Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

How much does a holiday abroad cost?

(90 Posts)
Moanslice Tue 07-Aug-18 17:26:59

A european package holiday? I have never been. Always opt for camping in the uk. But its alot of effort and not restful. I think i would like to take the kids on a package holiday next year. If its going to cost thousands then we cant go, but i have NO idea of what prices to expect. Would want half board or AI (not sure if price difference is loads? I dont drink alcohol, so is it even worth it?)
Requirements are;
Sun
Beach
Pool
Not gross

Any recommendations? TIA

Undies1990 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:31:58

Have a look on TUI website. We've just come back from a week in Cyprus (2 adults, 2 teens) £2,700 in total, half board, although we did only book it 10 days before we went so it might be cheaper to book well in advance. I would recommend TUI, although I have read some horror stories, but our experience was fantastic.

JuniperBeer Tue 07-Aug-18 17:32:56

How long is a piece of string?
The range is huge. Just look online!

wendz86 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:33:09

Would it be during school holidays ? Prices are likely to be a lot higher then . We paid around £700 Per person for Tenerife in Easter holidays all inclusive .

tulipbee Tue 07-Aug-18 17:36:08

Depends what you want and dates. Can you go outside school holidays. Look at easyJet holidays and jet2 for cheap holidays. We went to Eurocamp type holiday this year £1600 for a mobile home for 5 and £600 flights, but food at the camp was quite expensive even the supermarket for basics like bread and butter. Luckily I had taken some basics with me.

We have also done all inclusive for about £3000 for 4

It's easier to book your own flights with easyJet or other when they come out.

SuzanneVaguer Tue 07-Aug-18 17:37:13

Sardinia Forte Village in August is about £14k for a family of four... a half board apartment in Greece probably about £2.5-3k, but less if you go out of summer holidays.
There's a huge variation.

Moanslice Tue 07-Aug-18 17:37:47

It would be during school holidays. Probably Easter rather than summer?

Moanslice Tue 07-Aug-18 17:38:47

So £2-3k is the lower end of the scale?

SuzanneVaguer Tue 07-Aug-18 17:39:38

Menorca is lovely, and for four probably around £2k if you went in June,July if you chose a 3*
Monarch used to be good for Balearic islands, but they've folded.
Look at On The Beach, Last Minute.com or First Choice.

Ginorchoc Tue 07-Aug-18 17:39:42

That is too wide a criteria! Maybe narrow it down a bit or pop into a travel agents?

SuzanneVaguer Tue 07-Aug-18 17:41:29

If you go at Easter, you need to check the pool is heated!! Can be a huge shock if it's a coolish Easter.
Have you thought about Austria? Lots of ski resorts have pools/sun in summer, and your in the mountains rather than beach. Some are utterly gorgeous.

TheGoldenWolfFleece Tue 07-Aug-18 17:42:01

Somewhere not so popular like croatia might be cheaper.

longbar Tue 07-Aug-18 17:43:29

Where you’ve to fly from (eg London or Aberdeen) affects prices too

jetsetter87 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:44:23

We've booked up for a week All inclusive in Spain next year- family friendly 4* hotel in the May break and it was £2k for 3 of us

We do usually go away outside of school time while we still can but that holiday is with a group and children of mixed ages so need to go in school holidays

Also booked for Turkey next year all inclusive family centred hotel (Think holiday village type) this was £2.5k but being out of school holidays that was a massive discount as it's a 5*hotel

longbar Tue 07-Aug-18 17:44:36

At Easter you need to go a lot further for sun

jetsetter87 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:45:38

Bloody hell ignore the bold fail

That was supposed to say 4* etc

Greggers2017 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:46:35

You do not have to pay those prices. You can do it well cheaper if you cut out a tour operator.
We went Lanzarote at February half term. £200 for an apartment for 4, flights with Ryanair were £33 per person and transfers were £30. We were fully insured with our holiday insurance/
Went to lake Garda, Italy at May half term. £300 for a caravan, £26 per person return flights to Verona again Ryanair and then transfer was £40.
I have been Portugal for £800 for four at October half term. And once paid £750 for all four of is all inclusive in Majorca.
I use sunmaster, on the beach, ice lolly, and holiday pirates to book/
Also used eirocamp more than I can remember.
Yes with package holidays you get a rep bit the hotels always have English speaking staff and you can book excursions in the lobby or close by.
The accommodation may be basic but it's clean and my kids always have a whale of
A time.

Lauren83 Tue 07-Aug-18 17:46:37

We just paid £1k for a week all inclusive in menorca is September for 2 adults 1 baby, last month we paid £1.4k for a week self catering in Skiathos

Branleuse Tue 07-Aug-18 17:53:11

if youre going at easter, go as far south as you can. Id look at canary islands if you want to be able to swim etc. Other places you do have sunshine, but not necessarily swimming weather unless youre hardcore.
I do like going away that time of year as its less busy and its cheaper

Tw1nsetAndPearls Tue 07-Aug-18 17:55:45

Ours isn't a package holiday but we are on a resort in Spain with pools, entertainment, in a lodge self catered for 2 weeks. Plenty of beaches. Accomodation for 3 adults, 16 year old and toddler was £3.5K and flight another £1k. Spending money is on top

Tw1nsetAndPearls Tue 07-Aug-18 17:56:54

Croatia has got very expensive - I blame Game of Thrones

Moanslice Tue 07-Aug-18 18:50:04

greggers that is a more agreeable price range! I will start looking at your suggestions

suzanne we are pretty hardcore (see lifetime of uk camping holidays!) But i also like the sound of mountains and lakes...i hadnt thought of that

kaytee87 Tue 07-Aug-18 18:51:32

Our last foreign holiday in June, Cyprus for 2 weeks £2k holiday, £2k spends, our toddler was free so that was just for 2 adults.

Knowivedonewrong Tue 07-Aug-18 19:01:30

We went beginning of June to Majorca, two adults AI £1,105 for one week.

shelley0 Tue 07-Aug-18 19:04:07

We are just back from Tenerife last week, we booked through Jet2 and paid £2300 for 2 adults 2 children for two weeks.
We were half board so had to buy lunch and all drinks. We did a few trips and spent roughly £1300 while we were there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: