Talk

Advanced search

Sharing food with Saliva on

(6 Posts)
Hummingbird83 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:10:27

So... Sil gets a lot of cold sores...Is it OK to nicely ask her not to share her ice cream with my toddler? I'm sure she wouldn't anyway if she had an active one but I work in the dental field and I know some of us carry the herpes virus in our Saliva without getting coldsores...In addition, if someone is prone to decay or gum disease and shares Saliva with another who isn't this can cause problems for the recipient...

I'm just not at all keen on her sharing saliva laden food with others or utensils but not sure others will understand this let alone respect it?

Babdoc Tue 07-Aug-18 09:15:00

Absolutely agree! It’s the reason I never take communion when visiting churches in England- the whole congregation share one contaminated chalice of wine, leaving their saliva all over the rim. Thankfully in Scotland we have individual wine glasses delivered to our pew.
Surely as it’s your child, it’s your rules? Tell sil (or anyone else) that you don’t want them sharing saliva, either via food or mouth kissing.

Hummingbird83 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:50:58

Babdoc, thank you so much for the reply. I keep thinking I'm weird thinking it's not nice to exchange Saliva like that! What's the most tactful way to say it?

'thanks so much for thinking of her! But...'

Hummingbird83 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:52:23

I'm not entirely sure there is a nice way of saying it..!

Babdoc Tue 07-Aug-18 16:19:11

It’s not easy when you’re dealing with relatives who may take offence, I know. But surely your profession gives you the perfect cop out. Just smile sweetly and say you won’t gross them out with the facts about saliva, but due to your job, you would never let your kids share food or cutlery?

Hummingbird83 Tue 07-Aug-18 20:02:07

Babdoc, I officially love you. Thanks for the help xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »