Talk

Advanced search

Threads started in this topic after 9th November 2018 will no longer be removed after 90 days. A new topic called 90 Days Only can be found in the Other Stuff category of Talk.

Banjo Robinson Product Test

(94 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 18:14:45

I realise that anyone who isn't taking part in this product test is going to find the rest of my post very confusing! grin

Anyone else get selected for the Banjo Robinson "pen-pal" product test?

I can't find a thread about it yet, so thought I would start one. I had a search online and again, I can't find any information about it.

My ds absolutely loves it so far. He's 6, turning 7 this week but is still very "young" and totally believed it all and was so excited to post his return letter under the sofa.

He loved hearing about "cat mail" and how the letter was personalised and mentioned one of our cats.

The plan was almost foiled when I said "I met this cat called Banjo Robinson and told him all about you!"

He asked "What did he look like?" hmm

I definitely should have had a better back story prepared grin

Amummyatlast Mon 06-Aug-18 18:28:00

Aw, that's so sweet.

I've had the opposite unfortunately. Mine is 5, but is very aware that a lot of things are pretend, and her first was comment was 'it's not a real cat, is it'. She was intrigued by the map, but wasn't that interested in the letter to a fake cat. However I'll get DH to try again tomorrow.

SerenaVanDerWoodsen Mon 06-Aug-18 18:37:48

My DD7 was surprisingly accepting of the whole ‘been to lunch with a cat’ thing hmm. She also asked what the cat looked like tor, so had to mumble that he was a kind of browny/greyish/blacky-white type cat praying it wasn’t ginger and hoped for the best. So yes, agree a better backstory is needed!
However, she has embraced the whole thing. So much so that I didn’t realise she’d finished the letter and drawing and had ‘posted’ it shock. I manage to fob her off by pointing out it was the weekend and that perhaps cat mail doesn’t collect on Saturdays/Sundays. Again she was quite happy with this explanation and she’s looking forward to her next letter. I am a little worried about how gullible she is though!

Bryna Mon 06-Aug-18 18:39:40

Did your letters come correctly addressed? My DS has his correct first name but MY surname! Which took a little bit of explaining! He loved the letter, but was not in the mood to write back today, I’ll try again tomorrow.

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 18:39:47

@Amummyatlast

That's a shame! Hopefully your dh will be more convincing grin

I can't remember what the cut off age for the test was, but I can imagine a lot of older children especially being a bit hmm at the thought of this cat being able to write / speak.

I think the quality of the map was very good and all the little details like "stamps" were a nice touch.

I overheard my ds speaking to our cat. Things like "I had a letter from your friend Banjo!" And "Please make sure he gets my letter!"

Excuse me, I've just got something in my eye.

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 18:42:59

@SerenaVanDerWoodsen (love the name S)wink

I managed to fob him off with "Oh you know, he had fur, a tail, whiskers and pointy cat ears!"

EsmeeMerlin Mon 06-Aug-18 18:49:52

My ds (5) was not that impressed by it at all although did believe it was written by a cat. He thought it was good it mentioned one of our cats, but was just baffled by the whole thing. There is no back story, no illustrations on the letter and nothing that would explain how to make the most of it all as parents. I just find it all really random I must admit.

He did draw a picture back but was not at all fussed about using the stamps or posting it.

I think if there had been a backstory about the cat it would have gone down a lot better.

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 18:49:57

@Bryna
Yes, our letter was correctly addressed to ds (including middle name) however, we have the same surname. So it would have been difficult to get it wrong!

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 18:52:56

@EsmeeMerlin
I agree completely about the back story. I think it would have been better to come addressed to the parents including (an elaborate) back story. Then for the child to look under the sofa to collect their own letter.

Does anyone know when/if we are supposed to be getting a follow up letter?

Amummyatlast Mon 06-Aug-18 18:56:53

I agree esmee, it could have done with some instructions for parents.

I've just waffled a bit about cat mail and how maybe the next door's cat knows Bango, and she suggested leaving it on the sofa outside so the cat can get it, so maybe all is not lost.

tor that is so cute!

Salmonpinkcords Mon 06-Aug-18 19:02:18

My DDs have completely bought into it - I was a little surprised by the 7 year old but she wrote a reply straight away and has put it under the sofa for collection.
I had said banjo was a ginger cat though so I just glossed over that

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 19:14:03

@Amummyatlast Brilliant! There is hope at last!

Chrisinthemorning Mon 06-Aug-18 21:12:41

I am away at the moment with DS, DH is Home and says the letter has come. I’m a bit baffled about what I am supposed to be saying/ doing tbh!

Lariflete Mon 06-Aug-18 21:38:34

Are we supposed to be properly posting the letter off? DD loved it. She went straight to her room and wrote a letter back! It helped that I told her about meeting him a week ago so the story had time to settle in her brain grin

WindyWednesday Mon 06-Aug-18 21:46:42

Told DD a few weeks ago I’d met a cat who came in and we had a chat.

She said “I knew it, cats can talk” she is totally convinced. Has written a beautiful letter and posted it.

Mindfulofmuddle Mon 06-Aug-18 21:52:50

Are we supposed to actually send the letter the children write back to Banjo somewhere? DS really enjoyed receiving the letter and was very careful to check his reply had been collected from under the sofa grin

modzy78 Mon 06-Aug-18 22:03:14

I forgot to do the setup and am actually really glad I did. Otherwise, I would have had 2 weeks of being hounded with questions about when it will come. Instead, dd (5) was so excited to receive a letter. And she was keen to do everything. I'm really hoping there is a response and that it comes soon. Otherwise, we'll have to face constant questions. And I have a feeling we're going to be subscribing to this program when it becomes available.
Oh, quick tip. I've used a glue stick and glitter to make a couple of paw prints on a piece of cardboard to leave next to the sofa. It will look like the sneaky cat has left prints, which she'll really enjoy.

WhatsYourFuckingProblem Mon 06-Aug-18 22:08:12

DD wanted to know every detail about the cat! What he said, where I saw him. Then she came out with me to walk the dogs so I had to show her the exact spot I met him and she spent ten minutes looking for him herself.
She was so excited to receive the letter and has shown it to everyone.

torthecatlady Mon 06-Aug-18 22:51:12

@modzy78 Yep, I think we'll be continuing with the letters too after the test has finished! I wonder how much it costs and how it works.

WindyWednesday Tue 07-Aug-18 07:45:01

Do we get a second letter? We will be subscribing to this I’m sure.

SerenaVanDerWoodsen Tue 07-Aug-18 11:27:05

@torthecatlady thanks S xoxo grin

Your answer was much more non committal, wish I’d said that. Fortunately she hasn’t commented on his actual appearance.

Yes, how many letters do we get? DD is very excited for the twenty odd stamps...

FudgeyCookie Tue 07-Aug-18 13:53:15

Got home from.holiday today to a letter! Didnt even know i was expecing it, forgot all about applying tbh! Not really sure what to do now but dd has bought into it!

Bluetwirl Tue 07-Aug-18 16:22:44

We received the letter today too - correctly labelled.

I’d forgotten to do the set-up but had to answer a LOT of questions from DD about where I had lunch with a cat!

She is very desperate for a reply, I really hope we get a second letter or at least get a chance to sign up as she will be so disappointed if nothing else happens...

Help us Mumsnet!

tattymum76 Wed 08-Aug-18 18:34:00

My little boy was so excited to see his letter. We've just left a reply under the sofa. Only worry was he insisted we ask Banjo some questions... He's bound to be upset when those questions aren't answered in his reply especially since Banjo clearly knows so much about him already!

tattymum76 Wed 08-Aug-18 18:37:33

I wondered too if there was somewhere we could actually post his replies to. Not much info given to us! I want to tell them they're using the wrong surname.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: