Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Newborn has raised white blood cells

(37 Posts)
Cantstopworryingaboutit Wed 08-Aug-18 18:29:12

Has anyone else experienced this?

She's 10 days old and following a lumber puncture today her white blood cells are raised.

She's been started on antibiotics, but I'm so worried.

CoperCabana Wed 08-Aug-18 18:35:24

Oh goodness. I cannot help on your question but didn’t want to not reply. Poor you and baby? What prompted the lumber puncture?

Gierg Wed 08-Aug-18 18:36:21

Oh you poor thing... virtual hand hold! Such small babies being poorly is so hard

My wee boy had this when he was about 13 days old and it was very scary but they started on antibiotics quickly and he was on the mend very soon!

He had a UTI though so never had a lumbar puncture admittedly.

He's a year now and you'd never know he was so poorly!

Hope your wee one is better soon and you get some rest.

Rosarollo Wed 08-Aug-18 18:36:40

So does that mean her body is fighting an infection somewhere? Group B? Why the lumbar puncture. brew xx

Cantstopworryingaboutit Wed 08-Aug-18 18:37:44

She woke this morning struggling to breath, and her lips turned blue. We were blue lighted in to hospital, and she's had lots of bloods etc done, which hasn't highlighted anything. The consultant said to do a lumber puncture too as an extra precaution, and results showed high which count and definate infection sad

Cantstopworryingaboutit Wed 08-Aug-18 18:38:39

*white count

Witchend Wed 08-Aug-18 18:41:30

Ds had that at 10 weeks. He was blood tested because his legs suddenly developed a non-fading rash. Looked like he'd been beaten with a stick. Luckily I was with a GP friend who was able to check him over then and there, and then referred him for a blood test immediately.

He wasn't very ill with it though.

Hope your little one gets better quickly.

SBDB Wed 08-Aug-18 19:29:43

My little boy had this when he was 3 days old. He spent 5 days in special care baby unit having antibiotics through a cannula in his hand. He was fine and still is now. It is completely terrifying so hand holding xxx

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 08-Aug-18 19:30:35

DS was born with very high infection markers in his blood. We spent 10 days in hospital whilst he had IV antibiotics (I also had 48 hours worth of IV antibiotics followed by 5 days of oral). He has been absolutely fine since with no health or developmental issues so far (he is now 2). I hope your DD is better very soon.

Cantstopworryingaboutit Wed 08-Aug-18 19:34:33

Those that have experienced it with their little ones, what was the diagnosis? Or was it never confirmed?

Pinkyponkcustard Wed 08-Aug-18 19:43:25

Yes my little one had it and I was diagnosed with a womb infection. We both had antibiotics. My ds had the lumbar puncture but the result was inconclusive so they treated him for sepsis and gave him the biggest lot of antibiotics. He had 10 days by IV. We took him home and came back twice a day for his drugs.

He’s a happy, healthy, boisterous little toddler now but we never found out what it was.

Hand hold and hugs from me xx

SBDB Wed 08-Aug-18 19:53:48

We never got a diagnosis as they grew cultures from the lumbar puncture but they were only looking for meningitis. They said they were treating him for sepsis but the markers were only medium high so they weren’t convinced it was proper sepsis if that makes sense. I found it hard at first to not know exactly what he had but learnt to accept that he was getting better and therefore it was ok.

Sunshinegirl82 Wed 08-Aug-18 20:36:35

No formal diagnosis, none of the cultures grew anything that they could identify. Dr said 10 days of the two antibiotics he was on would kill most things and what was important was that infection markers were coming down (which they were).

Cantstopworryingaboutit Wed 08-Aug-18 21:18:01

Thank you, that's reassuring.

Pinkyponkcustard Thu 09-Aug-18 10:26:55

How’s your little one today op?

Cantstopworryingaboutit Thu 09-Aug-18 10:44:45

She had another fit this morning, I'm so worried and scared sad

Rosarollo Thu 09-Aug-18 11:16:44

Goodness me. How worrying. i am thinking of you. I really hope everything works out flowers. Xxx

Pinkyponkcustard Thu 09-Aug-18 12:48:10

I’m thinking of you too my love, if she’s in hospital she’s in the best place.

Lots of love and strength xx

lizzybennett1926 Thu 09-Aug-18 12:54:03

How terrifying for you. Am here for a virtual handhold.
How is she now?
My ds1 had a lumber puncture as a preemie, it was inconclusive but everything else pointed to Sepsis so that is what he was treated for. He was treated with high dose anti biotics and fully recovered.
You're in the best place.

concretesieve Thu 09-Aug-18 12:55:30

Thinking of you, too flowers

Rosemary46 Thu 09-Aug-18 13:04:33

My daughter had something similar when she was a year old. Raised huge cell count, lumbar punctures, I was terrified.

It was a bacterial infection that was in the CS fluid ( hope Ive got that right ) . She was in hospital in IV antibiotics for 10 days.

They said they hoped they had caught it in time and hopefully she wouldn’t Have brain damage 😱.

That was over 20 years ago and she’s junior doctor now.

There are lots of us here who have been through this, OP and our children are all fine now. We have a wonderful NHS and I’m sure everyone will be doing their best for your baby.

flowers

lizzybennett1926 Fri 10-Aug-18 13:54:51

Thinking of you

Gierg Sat 11-Aug-18 08:10:37

Oh OP, That must be so frightening.

So much love to you both. I hope your little one gets better soon.

thanks

mommybear1 Sat 11-Aug-18 08:17:18

Thinking of you thanks

Crunchymum Sat 11-Aug-18 08:40:33

Gosh OP, how awful for you.

My 3rd baby was a neonate (from birth and different reasons) but it's such a horrible time.

Baby being in hospital means she will be continually monitored, so she truly is in the best place.

Hope she has improved and is on the road to recovery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: