Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Early labour or stomach bug??

(34 Posts)
tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 08:18:43

Apologies in advance for TMI in this post!!
38 weeks pregnant today with second DC.
Went to bed last night feeling a bit nauseous, not all that unusual as I get a bit nauseous when I'm very tired. Woke in the early hours feeling very uncomfortable all over my stomach, felt like trapped wind, and when I moved or got up to go to the toilet it would dislodge some unpleasant tasting burps!
For the past hour I've been having proper diarrhoea, about five episodes.
Tummy still feels sore generally all over. Nothing contraction like or cramping. Upper tummy is very gurgly.
Burps taste like eggs which a quick google says sounds like a D&V bug.
I'm on hyper alert for early labour as all of our family are very far away and we haven't been able to put in place any concrete childcare plans until a few days before my actual due date!
Did any one else have an experience like this and it was early labour, or does it sound more like a bug?

GummyGoddess Wed 08-Aug-18 08:26:09

For dc1 that was the start of labour for me. About 4 hours later my waters broke, 20 hours after that dc1 was here.

Definitely be alert for labour as it's your second, it could be unpredictably fast. Dc2 was delivered by DH as midwife didn't get here in time (all fine).

At least if this is the start of labour you probably won't poop during!

Thegirlinthefireplace Wed 08-Aug-18 08:29:54

With my first I had terrible diarrhoea in the morning, waters broke at 5 and baby born by 10 so I think it was related in that case.

Didn't follow the same way with my second though.

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 08:37:31

Argh I'm scared now!!! I only have a half packed hospital bag as well!!! I guess I should get that sorted just in case confused

CakeNinja Wed 08-Aug-18 08:59:15

Sounds like your body is clearing itself out in preparation for labour.
Although I think I remember this happening with my second and labour still not starting for a while.
My first and third I definitely had what could be described as a dodgy tummy a couple of days before they were born though!
Good luck. flowers

scrivette Wed 08-Aug-18 09:04:31

I had a funny tummy too, I was convinced that I had an upset stomach from the BBQ I had been too until my waters broke!

Time to get packing, good luck!

Bowlofbabelfish Wed 08-Aug-18 09:06:50

This happened to me a couple of days ago - still pregnant...

... but yes it could be early labour so be prepared smile

QueenDoria Wed 08-Aug-18 09:11:43

Good luck! Keep us posted!

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 10:38:18

Ugh this is miserable! Tried to sleep but woke just in time to run to the loo! Things have got pretty, ahem, explosive!
My stomach is extreeeemely gurgly when I move. Just eaten some toast as was starving, we'll see how that goes... will pack that hospital bag when I get some energy back just in case!!!
Thank god DD is in nursery today as I could not be entertaining right now! I'm hoping if it's not labour it'll be gone by tomorrow when she's at home...

QueenDoria Wed 08-Aug-18 10:57:30

It's early labour. Rest up.

CakeNinja Wed 08-Aug-18 15:24:46

But it could also not be early labour! I mean, it’s a guessing game really, none of us actually know!

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 20:00:25

Just an update if anyone is reading! Spent all afternoon asleep. No more diarrhoea since waking around 4 but feeling nauseous, tired, tummy generally sore all over, have tried to eat but no appetite. Some Braxton Hicks but don't think particularly any more than usual. I'm really hoping this isn't the start of labour as I have no energy whatsoever and feel like crap!!! sad

scrivette Wed 08-Aug-18 20:12:57

Oh no, hope you feel better soon. (Although that's what my labour felt like!!)

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 08-Aug-18 20:14:18

take it easy op

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 20:27:27

My last labour was so relaxed and I was feeling so healthy at the time, my head can't conceive of one any other way! 😂

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 20:28:08

Still haven't finished packing my hospital bag, just haven't had the energy confused

Tiggy78 Wed 08-Aug-18 20:30:35

Going too against the grain here and say it’s a tummy bug. It’s the eggy burps - that’s always a sign of a bug in this house. If it was early labour then I think it would just be a straightforward runny tummy.

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 20:42:12

Hopefully you're right Tiggy and I'll be back to normal tomorrow! I very rarely get tummy bugs, even when my toddler has them, but pregnancy lowers our immunity I guess! I did go to a bbq at the weekend as well but don't want to text the hosts to see if anybody else was ill as they're fairly new and I don't want to risk offending them!! 🙈

Pastaagain78 Wed 08-Aug-18 21:28:34

How are you feeling now?

tumtitum Wed 08-Aug-18 21:30:02

The shits are back! 😭

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 08-Aug-18 21:32:17

i think early signs for labour

get that bag packed,lol

Passthecake30 Wed 08-Aug-18 21:37:21

I had an upset stomach the day before I gave birth. Noneggy burps though...
The midwife asked when I lost my waters... I said that I hadn't yet, so she surmised I must've lost them down the loo in my one of many trips blush

flopsyrabbit1 Wed 08-Aug-18 22:16:21

Just a thought but the only time i had eggy burps was when i had a stomach ulcer,that can be a first sign and my tummy wasnt good,that was the lead up to being very sick,dont know if thats a thing you want to think about but that was my experience

SpongeBobGrannyPants Wed 08-Aug-18 22:25:29

I think early labour too. With my second I had 2-3 days of discomfort and "tummy upsets" and then she was born very quickly after contractions properly kicked in! 38 weeks is term so not unusual for things to be starting. I'd definitely get the bag packed! Good luck OP!

Pastaagain78 Wed 08-Aug-18 23:14:36

Poor you. Hang in there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: