I knew they couldn't risk losing me as I was working on massive projects for them. In the end, they did what I knew they would do and offer me more money which I accepted. I still resent the company for making me go to these lengths instead of paying me for what I was worth in the first place.

Thatsfuckingshit Thu 09-Aug-18 13:12:34

I did it.

But a months notice. So wasn't working for most of this summer. It was harder to find a position but I am back at work on Monday and excited.

Money is tight this month and it's a good job I found something when I did. Not sure I would do it again unless I had a lot more money behind me and could comfortably do it.

If I had to give 6 months notice I would do it. I am assuming they will probably put you on gardening leave.

ShirleyPhallus Thu 09-Aug-18 13:13:27

A six month notice period?

Irritatingly yes. I’m sort of director level but basically not quite senior enough to have that length of notice.

A few years ago a few senior people resigned all at the same time and the way it played out was that they all left very quickly thanks to a combo of historic short notice periods (ie being promoted and the paperwork not catching up) and holiday dates left the company exposed. So they reviewed everyone’s notice periods and gave us all stupid long ones.

City job where it seems to be the norm!

JumblieGirl Thu 09-Aug-18 13:13:59

Teacher, I’ve done it three times for various reasons and it was very liberating. But if you have a portable skill where it’s easy to temp, then it’s much less scary. That, or a wealthy spouse!

ShotsFired Thu 09-Aug-18 13:21:39

I wouldn’t leave with nothing to go to. But I would go for a pay drop

This. I don't think I could voluntarily leave a job without anything else lined up. I have such a fear of insecurity (as in, financial instability-type insecurity) that I need to know I have a source of income. I do live in a constant state of nervousness about this, which is silly as I am in a more financially fortunate position than a lot of people will ever be, and I should be more grateful.

I would however consider all options and know my absolute worst case budget numbers. And if that means working night shifts stacking shelves, cos it paid more than day shifts; or doing office work with a bar job in the evenings, so be it - that sort of thing.

DelurkingAJ Thu 09-Aug-18 13:23:07

Depends on the finances. We’ve set up life so we can manage on either of our salaries (the person not working would be on the hook for childcare and we wouldn’t get nice holidays or put much in savings but could do it). And knowing we can is very liberating. We also have transferable skills so know we could temp.

Everstrong Thu 09-Aug-18 13:27:23

I have, resigned from a well paid post as there were unsafe practices going on and management weren’t going to do anything about it. The stress was wrecking me mentally so I handed my notice in.

I had to do 3 months notice so had a decent amount of time to find a job. As it was, a couple of weeks later an amazing job was advertised which I applied for and got. Handing my notice in to the old job made me feel confident and empowered as I knew I was getting out of there.

VodkaLimeSoda27 Thu 09-Aug-18 14:07:00

I did, as my mental health was suffering to the point that I was fantasising about running away and not sleeping without drinking a bottle of wine every night. I was out of work for 4 months and financially it was difficult, but it was necessary for my health to get back on track.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: