Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Are these legs too fat.

(88 Posts)
Spinnywinny Wed 08-Aug-18 09:43:05

This is my dd 6 months old.

Everyone always comments on her legs and how fat they are and it’s getting to me. For example someone said yesterday ‘bloody hell how much are you feeding her?’

For reference she has less than the average amount of formula and never finishes a bottle.

She also only started weaning last week and has so far only had fruit, veg and Weetabix. Am I doing something wrong?

sadrobot Wed 08-Aug-18 09:44:24

This is such a bizarre post wtf

Have you never seen a baby before OP? confused

Spinnywinny Wed 08-Aug-18 09:46:16

Erm yes I have actually. I am just starting to doubt myself as people keep going on about it. Well done for making me feel even more shit though!

ScrambledMeg Wed 08-Aug-18 09:47:18

They're fine and your acquaintances are being rude. My son's legs and arms and face were MUCH chubbier than this and he is now a very lean and healthy young man.

Aaronburrsumbrellawasstolen Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:02

Your baby is fine. Ignore idiots with their stupid commentssmile

pleasegotowork Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:10

My ds was just the same OP. I loved his little rolls of fat on his legs. Once they start crawling around and then walking, it all comes off. I was alwayes glad of his 'extra padding' whenever he was sick and off his food cos he had some reserves on him.

@sadrobot There's really no need to be so nasty.

ALemonyPea Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:17

They’re gorgeous, could just squeeze them. Love thighs like that on babies.

I wouldn’t worry abut something like this op, once babies are mobile they tend to lose the chubby thighs.

ohgodnotyouagain Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:24

They're fine smile

I do love a chunky baby! When my DC was born they were quite slim and my husband and used to say that he couldn't wait until they fattened up and had 'ruffles' grin

MrsMotherHen Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:28

tell them to sod off your baby looks fine babies have little chubby legs. You can not over feed a baby its impossible they would just throw it back up.

dangerrabbit Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:50

No, and it’s seen as normal/desirable for babies to be chubby so your friends probably think they are complimenting you

NoelHeadbands Wed 08-Aug-18 09:48:58

Speak to your HV with any concerns you have- it’s probably not the best idea to post pictures of her online for randomers to pass judgement on.

pleasegotowork Wed 08-Aug-18 09:49:15

Pso My pudding baby is now a 6 foot lean 17 year old.

IchFliegeNach Wed 08-Aug-18 09:49:58

They look fine - gorgeous in fact! We love the fact that babies are chubby: that's why everyone comments! Enjoy squishing those legs and pretending to eat them and all the crazy things we do with adorable babies because very soon they will be like two little sticks running around and you'all wonder where your baby went!

CluedoAddict Wed 08-Aug-18 09:56:17

Just ignore them. My Nan calls them trolley poles not sure why. They are so cute.

Ohforfoxssake2 Wed 08-Aug-18 09:57:20

Babies can’t be ‘too fat’.

Don’t give it a second thought.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 08-Aug-18 09:57:44

I want to squish them. Totally normal.

Ohforfoxssake2 Wed 08-Aug-18 10:00:35

And please don’t start thinking about reducing her food, or that what you are doing is ‘wrong’.

Becoming a mother for the first time (I’m assuming this is your first?) is full of self-doubt and anxiety. Have a chat to your HV or GP for Some reassurance, although it seems to me that you’re doing just fine.

KnittingSister Wed 08-Aug-18 10:00:59

A beautiful baby, well done, you're doing a great job.

ThatWasWayHarshTai Wed 08-Aug-18 10:02:00

They are lovely squishy baby legs! Totally normal and cute. DS1 had the fattest roly poly legs ever but when he started walking they thinned right out and now they are like spindly twigs grin

Whichoneisbest Wed 08-Aug-18 10:03:14

I could have written this post OP! Except my DD’s legs are even bigger grin

We get loads of comments too, people just don’t think and it does upset me too. My DD is ebf and only started a bit of solids a couple of weeks ago so I really don’t think she’s over eating - they’re just healthy girls!

KlutzyDraconequus Wed 08-Aug-18 10:03:34

They look perfect to me.
I miss when my DD was small and babyish with squeezable little legs and chubby little hands and n'awwww..

Now she's five she doesn't like being squeezed so much. sad

JuneOsbourne Wed 08-Aug-18 10:04:02

You can not over feed a baby its impossible they would just throw it back up. Actually that's not true. It is indeed possible to overfeed a formula fed baby (less so breastfed).

HOWEVER, your baby looks absolutely fine OP. Even the skinny minis are at their chunkiest at this stage, right before they get moving. Then it all just seems to melt off. This is just the start of strangers thinking they have some right to an opinion on how you are raising your child. Time to perfect your "it's really none of your business" face. wink

FishFingerInjury Wed 08-Aug-18 10:04:06

I wish I could post a picture of my husband, he was the hugest baby I’ve ever seen. So chubby and the pictures are so funny. He’s now tall and so slim. Our 4 DC have followed suit and have been chunky babies and toddlers and then stretched into slim children.

Enjoy the chubby rolls, they’ll soon be gone smile

SoyDora Wed 08-Aug-18 10:04:58

DD2 had legs just like that. She’s slimmed down now she’s 3!
I’m always surprised that people don’t just think ‘oh don’t be so ridiculous’ when people say things like this to them. People say ridiculous things. Ignore them.

fussychica Wed 08-Aug-18 10:05:47

Totally normal. My chubby legged lad is another 6' slim adult.
Enjoy your baby, ignore idiots.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: