Talk

Advanced search

Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Bonkers thread - Airforce blue cloth covered school hymn book - hymn 399

(181 Posts)
BasiliskStare Wed 08-Aug-18 15:19:06

I was rather prosaically stacking the dishwasher earlier and suddenly "When a knight won his spurs in the stories of old" popped into my head.

For context DS has just graduated and for some reason the lines " and let me set free with the sword of my youth , from the castle of darkness the power of the truth "

This is not a religious thing , not at all. It was just that Ds ( who is 21 now) just seems so much more certain about what he wants to do than I ever did and it is a joy to see. BTW I am not sure he is going to set free the truth but the optimism of those lines resonates with me , in a way when I used to sing it it school assembly ( my favourite hymn ) never did .

There you go - warned you it was bonkers grin

GallicosCats Wed 08-Aug-18 15:56:55

Oh blimey I remember the hymn book I think - not sure the numbering's the same though. Love the hymn; I'd probably cry if I heard it now, specially the 'sword of my youth' bit.

I remember one that starts 'Lord dismiss us with thy blessing'. It really brings back that end-of-the-year start of summer feeling for me and the second verse 'Let thy father-hand be shielding/All who here shall meet no more' was a real tearjerker for the Upper Five. My favourite of all is 'For all the saints', done on a major awards assembly just before the run-up to Christmas.

My DCs don't really do hymns, more's the pity (going to state schools where they just aren't part of the culture). So I just hum the tunes like a mad old bat round the house. grin

TinselAngel Wed 08-Aug-18 16:03:22

I love this hymn. Our school hymn books were orange plastic covers though.

abitoflight Wed 08-Aug-18 16:04:33

It was number 66 in my primary school hymn book
Green and yellow plastic cover
I loved that song too smile

NicoAndTheNiners Wed 08-Aug-18 16:07:29

We had that same hymn book and I loved that hymn.

We had daily assemblies and as well as a lecture by one of the house masters or head or deputy we got to belt out a couple of hymns. Schools don’t do this anymore do they? Shame!

redexpat Wed 08-Aug-18 16:08:17

Oh remember the Allan Ahlberg version in Please Mrs Butler?

sonlypuppyfat Wed 08-Aug-18 16:12:07

That's my family hymn, I used to sing it as a lullaby to my babies

onemouseplace Wed 08-Aug-18 16:17:40

I cannot for the life of me remember what our school hymn book was - I'm pretty sure it was dark blue.

I went on to be a choral scholar, so my hymn memories get a bit muddled from those days, but I do remember our school hymn was "To be a pilgrim" and I have really fond memories of singing the line 'Then fancies flyaway, I'll fear not what men say' really over enunciating the "not what" bit.

DiabolicalMess Wed 08-Aug-18 16:25:59

This one? When a Knight was one of my faves!!!

BasiliskStare Wed 08-Aug-18 17:38:19

Oh - To be a pilgrim - I remember that & when fancies fly away

Thank you all - it makes me feel a little less mad ( i.e. wandering round the house singing school hymns to myself )

I also like Oh brother man fold to thy heart thy brother , where pity dwells etc etc

No idea why these hymns popped into my head today , they just did.

Ha ha

Sammysquiz Wed 08-Aug-18 17:43:37

We had this one back in the 80s. On our birthdays we could choose which hymn was sung at assembly that day & ‘when a knight won his spurs’ was always the “cool” choice grin

Housewife2010 Wed 08-Aug-18 18:22:08

Our school hymn book had Dear Lord & Father of Mankind at 481 and To Be a Pilgrim at 515. I Ioved the alternative ancient words to To Be a Pilgrim " Hobgoblin no foul Fiend shall daunt thy spirit".

NalderAndCollier Wed 08-Aug-18 18:30:31

Mine fell to pieces in the 5th form. My mate Tony gave me his when he left at 16. Still have it. Haven't seen Tony in over 40 years.

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool Wed 08-Aug-18 18:42:17

I saw hymn 399 in the OP and immediately thought of When A Knight Won His Spurs. I left school in 1989 - funny how these things stay with you.

BalloonSlayer Wed 08-Aug-18 18:42:34

I always sing it when I have lost my phone charger

"No charger have I and no sword by my side
Yet still to adventure and battle I ride"

onemouseplace Wed 08-Aug-18 18:42:49

We sang the alternative words as well for To Be a Pilgrim Housewife2010.

I'm getting really annoyed now, I've had a good google and I can't find which hymn book we had at all! It was small and dark blue I think, and would have been 1989 or so and I was at a GPDST school if that makes any difference.

almondsareforevermore Wed 08-Aug-18 18:44:11

I sang a hymn every morning at school for thirteen years. I know hundreds. I loved the beautiful words, inspiring ideas, nobility.
What a lot children miss now, even if they go to church, with banal songs like nursery rhymes which neither rhyme nor scan.

amicissimma Wed 08-Aug-18 18:49:50

I have 'Songs of Praise', which has an airforce blue cloth cover. But 'When a Knight Won his Spurs' is 377 in mine.

481 is 'Dear Lord and Father' and 515 is 'He Who Would Valiant Be' (To be a Pilgrim', however.

<Disappears in a cloud of nostalgia>

SlightAggrandising Wed 08-Aug-18 18:55:13

This thread is making me very misty eyed.

@DiabolicalMess haven't seen that cover for decades! I'm sure we had that one and another one... hmmm. Memories

onemouseplace Wed 08-Aug-18 18:55:48

Ah yes, I remember Songs of Praise - we had that at home as it was my DF's from school in the early 60s (actually, I have a feeling it might even have been a prize giving book as it was in really good condition).

TheThirdOfHerName Wed 08-Aug-18 18:59:02

We had the blue cloth covered hymn book at secondary school.

I also sang in a church choir from age 8-18 (English Hymnal -green cover). As well as evensong and Sunday communion, we regularly sang at people's weddings.

Then, like a PP, I was a choral scholar at university, with two sung services each week plus occasional weddings, funerals and civic services.

I've been singing in the worship band at a modern Anglican church for the past eight years.

I must know a couple of hundred C of E hymns. I often get them as earworms and sometimes wake up with a random one in my head.

DuggeesWoggle Wed 08-Aug-18 19:02:39

Ahhh Come and Praise!! Including such gems as 'Autumn Days' and 'The Ink Is Black'. And When a Knight Won His Spurs of course.

The sound of primary school assemblies for me!

MissLingoss Wed 08-Aug-18 19:19:26

I have 'Songs of Praise', which has an airforce blue cloth cover. But 'When a Knight Won his Spurs' is 377 in mine.

481 is 'Dear Lord and Father' and 515 is 'He Who Would Valiant Be' (To be a Pilgrim', however.

I have that one.

'Lord dismiss us' is no.333. And I see that on my last day at school, the last time I sang it in assembly, I wrote a note, with the date.

'Eternal Father, strong to save' is 336.

I once saw a televised service at which 'Guide me oh thou Great Redeemer' was sung, but it was the wrong tune! How can Bread of Heaven be sung to anything but Cwm Rhondda??

TinselAngel Wed 08-Aug-18 19:23:08

Yes! That picture down thread is the orange book we had!

Iwantacampervan Wed 08-Aug-18 19:29:13

amicissimma & MissLingoss
My old school hymn book too - I found it recently in a box of books. We didn't sign shirts when we left - we signed the hymn book against our favourite hymn. I am ashamed to say that I don't remember some of the girls who had signed mine but it was 36 years ago!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: